Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
been out 12 years >

been out 12 years

been out 12 years

Old 09-01-2016, 05:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default been out 12 years

Quit racing in fall of 2004, so I have been out of the sport 12 years. But when did we quit racing offroad? 2015 ROAR nationals sweeper Ryan C running slicks in offroad? 2015 IFMAR Worlds run on carpet? When did we start running on road with jumps? I could handle hard pack clay with taper pins, but slicks and carpet? And the new RC10 is designed for carpet and you have to buy the dirt edition? What happened?

Watch the 1991 IFMAR world Amain 3rd, and that is what we should be running but with more jumps.

Last edited by racer1812; 09-01-2016 at 09:15 AM. Reason: language
Old 09-01-2016, 05:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big_Show View Post
Quit racing in fall of 2004, so I have been out of the sport 12 years. But when did we quit racing offroad? 2015 ROAR nationals sweeper Ryan C running slicks in offroad? 2015 IFMAR Worlds run on carpet? When did we start running on road with jumps? I could handle hard pack clay with taper pins, but slicks and carpet? And the new RC10 is designed for carpet and you have to buy the dirt edition? What happened?

Watch the 1991 IFMAR world Amain 3rd, and that is what we should be running but with more jumps.
Save yourself the headache and race 1/8th scale off road outdoors (nitro or electric) it's still on dirt.

Last edited by racer1812; 09-01-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:02 AM
Tech Regular

So, what is your point? If you don't like it, stay away.

Nah, really.
Downside of dirttracks is that they are hard to keep decent (lots of work). People just want to race. In Europe, the weather is weird, so in countries like the England, Germany and France you see more astro tracks because they are easier to keep good.
Also, the EOS is very populair in Europe and also helps on better 'slick' tracks. In the US you see more slick dirt tracks as well, why? Easier to maintain and more speed.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I came out of a 12yr retirement a few years ago as well. Ive yet to have to drive on carpet, sugar, etc. I have raced on a high bite track that required slicks though. There were slick tracks in 1999 so no different than today. You'll probably race on the same type of surfaces you raced on in 2004 so have fun with your taper pins. Now i agree holding the worlds on Carpet was stupid.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've been back in the hobby for a year and a half since I quit in 1995.
I personally LOVE the high bite clay. I haven't ran on carpet yet but I sure want to try it. Looks like fun!

One HUGE thing I noticed when I got back in the hobby was how long bearings were lasting and how clean everything stayed. Seems like I remembered that I was always cleaning cars and bearings and motors. I even still have a homemade ultrasonic bearing cleaner and remember using it almost every week. Well I just dismissed it as maybe remembering it wrong due to old age but then we ran outdoors....

Freakin dust and dirt everywhere! Spent the whole week cleaning the car and checking bearings and taking motors apart and cleaning them. With a wife and kid and 50-60 hours a week at work, I ain't got time to do that week after week. Sure it was a blast and we plan on running outdoors more but for our week after week club racing I like the consistency and cleanliness of high bite tracks.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:52 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

You want dirt then like mentioned above buy a 1/8th. Its dirt for sure as I know what my car looks like every run and I can say its dirt. One run and a new car looks ragged out. I like it for a change but don't like all the extra work to my car I need to do. Like many I work a lot and don't have hours to sit at home clean for a few hours. 1/10th off road I like to run and the tracks are more hard clay I still like it and its less work. For carpet well if that is all I had to run on I would find another hobby as carpet is for my dog to lay on. I don't want to see cars sponsored by sweeper companies.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

Off-road on office carpet/astro is the 2nd best thing that's happened to racing in the last 25 years. Don't knock it until you try it. I was a skeptic until I drove 2wd buggy on tight looped office carpet with min-pins and cut stagger ribs.

I was racing back in the "good old days" and the foggy memories are better than what we really had.

Last year and the next two years ARE the golden age of R/C. Don't miss out this time.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

@ Eddie E
I agree, a nicely made carpet/astro track can be just as nice as a dirt track (and more consistent). It doesn't have to be smooth with jumps. I've driven clay with slicks and i'd rather drive astro/carpet.
I've been racing since the early 80's on and off, but lipo/brushless/indoor offroad have been the biggest things ever.

The UK and Europe are very susceptible to rain, but even here in Texas, El Nino hasen't been too kind recently. So Indoor has to grow if you want to race all year.
In the UK i raced with a bread bag on my car with holes for the wheels, it wasn't fun but it was necessary!
Old 09-01-2016, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I came out from a 15 year hiatus... Raced on road and off road... 1/10 and 1/8 nitro. Got back 4 months ago.... Embraced the whole change and enjoying it. If you really love the hobby... You adapt to all the changes and enjoy it more. I just wish there we're iphones back then so we can easily record/document our races.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Lots of locals in our area were very vocal when our last dirt indoor track went carpet. I wasn't thrilled, but with no other option during the rainy season, I gave it a shot. I still miss dirt, but all of the advantages of carpet are hard to ignore. Tire wear is minimal, cars stay clean, racing seems tighter, track changes take a couple of hours, instead of several days. No tractors, compactors, water, special ventilation considerations to deal with moisture, and no landlords upset with potential damage to their property. If I were a track owner, it'd be hard to look past the advantages of turf or carpet. Problem is, too many racers in our area took their ball and went home. I guess it's better to NOT race at all?
Old 09-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Tech Champion

Astroturf seems more fun than carpet. Carpet is for onroad.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

My biggest complaint with the current state of indoor clay, besides the dirt in my bearings, is the constant need for tire voodoo. It seems on the East Coast, we have to do more than clean with simple green and sauce. When you finally find out what the A-main guys are doing, it's always some weird stuff like :

1.clean with bleach for 3 days then soak for 3 days in a mixture of unicorn pee, blood of a virgin harvested on a full moon and Liquid Wrench.
2. open bag at track, soak with break clean and set in on fire in your pit for 20 seconds. then add Reinos Ragu 4:10 before you run while doing a devil chant.

Back in the good old days (1990~1998?) we had sandy loam or similar and you just mounted fresh step-pins and drove until they wore out. With office carpet or turf we do the same. Anybody from anywhere can throw on a new set of Schumacher mini-pins, lower the ride height and throw it on the track and drive. No sauce or voodoo needed.
Add in running a gas leaf blower indoors and my asthma goes nuts.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I miss roostertails on actual dirt tracks.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I prefer to not spend an hour cleaning my car between heats. I'll take high bite clay in doors, in Nebraska, in January over no racing due to a sprinkle.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[email protected] 1991 IFMAR world Amain 3rd, i don't miss those Sanyos at 00.38! Also notice there are no massive jumps like nowadays either...

Now if i can race here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc1Pi4ARsiw
I'd be very happy!

Last edited by oldernoob; 09-01-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.