Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
13.5 4wd Buggy Racing >

13.5 4wd Buggy Racing

Like Tree25Likes

13.5 4wd Buggy Racing

Reply

Old 08-25-2016, 02:23 PM
  #16  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (141)
 
hacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vic, Australia
Posts: 3,137
Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by WillS View Post
My 2016 weighed in at 1620 out of the box with RSX, fullsize servo, tornado fan and protek shorty. So I am not sure why you claim it to be heavy. The 22-4 2.0 has loosen up the belts but it is no where near as free as the 2016. The b44.3 has won, but it has a lot of drivetrain drag, let alone its arm issue.

Now depending on track surfaces you run into issues. The TLR is probably the best all around IMHO. The Xray is best on high bite and can be loosen up to run on lower bite surfaces but at the costs of Xrays high prices. I have seen people happy with their zx6 but when I look at the 13.5 class, I see TLR and Xray as the majority at big races.
Normal or lcg shorty?
hacker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:32 PM
  #17  
Tech Master
iTrader: (42)
 
Fabulous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: WI.
Posts: 1,154
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Do any of you current commenters run 13.5 4wd Buggy?
Fabulous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:41 PM
  #18  
Tech Master
iTrader: (42)
 
Fabulous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: WI.
Posts: 1,154
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Responding to original question. The Hot Bodies D413 and the TLR 22-4 2.0 are the 13.5 Wheeler of choice at my home track.
Fabulous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:01 PM
  #19  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (81)
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,440
Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default

Stock racing is far more popular everywhere I've been in the past 5 or so years (since blinky rules went into effect). That is because it is more fun to more people. That is a fact.



Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
only benefit I saw was that 13.5 had a lot more cleaner racing.
There. It. Is. and it's the most important thing about 13.5 vs. mod.

The answer to the OP's question is, it doesn't matter. Most of the platforms are equally competitive. Pick the one you like the most and enjoy the lower maintenance, lower tire wear, and better, closer racing then you'll experience in modified.

Last edited by Matt Trimmings; 08-26-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Davidka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:04 PM
  #20  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 345
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by lyons238 View Post
but a light car i would say. b44.3 is light. sucks but its light.
ouch!
hsp-sandiego is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:03 PM
  #21  
Tech Master
iTrader: (31)
 
WillS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,199
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hacker View Post
Normal or lcg shorty?
Protek 4250
WillS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:06 PM
  #22  
Tech Master
iTrader: (31)
 
WillS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,199
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
Do any of you current commenters run 13.5 4wd Buggy?
I currently run it with a 22-4 2.0 with ball diffs. Tekin RSX, gen3 13.5, xpert 4431, protek 4250 and a wtf fan blowing on the motor.
WillS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:40 PM
  #23  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 7
Default

I drove one. What a fun class.
Popcornfart is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:01 AM
  #24  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 783
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Stock racing is far more popular everywhere I've been in the past 5 or so years (since blinky rules went into effect). That is because it is more fun to more people. That is a fact.

Your track's tire wear is irrelevant to people who race at different tracks with different surfaces.



There. It. Is. and it's the most important thing about 13.5 vs. mod.

The answer to the OP's question is, it doesn't matter. Most of the platforms are equally competitive. Pick the one you like the most and enjoy the lower maintenance, lower tire wear, and better, closer racing then you'll experience in modified.
the 4wd stock class at my track is dead. we all run mod. i dont think stock is popular because it's more fun. i think it's popular because it's easier for beginners or ------- drivers to control, with the addition of some small tracks.

mod is moar power. and don't we all remember? moar is better? these are factual bits of legislation here.

Last edited by Matt M.; 08-26-2016 at 07:10 AM.
lyons238 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:19 AM
  #25  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (81)
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,440
Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default

Edit: Matt's right..
Davidka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:20 AM
  #26  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (167)
 
Matt Trimmings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 6,244
Trader Rating: 167 (100%+)
Default

If you don't have any actual info to give to this thread and any other thread on this site then just don't post it.
Matt Trimmings is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:43 AM
  #27  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (28)
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,953
Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
lyons location says it all.
LMAO!! i just peed in my pants

Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
Do any of you current commenters run 13.5 4wd Buggy?
I do and am currently leading the point series in our triple state series and at every event my times have been fast enough to podium in the mod class...

Originally Posted by WillS View Post
I currently run it with a 22-4 2.0 with ball diffs. Tekin RSX, gen3 13.5, xpert 4431, protek 4250 and a wtf fan blowing on the motor.
Same here but still old faithful V1, HW 120 and Fantom 13.5 "T"

Originally Posted by lyons238 View Post
the 4wd stock class at my track is dead. we all run mod. i dont think stock is popular because it's more fun. i think it's popular because it's easier for beginners or ------- drivers to control, with the addition of some small tracks.

mod is moar power. and don't we all remember? moar is better? these are factual bits of legislation here.
You cant be serious, any one who thinks like that needsd more power just to hang. a fast driver with a controllable car will complete more laps that a sub par driver with more power, FACT.

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
If you don't have any actual info to give to this thread and any other thread on this site then just don't post it.
Truth
MantisWorx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:24 AM
  #28  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
Mudcat981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hanford, Ca
Posts: 803
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I run 13.5t because the class is there and its fun and can be faster around the track. I have used my 13.5 against 5.5 and still make podium because I was able to laydown consistant lap times.

OT: I run the TLR 22-4 1.0 and though not light as some say it is quick and always jumps and lands great. It does very well in 13.5, but I will say the 5.5 and a quad jump is exciting and expensive over time.
BLbound likes this.

Last edited by Matt Trimmings; 08-26-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Mudcat981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:30 AM
  #29  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (167)
 
Matt Trimmings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 6,244
Trader Rating: 167 (100%+)
Default

Last chance for this thread. Lyons238...you gave your opinion, if you don't have anything to positively contribute to this thread you can just forget this thread exists for all I care.
Matt Trimmings is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:06 AM
  #30  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (167)
 
Matt Trimmings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 6,244
Trader Rating: 167 (100%+)
Default

Cleaned up the thread. Let's keep the opinions to what the OP asked about. Which is the best buggy for 13.5 4wd...If the thread gets out of hand again then it will get closed again.
Matt Trimmings is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service