R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-31-2005, 04:03 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Stevietd14 Send a message via Yahoo to Stevietd14
Default Order of upgrades?

Now that I'm employed, I'm starting to rake in about $150 every two weeks.I have a wonderful FT T4, that I love and drive a lot.I have made a list of upgrades or new products that I want with my new $$ but need a little help on deciding which would be best to get first.

This is the order of what I think is best
1.$50 of parts for my T4.This is #1 no matter what because I really need a few things like a new body, and a RCscrewz kit!
2.A M8 radio.I have a MX3 right now but A buddy is selling his M8 with reciever + set of crystals for $100.I would keep my MX3 reciever so If I ever bought another car I wouldn't have to change etc.
3.FT B4.I've always liked buggy racing but haven't had the $ to get one.The only Problem I see with buying a buggy is having to switch some of my electronics each time I change cars.I have 2 full ESC/motor(SS5800 and GT7/stock) setups so this wouldnt be a problem, and If I bought #2 the reciever wouldnt be a problem either.The only thing I would have to switch would be a servo or buy one...
4.Servo for B4.Some used .10 or faster servo for $50 or so.
5.Additional Charger +PS if needed.Right now I use a Pulsar Comp and 12 amp PS so If I wanted another DC charger I would need another PS.I was thinking of a Quasar Pro for $80 or so.Right now I charge a couple batteries at home so I can get going at the track and never have to wait for batts to be done charging.
6.Personal Transponder.A couple buddies have them and it is super nice being able to check lap times during practice
7.Couple 19t and Stock Armatures.I have 3 stock motor possibilities and my 19t is .271 so Its done for....

Thats my list with my opinions, but I want to know what products you think would be most beneficial and what order.Thanks
Steve
Stevietd14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:39 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

The list looks pretty good, but I wouldn't get the radio and buy tires instead. Tires will help alot more on the track than any radio. Also if your going to buy a B4 just do yourself a favour and buy a servo just for that buggy, it will make your life alot easier.
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:20 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Tires and spare parts such as a-arms and shock towers if theres not an on site hobby shop at your track. If you plan on running nimh packs then I would recommend running matched packs. You can find 3300s cheap for less then $40 that will be more then enough for off road. You will also need a good battery equalizing trey. This will help to make sure the batteries don't overcharge and they will last much longer. Switching electronics is easy. Pick up some velcro tape at your local wal-mart and use it to hold in your esc/reciever. Buy a new servo for a new car. Messing with endpoint settings and re installing servo horns each time will become a hasle. You don't have any need for the m8. The xr3 is all you need. Your esc can easily be programmed to fit the needed power curve.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:52 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

I dont need tires being when I bought my truck it came with 25+ pairs of tires for my track.It also came with enough extra parts to build 2 extra trucks.I already have High voltage 3800's and Great 3300's.Just looking for opinions on whats listed mostly.Any other suggestions are welcome as well.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:30 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Instead of keeping your MX3, I would sell it and get buy a the PT(which you know you will be using) or second receiver, no need to keep a second radio when the M8 has a 10 model memory. You can always buy a used receiver when you get your B4.

The 12 amp power supply can handle two chargers unless you charge at over 5 ampswhich really isn't needed in offroad). I would also suggest looking at the Puslar Sport, it is very similar to your current charger with the exception that it only charges(makes it easy when both chargers are similar and do not require different techniques when programming).
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 10:32 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Thomas
Instead of keeping your MX3, I would sell it and get buy a the PT(which you know you will be using) or second receiver, no need to keep a second radio when the M8 has a 10 model memory. You can always buy a used receiver when you get your B4.

The 12 amp power supply can handle two chargers unless you charge at over 5 ampswhich really isn't needed in offroad). I would also suggest looking at the Puslar Sport, it is very similar to your current charger with the exception that it only charges(makes it easy when both chargers are similar and do not require different techniques when programming).
I was planning on selling the MX3 transmitter only if I bought the M8 and keeping the MX3's reciever.I charge at 6.5 amps for stock and 6 for Mod racing so my PS can't handle the dual charger load.I was looking at the Pulsar Sport because I already have the Motor run in feature on my Pulsar Comp so buying an additional Comp would serve no value.