Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Light weight SCT, worth the hassle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

All I did beside move the esc,remove the radio box for better balance chassis is cf front rear towers and remove all unnecessary plastics and I'm at 6.4lbs [rtr,body,wheels,batt]

Old 08-12-2016, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Nearly perfect weight bias.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lowe's48
Nearly perfect weight bias.

Nice mods. very well done, can you comment on before and after handling?
Old 08-12-2016, 02:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Might be fair to mention when your balancing your truck it's best to do it with the springs off the truck for those who might want to persue what Lowe's48 has done here. He knows about this, but I thought I would chime in on the factor of preloads. If you have more preload on one of the springs than the other, it will cause more pressure to force down on the scales giving one a false sense of actual balance.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:39 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh L
Might be fair to mention when your balancing your truck it's best to do it with the springs off the truck for those who might want to persue what Lowe's48 has done here. He knows about this, but I thought I would chime in on the factor of preloads. If you have more preload on one of the springs than the other, it will cause more pressure to force down on the scales giving one a false sense of actual balance.
+1 I remember having a good ol time with that

I think someone at one point recommended using lockouts?
Old 08-12-2016, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh L
I agree that also some scale not accurate. I have scale bought in harbor tools but not good might try skyrc corner scale.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

The Tekno has a servo,esc,motor,receiver box plus contents all on the right side and only a battery on the left side. In a stock form I felt I was always doing good on a counter clockwise layout and suffer on the clockwise layout. I believe its from the inconsistency of the weight from left to right. Scale shows approximately 65% right and 45% left on a stock form.Even if my scales are not totally accurate...this is big enough that i can feel.
In any case...the car feel very consistence now. Now I can't feel any inconsistency from doing left or right turn and also very forgiving and predictable as well.
To me this method may not be scientific enough for some of you but for me it is and the results shows.
May be some day I will remove the springs and weigh it just for giggle ....hope this helps.

Last edited by Lowe's48; 08-12-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lowe's48
In any case...the car feel very consistence now. Now I can't feel any inconsistency from doing left or right turn and also very forgiving and predictable as well.
To me this method may not be scientific enough for some of you but for me it is and the results shows.
May be some day I will remove the springs and weigh it just for giggle ....hope this helps.
Very cool, and thanks for the pics. I think what you did was great, and as stated can be nitpicked to death. That's what is so cool about this hobby, is you can take it as far as you want. I don't weigh my off road cars but do my 1/12, you take off road farther than I do and that's great. Apparently some weight with shock lock-outs or without springs. Either way, the enjoyment we get from driving, or racing, and also wrenching on them to the extent we desire, is what makes the hobby what it is for us as individuals. It's cool that we have boards like this to discuss what we do with others. RC on brothers!
Old 08-12-2016, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jbrow1
Very cool, and thanks for the pics. I think what you did was great, and as stated can be nitpicked to death. That's what is so cool about this hobby, is you can take it as far as you want. I don't weigh my off road cars but do my 1/12, you take off road farther than I do and that's great. Apparently some weight with shock lock-outs or without springs. Either way, the enjoyment we get from driving, or racing, and also wrenching on them to the extent we desire, is what makes the hobby what it is for us as individuals. It's cool that we have boards like this to discuss what we do with others. RC on brothers!
For sure
I must admit I probably spend more time wrenching and crunching numbers than hitting the tracks but when I do and if the performance on track matches what's on paper its pretty cool for sure.
RC on my friend.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:18 AM
Tech Adept

If you want ultralight sc try to get Team Durango Desc 410v2. Its not so robust than new bigger sc cars but it's very fast and agile if setup is perfect.
You can get it easily to 2500gr or 5.5 lbs
Old 08-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bigbearfin
If you want ultralight sc try to get Team Durango Desc 410v2. Its not so robust than new bigger sc cars but it's very fast and agile if setup is perfect.
You can get it easily to 2500gr or 5.5 lbs
For sure those Durango are light. Imo,depending on what type of tracks you're running on. The heavier car seem better on looser or Less traction situation and the lighter car seem to shine in high bite situation.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:18 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I gave some of those a look, if they didn'tneed the special wheels, would be cool to have one around as a lightweight indoor car.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Here's a video of my truck as you see in the photos in action. The race was yesterday,I started on the pole but a couple bobble gave away the win but 2nd isn't bad.Very happy with the truck performance...very agile and predictable.#teknorule
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGbGv1XNIYc
Old 08-15-2016, 12:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jbrow1
Well said!