R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree76Likes

Old 01-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #1066
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObuckiO View Post
I'll really think about going with that set up before I buy anything. Thanks a great deal.
No problem, I have had nothing but good times with my hobbywing setups.
Seen people have to change bearings in the Tekin motors upto 3 times a year, while I finally had to replace the motor bearings in the HW 4700 after a year and a half of thrashing the $#@! out of it.
But that is just my personal experience and what I have seen and may not apply to everyone.

Anyhow if you don't mind throwing down the coin, you might want to look at the hobbywing XR10 pro ESC. That sucker is super small and light, just like the orion ESC. It also supports the G2 Motors. While hobbywing doesn't advertise that ESC for the SCT class for some odd reason, many people are running them with great results. The only reason I didn't bring it up is because the price difference between it and the XR8 SCT is considerable for nothing much past size and weight differences. Both have all the same features and abilities. The XR8 SCT has an external wired switch and onboard caps, while the XR10 has the on off button onboard the ESC it's self with the caps wire mounted externally.

Here is a pick of a friend's SCT with the XR10 and the new 3652 G2 motor.
He loves it!

Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:37 PM   #1067
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

hey josh l i already build my losi 3.0 sct 4wd truck and i am plan to buy a new 1/8 sct pro esc and 4000 kv or 4300 kv motor soon
taztal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:48 PM   #1068
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=Josh L;14814864]No problem, I have had nothing but good times with my hobbywing setups.
Seen people have to change bearings in the Tekin motors upto 3 times a year, while I finally had to replace the motor bearings in the HW 4700 after a year and a half of thrashing the $#@! out of it.
But that is just my personal experience and what I have seen and may not apply to everyone.

Anyhow if you don't mind throwing down the coin, you might want to look at the hobbywing XR10 pro ESC. That sucker is super small and light, just like the orion ESC. It also supports the G2 Motors. While hobbywing doesn't advertise that ESC for the SCT class for some odd reason, many people are running them with great results. The only reason I didn't bring it up is because the price difference between it and the XR8 SCT is considerable for nothing much past size and weight differences. Both have all the same features and abilities. The XR8 SCT has an external wired switch and onboard caps, while the XR10 has the on off button onboard the ESC it's self with the caps wire mounted externally.

Here is a pick of a friend's SCT with the XR10 and the new 3652 G2 motor.
He loves it!

Aren't they bluetooth/app adjustable with a iPhone/Droid? We've also been wondering if they can be tuned over a Spectrum DX6R radio.

After looking around my stuff today, I found I had a Speed Passion Reventon pro brushless ESC(baby blue one). I bought it off a guy who got sponsored by another name. He said it was good.

But no matter, I'm going to see what the local guys think about your reccommendation. I'm only somewhat familiar on their buggy set ups.
ObuckiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #1069
Tech Addict

I would think you should be able to run the app on that radio no problem. The Dx6R is after all just an android based OS. The only thing that sorta sucks is the fact this is not built into the ESC and will require you purchase the wifi adapter for the ESC. The wifi unit works with all the new ESCs.

Wifi adapter
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #1070
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Hobby Wing ESC

on the HW XR8 SCT esc, I've tried an interesting feature that reduces the effects of motor braking which simulates having drag brakes. On the older HW combos, I've keenly felt the effects on off power braking effects which wasn't present on my Novak SCT ESC.

The new setting in HW works, but when I first tried it at 5%, it have some interesting side effects. It does a slow crawl when i just feather the throttle a little bit. I might have to try it at a lower 2% next time.

However, I do like the feature and it have helped immensely in the fast corners where I can roll through without dumping the speed nor the front end.
zzztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #1071
Tech Rookie

Got the 3.0 kit today and leaning to order the Orion Vortex VST 2 Pro 690 4P 1900Kv(ORI28270). $170. I'm uncertain on the ESC if I do finalize that decision, because the Hobby wing set-up is still on the list. Any input on this motor fella's? Maybe a proper ESC that'll fit for a coin or 2.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #1072
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Got the 3.0 kit today and leaning to order the Orion Vortex VST 2 Pro 690 4P 1900Kv(ORI28270). $170. I'm uncertain on the ESC if I do finalize that decision, because the Hobby wing set-up is still on the list. Any input on this motor fella's? Maybe a proper ESC that'll fit for a coin or 2.
maybe? Tekin RSX Mod Sensored/Sensorless D2 ESC
Old 01-26-2017, 07:34 PM   #1073
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
That motor for 1/8 scale only. Most track not allowed to run 1/8 scale motor for Short course track. Get the latest hobbywing combo motor and ESC XR10 or orionr10.1 pair with 4.0T 550 2pole motor. It's a beast motor i've been running this combo very smooth.
raved007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:31 PM   #1074
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
maybe? Tekin RSX Mod Sensored/Sensorless D2 ESC
The RSX is not rated for this truck. Tekin recommends the RX8 for 4wd SCT and the motors we run.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #1075
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
I run the R10.1 ESC in my 4wd SCT and it runs awesome.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #1076
Tech Rookie

Hey guys I have a question for you all. I'm new to 4wd sct racing. I have all the previous versions of this kit, but I haven't touched them in a long time and I never raced them. But I moved and my new track races this class so i picked up this kit and I also purchased the hobbywing 150a esc and 1900kv 1/8th scale motor. It says I can run 2s with it. Its also listed on hobbywing website as compatable with sct. Is this motor going to be competitive? Do I just need to gear the crap out of it? I'm kind of bummed that I wasted 260 bucks on the wrong motor esc combo.
sandwich949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #1077
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

ESC will be fine but that motor is wrong IMO. Will it work probably but we run 1900KV on 4S in 8th scale. I think it is way under the KV you would want to run for 2S racing. I would either try and return it if you have not installed it or sell the motor to an electric 8th scale guy and get a 550 or 540pole motor. It will be lighter and assuming you get someting in the 3300+KV range it should fit the application much better.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #1078
Tech Initiate

I'm going to order this truck next week and I just ordered the electronics, minus the servo I already have in my spare parts drawer. I'm glad I found this thread. I'm going to skim through the 70+ pages to see if I can find any set up info for carpet tracks.
I haven't been into surface radio in about 5 or 6 years (I'm into 3D flight), my daughter pulled me back into it after I seen how much she liked her Slash she received for Christmas. She never liked Barbie's or dolls, loves Legos, so I figured it would be a hit and I was right!

This is what I have:
RX8 gen 2
Pro4 HD 4300kv
Ko Propo rsx2 servo
SMC 7200 90c packs with 5mm inboard bullets
DE racing wheels, and I'm going to try JC bar codes (gold) as my first set.

What weight are you guys putting in the shocks for carpet racing?

Is my old DX3R a dinosaur radio now?
jk6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #1079
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
I'm going to order this truck next week and I just ordered the electronics, minus the servo I already have in my spare parts drawer. I'm glad I found this thread. I'm going to skim through the 70+ pages to see if I can find any set up info for carpet tracks.
I haven't been into surface radio in about 5 or 6 years (I'm into 3D flight), my daughter pulled me back into it after I seen how much she liked her Slash she received for Christmas. She never liked Barbie's or dolls, loves Legos, so I figured it would be a hit and I was right!

This is what I have:
RX8 gen 2
Pro4 HD 4300kv
Ko Propo rsx2 servo
SMC 7200 90c packs with 5mm inboard bullets
DE racing wheels, and I'm going to try JC bar codes (gold) as my first set.

What weight are you guys putting in the shocks for carpet racing?

Is my old DX3R a dinosaur radio now?
I wouldn't say its a dinosaur, but it is definitely showing it's age in tech and link quality.
I know that the Losi pros in here will suggest a Spektrum, as that is what most of them have to run. But if you really want a nice unit without breaking the bank I would suggest you look into the new MT-44 Sanwa or the Futaba 4PV now that both just released. Those are a nice system that comes on par with the higher end radios like the DX6R, Futaba 4PX, Airtronics M12S in functionality, speed and setup features that actually matter.

I own all of the radios mentioned outside of the DX6R. I have gotten to play around with that one though and I do like where they went with the Android OS. That is a great feature set for the future since almost everything can be linked to wireless these days with an app.
But all in all I find myself favoring my Futaba 4PX over everything at the moment, but that is just my personal preference from playing around with each and their settings. However if I didn't have those top radios setting around and I had to choose just one without paying out the yin yang, one of the two I suggested would probably be what I went with, especially over the cheaper spektrum units. (IE Anything less than the DX6R)
Old 01-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #1080
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
ESC will be fine but that motor is wrong IMO. Will it work probably but we run 1900KV on 4S in 8th scale. I think it is way under the KV you would want to run for 2S racing. I would either try and return it if you have not installed it or sell the motor to an electric 8th scale guy and get a 550 or 540pole motor. It will be lighter and assuming you get someting in the 3300+KV range it should fit the application much better.
The track allows 3s in 4wd sct. Should I just throw a 3s in it or switch motors? I really should just stick to 2wd. Thats my happy place.
sandwich949 is offline   Reply With Quote