Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree187Likes

TLR SCTE 3.0 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 01:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Josh L
I think the difference is what you drive on more than anything.

snipped
This is spot on and aligns well with my experience. In the UK for the last two years the Tekno has dominated the SC nationals. In fact the last round of 2016 all 10 in the A were Tekno's including mine and szymanski's. They do work well on certain tracks and I liked the front end bias on the chassis as I love lots of steering but they were not as nimble as the lighter trucks such as the old Durangos which went very well in the UK.

I am looking to have a more balanced truck for the full range of tracks from big outdoor dirt to indoor high grip astro and we think the Losi is ultimately the best route.

We shall see but it is harder to get going out of the box (or at least for me it is) but the potential seems higher.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Default scte

i liked my tekno 410.3, have had great fun racing it for about a year and a half, but for me i think the scte is a nice new toy to play with, something different to compete with next season against all the teknos that are currently dominating here in the UK. only run it once so cant really give you any more info than that, josh seems to be far more experienced than I on the comparisons!

Originally Posted by Thunder Trail
I'm a long time fan of the TLR trucks, but I know nothing about owning a Tekno. So, what Tekno are you guys swapping from? What do you think is better about the SCTE 3.0 verses the Tekno?
Old 10-25-2016, 08:03 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Josh-- The rear hubs were updated in plastic and much stronger. Alum hubs are still an option but I would not put them in the "must" upgrade pile any longer.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I have to agree with Casper on rear hubs. I replaced my aluminum hubs on my 2.0 with the 3.0 units. They are good to go. Better material front and rear. Thicker front arms will help with warping. Mine would bend if left in pit trailer on a hot day with tires on, suspension loaded. My fault, but I'm sure these will hold up better.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Josh L
I think the difference is what you drive on more than anything. The tekno is a heavier truck that has a forward weight bias more so than the SCTE. Many people have had problems with the Tekno nose diving over jumps and not wanting to turn as sharply as the SCTE. But these problems are easy to fix,

In the hands of a good driver who has the right knowledge to setup one up right, the Tekno does hold it's own on most tracks and is every bit as fast as the others in my opinion.

The SCTE on the other hand tends to be a nimble beast right out of the box without needing much done to achieve that light on it's toe's sort of feeling.

Tekno wins the consistency and durability race hands down as far as out of the box goes.

Now that the 3.0 is out, I will give it to LOSI for highly improving the kit parts list by supplying both ackerman links stock, improving on the ball link slop and equaling out the center drive line set. The addition of adding the newer dog bones and improving on the shocks and caster blocks really does a lot for it as well.

The must have list has drastically decreased from the 2.0 chassis.
Key points left, but see previous post to get the full scoop from Josh.
Originally Posted by cutting42
This is spot on and aligns well with my experience.

I am looking to have a more balanced truck for the full range of tracks from big outdoor dirt to indoor high grip astro and we think the Losi is ultimately the best route.
Originally Posted by szymanski2oo1
i liked my tekno 410.3, have had great fun racing it for about a year and a half, but for me i think the scte is a nice new toy to play with, something different to compete with next season against all the teknos that are currently dominating here in the UK.
Sorry, had to reduce this some..

Thanks for your response Guys. Josh does have the best take on this with owning both and having experience to speak from is a big plus. This is what I expected for the most part. Competition is good and these two trucks are the top dogs of the class. There are a few other custom rigs that can compete at this level, but they are not a readily available option.

I'll give up my short list for the 3.0 must have parts/fix items.

- X-Ray diff washers
- Shock Springs, +4 spring cups front/rear, all of my kit springs out of spec
- Serrated wheel nuts, quality aluminum units last a long time with 0 issues
- 59mm rear hinge pins, stock 58mm is not enough to reach depth of inserts
- 12mm clamping hex
- Custom lipo mount, move lipo toward outside of chassis, fix side to side chassis balance if you dare check

That's a short list IMO.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
Josh-- The rear hubs were updated in plastic and much stronger. Alum hubs are still an option but I would not put them in the "must" upgrade pile any longer.
Casper, I was referring to the rear diff bearing carriers in the rear diff case. If that is what you are talking about then I regress.
But they were a must have in the 2.0 in my opinion, for the plastic ones would eventually wobble out and cost you a bearing or two if you didn't pay attention to them.

These>

TLR3100
Aluminum Rear Gearbox Bearing Insert Set

Old 10-25-2016, 02:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Hubs to me are there outer uprights.

Yes I would agree the rear diff inserts are a good idea.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thunder Trail
Key points left, but see previous post to get the full scoop from Josh.

Sorry, had to reduce this some..

Thanks for your response Guys. Josh does have the best take on this with owning both and having experience to speak from is a big plus. This is what I expected for the most part. Competition is good and these two trucks are the top dogs of the class. There are a few other custom rigs that can compete at this level, but they are not a readily available option.

I'll give up my short list for the 3.0 must have parts/fix items.

- X-Ray diff washers
- Shock Springs, +4 spring cups front/rear, all of my kit springs out of spec
- Serrated wheel nuts, quality aluminum units last a long time with 0 issues
- 59mm rear hinge pins, stock 58mm is not enough to reach depth of inserts
- 12mm clamping hex
- Custom lipo mount, move lipo toward outside of chassis, fix side to side chassis balance if you dare check

That's a short list IMO.
Thanks for the list, would you happen to have p/n's for the 59mm rear hinge pins, the X-ray diff shims and do you have a brand preference on wheel nuts?

Thanks again for the info!!!

Scott
Old 10-26-2016, 01:00 PM
Tech Prophet

TLR Serrated nuts are great. (TLR33601 blue / TLR33600 black).

These are different then what comes in the kit and bite great.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccars4scott
Thanks for the list, would you happen to have p/n's for the 59mm rear hinge pins, the X-ray diff shims and do you have a brand preference on wheel nuts?

Thanks again for the info!!!

Scott
XRAY 964050 is part number for X-ray diff washers.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Casper are you running the 59mm rear pins?
Old 10-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

59mm hinge pins were available on the 2.0, but I'm using the M2C 59mm pins.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/m2c-rac...2c7127/p235452
http://m2cracing.com/product.sc?productId=468

TLR6080
Old 10-26-2016, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

This design works and I cant tell any difference from the Losi nuts made this way. Absolutely work as advertised. Can be hard to remove, don't over tighten.

http://www.rcmart.com/traxxas-1747r-...?cPath=421_343
https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Blue-.../dp/B000SU0IY0
Old 10-26-2016, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

This is great information, thanks so much. I just sold my trusty 2.0, hopefully the truck will work well on a medium sized 1/8th scale track. Reviews are mixed with some saying it was designed more with indoor tracks in mind but Maifield seemed okay with it this summer for the Nationals in Indiana. If Maifield can do it, so can I (tongue in cheek). Thanks again guys!!!!
Old 10-26-2016, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rccars4scott
This is great information, thanks so much. I just sold my trusty 2.0, hopefully the truck will work well on a medium sized 1/8th scale track. Reviews are mixed with some saying it was designed more with indoor tracks in mind but Maifield seemed okay with it this summer for the Nationals in Indiana. If Maifield can do it, so can I (tongue in cheek). Thanks again guys!!!!
I tried Maifields setup on our outdoor track. It was totally garbage.
Deleted comments

You have to keep in mind that the tracks the factory guys race on most of the time is closer to pavement than dirt.
Deleted comments

I stand Corrected, this is the link for the track per Frank
http://blog.jconcepts.net/2016/07/ro...sct-nationals/

Last edited by Thunder Trail; 10-27-2016 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Corrected link, deleted possible misleading comments

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.