Like Tree99Likes

TLR SCTE 3.0 Thread

Reply

Old 01-13-2018, 10:32 AM
  #1756  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Finland
Posts: 874
Default

Back from the race. Turns out the SC10 4x4 shocks worked very nicely, and the car in general. Except for a wheel coming off in the last final round, but that was my own amateur mistake obviously. Sadly the wheel got stripped quite round in the process, too, not sure if I can salvage it.

But other than the wheel nut coming off, I've been meaning to ask if others have been experiencing shock mounting screws coming out? Namely the bottom ones screwed into the arms. Just before the last final I had to screw two of them back in, as I had forgot to check them earlier (you might think that would've been a c(l)ue to check the wheel nuts, too). And it tends to happen every time I drive the car, to one degree or another.
tvih is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:25 PM
  #1757  
dtr
Tech Master
 
dtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: budapest, hungary
Posts: 1,529
Default

Right front and left rear, I bet. Use left threaded screws for those two, as is done on the 8ight cars.
dtr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:06 PM
  #1758  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 127
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tvih View Post
But other than the wheel nut coming off, I've been meaning to ask if others have been experiencing shock mounting screws coming out? Namely the bottom ones screwed into the arms. Just before the last final I had to screw two of them back in, as I had forgot to check them earlier (you might think that would've been a c(l)ue to check the wheel nuts, too). And it tends to happen every time I drive the car, to one degree or another.
I have always run longer shock mount screws. Not sure why. But if they are slightly longer they don't seem to loosen up anymore.
fordohio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:31 PM
  #1759  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (9)
 
moto44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 340
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default

Does anybody know the part numbers for the Kyosho shock springs for the Losi SCTE 3.0?
moto44 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:15 PM
  #1760  
Tech Master
iTrader: (66)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mc Rae, AR
Posts: 1,459
Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dtr View Post
Right front and left rear, I bet. Use left threaded screws for those two, as is done on the 8ight cars.
You are right on target with this info. This is the ultimate fix for Left rear and Right front. Still need longer screws for the other two as well. The reason for the left rear and right front screws backing out is pressure and rotation of shock end on every landing is constantly trying to turn the screw out. Seems strange but this is true.
Originally Posted by fordohio View Post
I have always run longer shock mount screws. Not sure why. But if they are slightly longer they don't seem to loosen up anymore.
This seems to work nearly as good as reverse thread. The lower shock screws are too short to start with and you get a lot more threads to bite with a longer screw. A touch of CA glue will get you by until you get longer screws.

Originally Posted by moto44 View Post
Does anybody know the part numbers for the Kyosho shock springs for the Losi SCTE 3.0?
I have not run them, but others have. They are pricey and you may need to try a couple of sets before you find what you like. I suggest you get as close as you can to the same spring rates as kit springs. They got the rates right, but QC on Kit spring material seems to be lacking.

People continue to have problems with kit springs, so it's obvious no action has been taken to correct the issue. After 17 months we are nearly trained to accept this as normal. Some will say it's OK because there is something wrong with every RC. I think it's disappointing to see the #1 truck have ongoing problems like this. The few running changes needed are long overdue. Would be nice to see problems resolved and advertised as such. Still love the truck.
Thunder Trail is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:25 AM
  #1761  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Finland
Posts: 874
Default

Hmm... SAE screws are such a pain to get here. If I understand correctly a 5-40 size screw is equivalent to roughly M3.2, which means a regular M3 size screw would be loose on the threads but M3.5 might be too tight for the shock bottoms (haven't measured yet). I suppose SAE-wise 5-40x7/8" would be the proper longer replacement.

Although I suppose the screws backing out isn't a big deal as long as I remember to check them every few heats, but as demonstrated that is not a given I'm actually surprised the front right screw hadn't falled off entirely, because I don't think it even went through the shock bottom anymore at that point!

Anyway, I think it's time to see if I can salvage that wheel or not. Don't have any spare wheels currently.

Oooh but before I go, gotta say it is a sturdy car - while the track didn't have a long main straight being a small track, I was going at it as fast as possible when suddenly a wild SCT appeared that had ended up going in the wrong direction (jumped a divider) and we had a full-speed collision. Only got a few new cracks in the front of my body (and of course lost time) for the trouble!
tvih is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:00 PM
  #1762  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (9)
 
moto44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 340
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default

I was looking for the Kyosho spring equivalent part number for the;

Losi front springs Brown

Losi rear springs Silver

Anybody known the part numbers? Thanks
moto44 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:08 PM
  #1763  
Tech Master
iTrader: (66)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mc Rae, AR
Posts: 1,459
Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tvih View Post
Hmm... SAE screws are such a pain to get here. If I understand correctly a 5-40 size screw is equivalent to roughly M3.2, which means a regular M3 size screw would be loose on the threads but M3.5 might be too tight for the shock bottoms (haven't measured yet). I suppose SAE-wise 5-40x7/8" would be the proper longer replacement.

Although I suppose the screws backing out isn't a big deal as long as I remember to check them every few heats, but as demonstrated that is not a given I'm actually surprised the front right screw hadn't falled off entirely, because I don't think it even went through the shock bottom anymore at that point!

Anyway, I think it's time to see if I can salvage that wheel or not. Don't have any spare wheels currently.

Oooh but before I go, gotta say it is a sturdy car - while the track didn't have a long main straight being a small track, I was going at it as fast as possible when suddenly a wild SCT appeared that had ended up going in the wrong direction (jumped a divider) and we had a full-speed collision. Only got a few new cracks in the front of my body (and of course lost time) for the trouble!
IMO, It is best to stick with stock hardware. It makes life much easier if you don't have to fight to make other stuff work. Order some spares now so you will have them. Complete hardware sets on flebay for $20 or so.

Originally Posted by moto44 View Post
I was looking for the Kyosho spring equivalent part number for the;

Losi front springs Brown

Losi rear springs Silver

Anybody known the part numbers? Thanks
Kyosho is a different animal when it comes to how they list springs. It makes it hard to know what you are getting before you order. At $20 for 2 springs plus shipping you will not find many people use them. Many other readily available options that cost much less are easy to get. Even so, maybe this will help you decipher the K-Code for shock springs. If all else fails contact Kyosho America and they will email you the info they have. Maybe springs for the SC6. However, these will be for a 2wd mid motor truck and likely not stiff enough for 4wd rig.

https://teamtobamiester.files.wordpr...1-0thamson.pdf

https://www.rctech.net/forum/attachm...ng_chart-1.jpg
Thunder Trail is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:18 AM
  #1764  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Finland
Posts: 874
Default

Originally Posted by Thunder Trail View Post
IMO, It is best to stick with stock hardware. It makes life much easier if you don't have to fight to make other stuff work. Order some spares now so you will have them. Complete hardware sets on flebay for $20 or so.
Those sets usually are in the US, meaning doubling the price with shipping and then probably customs + taxes on top, ending up nearly triple that total. I've been meaning to order a set for my SC10 too, but that has kept me from doing it. For my metric vehicles I finally have a pretty good selection of spare screws and nuts, but not so lucky with the imperial ones.

Ah well, as said I probably just better learn to check on the screws more frequently.
tvih is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:40 AM
  #1765  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 22
Default

Originally Posted by moto44 View Post
I was looking for the Kyosho spring equivalent part number for the;

Losi front springs Brown

Losi rear springs Silver

Anybody known the part numbers? Thanks
Front Red - XGS021 - 4.03
Yellow - XGS022 - 4.20
Orange - XGS023 - ??

Rear Red - XGS031 - 2.56
Yellow - XGS032 - 2.63
Orange - XGS033- ??

Losi browns are 4.7 and silvers are 3.4. assuming this is all correct I would morelikly try Oranges.
Aligater likes this.
jay_959 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:09 PM
  #1766  
Tech Adept
 
Barillms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 232
Default

Get Kyosho Truck FRONTS and run them on all 4 corners. The Kyosho truck rear springs rub on the losi shock body and its annoying. I run Red truck fronts on the front. And Gold truck fronts on the rear.
Aligater likes this.
Barillms is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:06 AM
  #1767  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Finland
Posts: 874
Default

Wouldn't the front spring be rather stiff for use in the rear?
tvih is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:31 AM
  #1768  
Tech Adept
 
Barillms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 232
Default

The Kyosho springs are definitely stiff enough. These forums give alot of misinformation. The Kyosho SC6 Front springs should be used on all 4 corners of the SCTE. The SC6 rears springs are too long and rub the shock body. The fronts fit perfectly. They work well with stock length shocks and the long shock conversion.

Get the Mediums for the Rear. And the Med-Hard for the front. Google the Spring chart and you can see all the part numbers.
Barillms is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:38 AM
  #1769  
Tech Adept
 
Barillms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 232
Default

Originally Posted by tvih View Post
Wouldn't the front spring be rather stiff for use in the rear?
They're fine. The SC6 is a 3.5lb light truck. The SCTE is a 7lb truck. Big difference
Barillms is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:37 PM
  #1770  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
rcgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 3,080
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Barillms View Post
The Kyosho springs are definitely stiff enough. These forums give alot of misinformation. The Kyosho SC6 Front springs should be used on all 4 corners of the SCTE. The SC6 rears springs are too long and rub the shock body. The fronts fit perfectly. They work well with stock length shocks and the long shock conversion.

Get the Mediums for the Rear. And the Med-Hard for the front. Google the Spring chart and you can see all the part numbers.
Do you have a link to the chart that shows the spring rates for these springs?
rcgod is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service