Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Who went from a 6s back to a 4s on buggy? >

Who went from a 6s back to a 4s on buggy?

Who went from a 6s back to a 4s on buggy?

Old 07-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Who went from a 6s back to a 4s on buggy?

Read many threads on the 6s/4s subject, trying 6S in my serpent 811 buggy right now, but the battery boxes are made for bullet type batteries, which my 6s are not. I see a lot of shorty pack 2s batteries at 150 grams each, compared to 290 grams for my 3s packs.

Is the runtime / temp THAT much better? Those shorty packs are looking pretty attractive.

I'm mostly playing around in the park, want to occasionally hit the track
Old 07-08-2016, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah, if you are serious about the racing.
As far as club racing or semi-casual racing I'd say meh.
I run 4s 6500 packs on my ebuggy, but I only run practice days, even though they are heavy they are fine if one wants to race once in a while. Going to a pair of shorty packs is a lot of weight reduction and I'm sure one could tell the difference.
I like my 20+ minute run times and batteries that never get much over 100 degrees, though.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You can't modify the battery boxes?

I know with my 4500mah 6s (606grams) I get about 26 min of run time on the track. I'd probably get more if I didn't run drag brake at 12%. Esc temp is 105 with ambient temps currently 95+. My batteries are barely warm after it runs 20mins for practice laps and probably will never puff. At the races, I see many racers with puffed 4s batteries for their buggies.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NoobRacer View Post
You can't modify the battery boxes?

I know with my 4500mah 6s (606grams) I get about 26 min of run time on the track. I'd probably get more if I didn't run drag brake at 12%. Esc temp is 105 with ambient temps currently 95+. My batteries are barely warm after it runs 20mins for practice laps and probably will never puff. At the races, I see many racers with puffed 4s batteries for their buggies.
I modded them a little but the wires come up top right where the posts to hold the clamp are..

what motor are you running?
Old 07-09-2016, 12:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

1350kv x8st toro motor. Cost 60 bucks new and is sensored. Been running for a month and half with no issues. They also make one nonsensored version that is 6 pole for 35 bucks. I might buy it for back up. Might work well for you if you're only bashing.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Always been in 4S !
Old 07-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

4S has been the sweet spot for me.

I have 2s/3s packs - I'm not real concerned with the weight I suppose.

With 1 3S pack I don't seem to have the torque to level the buggy midair - 4S makes all the difference. I've noted no substantial difference in running temps on the motor or esc between 3 and 4s.

6S is simply too much. I can drive it, but I'm actually faster on my local backyard tracks with the 3/4s.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2stroketim View Post
4S has been the sweet spot for me.

I have 2s/3s packs - I'm not real concerned with the weight I suppose.

With 1 3S pack I don't seem to have the torque to level the buggy midair - 4S makes all the difference. I've noted no substantial difference in running temps on the motor or esc between 3 and 4s.

6S is simply too much. I can drive it, but I'm actually faster on my local backyard tracks with the 3/4s.

6s geared and setup correctly isn't too much, it's the same as 4s on the track or bashing. If you don't adjust kv to match the voltage then you will see what you say "too much". 6s can be setup to run the same net speed with substantially less amp draw and longer battery life when setup correctly. That said Roar and most tracks limit to 4s, so if you really plan on racing much go w/ a 4s setup. 1800kv to 1900kv in 1:8 is ideal, geared correctly for your buggy. I've tried shorty and the smc 6500 packs in my buggy, tbh for offroad outdoor racing go w/ the 6500 4s packs every day of the week, combine with a ec5 connector and you'll never have issues and packs will last much longer and runtime is great. Shorty packs are typically bullet and can be an issue if you dont watch your plugs close, swap as needed to maintain a solid connection. More connections, more issues. Personally I won't run anything in 1/8 with out EC5 and only wired packs, I'm done w/ bullet packs in 1/8, can you make it work yes, is it worth the effort and time, imo No.

I ran 6s for years, swapped to 4s as tracks became more rigid w/ rules and also to eliminate ignorant people from complaining when someone does well with a 6s setup complaining some how a low kv/battery setup gives any advantage on lap times. Pretty funny what people whine about