Your favorite Tire Sauce recipe >

Your favorite Tire Sauce recipe

Like Tree59Likes

Your favorite Tire Sauce recipe

Old 06-28-2016, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Your favorite Tire Sauce recipe

Looking for a good homemade tire sauce. It's getting expensive buying sauce every few weeks for $10-15 a pop.

Our track is damp, red clay. We typically run M4 Primes.

Anyone have a good tire sauce/traction compound recipe you'd be willing to share? FDJ seems to be a popular one at my track and seems to work well, just not sure what it's composed of. Any ideas? Or know of something better?

Basically what makes M4 tires the stickiest? And dries in a decent time? I've tried WD40 and PB Blaster, but they seem to take FOREVER to dry and actually get sticky.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

liquid wrench is really good
petersen114 likes this.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

mixing blue liquid wrench and chlorinated brake cleaner. if you can find it. can only get the non-chlorinated stuff here in california. not sure of the preferred mixture so i'll leave that out.

you want this stuff: https://www.zoro.com/crc-brake-parts...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

i've also heard that the teal colored liquid wrench is basically similar to the above formula (which of course, i can't get the teal stuff, not sure they even make it anymore).

Last edited by RC*PHREAK; 06-28-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Check with your track also before using the Liquid Wrench or WD-40.... some track in our area don't want any of those being used.

What seems to be popular in our area and what I've been using is FTM Grip.
petersen114 likes this.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

My track pretty much allows anything.

And I'm not looking for a ready-made product...there's already a thread for that. But wondering what recipes you guys have come up with that works as good (or better) than the store-bought stuff.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:53 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Sticky Kicks and FDJ are my go to traction compounds.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

There's a couple guys at our track that make their own to sell, but none will share a recipe and don't blame them.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xjwolfpacker
My track pretty much allows anything.
If that's the (unfortunate) case, on slicks, raw diesel fuel is known to work pretty well.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:30 PM
Tech Champion

Tag body spray
Simple green

Then apply a mix of coleman camp fuel and mineral oil and mineral spirits. (SXT, don't drink it)

Oil of wintergreen in mineral spirits and xylene still rules though, if you want to go through the hassle of mixing it properly. (Trinity buggy grip)
Old 06-28-2016, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by snwchris
There's a couple guys at our track that make their own to sell, but none will share a recipe and don't blame them.
Because it's not the healthy fume free stuff people claim it is.

If I sold my tire sauce at the track, I wouldn't even use my real name for racing.

Just because SXT is odorless doesn't mean it's save to huff. I find it odd that people get headaches from Buggy Grip and not SXT. Because they're all pretty nasty, even if your nose doesn't notice them.
Antimullet likes this.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:02 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xjwolfpacker
Looking for a good homemade tire sauce. It's getting expensive buying sauce every few weeks for $10-15 a pop.

Our track is damp, red clay. We typically run M4 Primes.

Anyone have a good tire sauce/traction compound recipe you'd be willing to share? FDJ seems to be a popular one at my track and seems to work well, just not sure what it's composed of. Any ideas? Or know of something better?

Basically what makes M4 tires the stickiest? And dries in a decent time? I've tried WD40 and PB Blaster, but they seem to take FOREVER to dry and actually get sticky.
Interesting that m4s are the tire of choice, in my experience clay coumpounds definetly seemed to react better to sauce than m4 or ss. You might try gold dirtweb/smoothys or some mc primes. Dont be discouraged if they dont work right away sometimes they need to scrub in first, you can help that along with a 80grit sanding block.

Have never found a better suace for Jc golds than blue can LW, dirt cheap also.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:04 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
If that's the (unfortunate) case, on slicks, raw diesel fuel is known to work pretty well.
This. Diesel can not be beat. Both for cancer causing through inhalation, and traction.
Gyr0 and Antimullet like this.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 380 (99%+)

Originally Posted by JsK
Interesting that m4s are the tire of choice, in my experience clay coumpounds definetly seemed to react better to sauce than m4 or ss. You might try gold dirtweb/smoothys or some mc primes. Dont be discouraged if they dont work right away sometimes they need to scrub in first, you can help that along with a 80grit sanding block.

Have never found a better suace for Jc golds than blue can LW, dirt cheap also.
Have you noticed any adverse effects from using the LW? I have used it and Sticky Kicks on our indoor track, but people were telling me that the LW would swell the tires. Traction was great with it.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:49 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jonski
Have you noticed any adverse effects from using the LW? I have used it and Sticky Kicks on our indoor track, but people were telling me that the LW would swell the tires. Traction was great with it.
It'll swell them after awhile.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

I thought the yellow top lubricant LR was always the LR to use. Never heard of anyone using the penetrating LR

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.