Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Your favorite Tire Sauce recipe >

Your favorite Tire Sauce recipe

Like Tree48Likes

Your favorite Tire Sauce recipe

Old 02-06-2019, 06:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I started racing last year and my local track is sauce heavy. I started with Sticky Kicks Pink, and it didn't bother me much. After I used it up I tried SK Purple, which is said to be a more aggressive formula. Its most noticeable difference... it makes me sick. I can't stand do be next to a set of tires that has absorbed a few treatments of SK Purple. Headaches mostly. Pink also does this, but only after prolonged exposure. I'm not sure about how this would affect me long term, but it does concern me. I'll definitely start using gloves to keep this crap off my hands, and it makes me want to go to the track less.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default Thoughts on sauce

I can’t believe what I’m reading. Are you telling me that getting naphtha, diesel fuel, acetone, xylene, and other yummy chemicals all over your hands is bad for you? Are you also saying that breathing in the fumes all day while persuing your hobby can affect you? Geez, next someone will tell me that smoking is bad for me? The thing about sauce is that if no one uses it, everyone will have to deal with the same conditions. This debate has been going on for years, and I simply vote with my pocketbook. I race less and never take my kids with me to the track. With so many tracks closing, you would think that track owners would try to do everything to improve attendance, and not have the facility smell like a paint can. Oh well, at least when all of the tracks close, we can bash outside without sauce. By the way, tracks in other countries mostly ban sauce, but we enjoy our freedom to harm ourselves. Aren’t we the best?
Old 02-06-2019, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Look up diehard rc on liverc. Indoor carpet track that doesn’t allow tire sauce. They average 140-150 entries on a normal race day. One race had 192 entries.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Dust, mold, chemical products and high wear associated with indoor clay track made me move away from them years ago.

Astroturf FTW... And indoor carpet if its too cold.. Because winter..

It's sad to see how Off-road is struggling getting their sauce issue under control. On road still use it, but they managed to sort everything out years ago with a single formula being used pretty much worldwide (SXT3.0)
Old 02-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brutus279 View Post
Dust, mold, chemical products and high wear associated with indoor clay track made me move away from them years ago.

Astroturf FTW... And indoor carpet if its too cold.. Because winter..

It's sad to see how Off-road is struggling getting their sauce issue under control. On road still use it, but they managed to sort everything out years ago with a single formula being used pretty much worldwide (SXT3.0)
Any idea what is in SXT3.0? Curious if it would work on clay tires. I can put my liquid wrench away and use it for its actual purpose.. and I am getting low on Sticky Kicks.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

SXT 3.0 works on MC and M4. I will be using SXT Baja and gonna try SXT Max Baja per a AE driver I have known for many years. Aaron Kothman used SXT 3.0 at Makintrax with success.Which is High grip clay. Aaron Kothman is a TLR driver. Guys are really liking SXT 3.0 at Makintrax. They were using sticjy Kicks purple.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't know, I guess I'm crazy, but I like the smell of Sticky Kicks
Old 02-07-2019, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Default More thoughts

This post isn’t meant to single any one out, but just because you don’t feel the affects now, doesn’t mean you won’t later on. You shouldn’t get headaches playing with toy cars, and you shouldn’t develop a chemical sensitivity. For those that say they are fine, and haven’t experienced any negative affects, some smokers are fine too, but no one advocates that smoking is safe. This is a hobby, it is not a job, and no one has to do it. The short sightedness in this hobby is staggering and the ignorance is alarming. The best solution is to ban the sauce. Short of that, racers should ban together and spec a sauce similar to what on road and clubs in other countries have done (ie: sxt) Nothing will change until racers speak with their wallets. Anyone want a smoke?
Old 02-07-2019, 09:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
Short of that, racers should ban together and spec a sauce similar to what on road and clubs in other countries have done (ie: sxt)
As asked above, is sxt actually any better, & what's in it?

Our carpet off road track only allows sxt. Not sure if I should feel safer or not...
Old 02-08-2019, 06:19 AM
Tech Master

Sxt 3.0 has very little if any odor (I’ve smelled it.) While not a total ban, it is far better than the chemical brews being used now. I race in an 11000 sq ft warehouse with 30 ft ceilings. On race days, the entire building smells like a paint can 2 hours after opening. Racers use whatever sauce they want including homemade sauces (because they don’t want to spend $10 every few months.) On nice cool days, no one wants to open the door to air the place out because the track loses a little bit of grip. This is insanity and most of the indoor dirt/clay tracks I have been to are the same. This is supposed to be a hobby. Years ago, when tracks banned paragon, they allowed low and non odor sauces. How are the current sauces low and non odor? If you come home and all of your clothes stink like sauce, it is not low and non-odor.
Big_Show and I_NeedBigDrink like this.

Last edited by billjacobs; 02-08-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:02 PM
Tech Addict

FYI, TDK Repair has recently released a set of non-toxic, biodegradable, eco-friendly tire sauce. I asked them to send me the two sauces for review and can vouch that they work. The odorless is pretty mild, so I would skip that unless there is a no odor policy at your track.

They also have MSDS so you can see what is in them. I'm not sponsored by them or anything (though they sent me the bottles for free), but the hazards of the existing sauces on the market concern me and I'm happy to see a company try to address this. I plan to buy more when my current sauce runs out.

https://www.tdkrepair.com/tire-traction

Preview video:
I_NeedBigDrink likes this.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 244 (100%+)

This for dirt, carpet, asphalt?
Old 03-08-2019, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

I don't believe in using tire sauce. If your tires taste bad, buy better tires.

- - -

Seriously though, the first step to getting sticky tires is to WASH THEM. If you don't scrub them clean with dish soap, the rubber won't be as sticky as it could be no matter what you slather on it. At the track I went to a few times, I always saw several people brushing tire sauce onto tires covered with clay dust.

Also, I bought a bottle of Sticky Kicks a while ago, and after sniffing it a few times because I was sure I could recognize the smell, I eventually figured out it's just Orange Glo (orange oil surface cleaner) with a little extra...odorless mineral spirits, maybe?...to help the oil soak in and soften the rubber. I imagine any similar product would work about the same.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 03-08-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RazorRC View Post
FYI, TDK Repair has recently released a set of non-toxic, biodegradable, eco-friendly tire sauce. I asked them to send me the two sauces for review and can vouch that they work. The odorless is pretty mild, so I would skip that unless there is a no odor policy at your track.

They also have MSDS so you can see what is in them. I'm not sponsored by them or anything (though they sent me the bottles for free), but the hazards of the existing sauces on the market concern me and I'm happy to see a company try to address this. I plan to buy more when my current sauce runs out.

https://www.tdkrepair.com/tire-traction

Preview video:
https://youtu.be/1QM56iggYQU
Kudos to TDK for making MSDS data readily available. I had a hard time finding it for SXT, but I did find it eventually here:

http://www.hrpdealer.com/sds/sxt00030.pdf

Actually sounds like, so long as you're not drinking/swimming in the stuff, there's no real concerns.
I_NeedBigDrink likes this.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 244 (100%+)

I believe MSDS sheets were also meant to show the actual ingredients...don't see that in either of these.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service