R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree26Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #106
Tech Elite
 
"Smiley"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cypress, Tx
Posts: 4,558
Trader Rating: 166 (98%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snwchris View Post
Had a super fun day racing after be off for 3wks and was trying out some new pistons, the VRP Game Changers for my Agama A215e and really liked how they felt and how much more I could push the car and watch it soak up even more rough. It was nice to see on the first few laps of practice how much you could see the difference in the buggy and how well it improved and was on rails
Awesome! Sounds like the GameChangers are working well for you!
__________________
Vision Racing Products | Team Associated | AKA | Tekin | Sanwa | VP Powermaster Fuel | RC Concepts Engines | MIP | Avid | Boom RC Graphics | Paint By: "Smiley"

Vision Racing Products (VRP)- www.visionracingproducts.com
"Smiley" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #107
Tech Master
 
snwchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,473
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Yes, was very impressed with them and even through the day how the car just felt even more planted. I was at this same track 3wks ago and was a little rough, but this past weekend had some more rough spots and some spots were blown out and the car just soaked it up and raced right across everything.
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #108
Tech Elite
 
Motorman007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,967
Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default

Smiley what should be a starting Oil for my Kyosho mp9 tki4? I was told to get the 8 HP from your Dude.
thank you for your time.
__________________
YOU WILL (ALWAYSWIN).....
Motorman007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #109
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 24
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

We have a track in San Angelo and it is always hot, loose and rough will these pistons be an improvement over the stock Losi 8ight e 4.0? Looking for any advantage on such a loose rough track.
Scubasteve73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #110
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 155
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

I have xv2 pistons with 37.5 F/32.5 R on my 7r eco...upgraded to gamechangers.should I go heavier or lighter?? I mainly race on a hard packed clay track (mikes)
angels05ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:11 PM   #111
Tech Apprentice
 
Andybellus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 51
Default

What makes a piston High Pack vs Medium Pack vs. Low pack?

I ask as I've ordered the full gamechanger 1.3x6 hole and 1.3x8 hole high pack kits for me and a buddy and was thinking about ordering up just the pistons so we both have a set of 6 and 8 hole. However I noticed when choosing the piston only on your site it asks what pack you want. So is the "pack" built into the piston?

FYI, will be used with RC8B3e

Last edited by Andybellus; 07-19-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Andybellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #112
Tech Elite
 
"Smiley"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cypress, Tx
Posts: 4,558
Trader Rating: 166 (98%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman007 View Post
Smiley what should be a starting Oil for my Kyosho mp9 tki4? I was told to get the 8 HP from your Dude.
thank you for your time.
Most like the Medium pack 8 hole. That would be a really good starting point.
__________________
Vision Racing Products | Team Associated | AKA | Tekin | Sanwa | VP Powermaster Fuel | RC Concepts Engines | MIP | Avid | Boom RC Graphics | Paint By: "Smiley"

Vision Racing Products (VRP)- www.visionracingproducts.com
"Smiley" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:21 PM   #113
Tech Elite
 
"Smiley"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cypress, Tx
Posts: 4,558
Trader Rating: 166 (98%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasteve73 View Post
We have a track in San Angelo and it is always hot, loose and rough will these pistons be an improvement over the stock Losi 8ight e 4.0? Looking for any advantage on such a loose rough track.
For a loose, rough track, start with 8 hole in low pack. The reason for low pack is you dont need your car to pack as much on a rougher track.
__________________
Vision Racing Products | Team Associated | AKA | Tekin | Sanwa | VP Powermaster Fuel | RC Concepts Engines | MIP | Avid | Boom RC Graphics | Paint By: "Smiley"

Vision Racing Products (VRP)- www.visionracingproducts.com
"Smiley" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #114
Tech Elite
 
"Smiley"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cypress, Tx
Posts: 4,558
Trader Rating: 166 (98%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels05ss View Post
I have xv2 pistons with 37.5 F/32.5 R on my 7r eco...upgraded to gamechangers.should I go heavier or lighter?? I mainly race on a hard packed clay track (mikes)

Same oils. Due to how hot it is, You may go up 2.5 in oil, But thats the most you would have to adjust it.
__________________
Vision Racing Products | Team Associated | AKA | Tekin | Sanwa | VP Powermaster Fuel | RC Concepts Engines | MIP | Avid | Boom RC Graphics | Paint By: "Smiley"

Vision Racing Products (VRP)- www.visionracingproducts.com
"Smiley" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #115
Tech Elite
 
"Smiley"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cypress, Tx
Posts: 4,558
Trader Rating: 166 (98%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybellus View Post
What makes a piston High Pack vs Medium Pack vs. Low pack?

I ask as I've ordered the full gamechanger 1.3x6 hole and 1.3x8 hole high pack kits for me and a buddy and was thinking about ordering up just the pistons so we both have a set of 6 and 8 hole. However I noticed when choosing the piston only on your site it asks what pack you want. So is the "pack" built into the piston?

FYI, will be used with RC8B3e


The pistons pack is determined by the height the carbon valve sits above the return holes. Thats what creates the different variations of pack. Most people typically start out with 6 hole medium pack.
__________________
Vision Racing Products | Team Associated | AKA | Tekin | Sanwa | VP Powermaster Fuel | RC Concepts Engines | MIP | Avid | Boom RC Graphics | Paint By: "Smiley"

Vision Racing Products (VRP)- www.visionracingproducts.com
"Smiley" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #116
Tech Fanatic
 
vwduud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Prairieville, LA
Posts: 922
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Smiley" View Post
The pistons pack is determined by the height the carbon valve sits above the return holes. Thats what creates the different variations of pack. Most people typically start out with 6 hole medium pack.
When physically comparing a low to a high pack piston (either by "eye" or measuring with a caliper), is the difference in the thickness of the piston under the carbon valves at the return holes very much?

I started out with some high pack 8 x 1.3's GameChangers for Tekno (the complete piston kit with washers and valves). Then I purchased just the low pack 8 x 1.3 pistons (no washers or valves). When comparing the 2 pistons, the difference in the above mentioned thickness was minimal. Barely visible by eye and measured only slightly different on the caliper (with the low pack being thinner).
__________________
Jim Brown
Agama A215E, Rx8 G3, 1900kv, Savox 2273, SMC, 4PX
Sponsors: Agama, RC Crew Chief (chassis tuning S/W)
SCR (just outside New Orleans) - https://www.facebook.com/scr.raceway
vwduud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:11 PM   #117
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15
Default

May take a look at the Agama A215e...
jeremyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:06 AM   #118
Tech Elite
 
"Smiley"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cypress, Tx
Posts: 4,558
Trader Rating: 166 (98%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwduud View Post
When physically comparing a low to a high pack piston (either by "eye" or measuring with a caliper), is the difference in the thickness of the piston under the carbon valves at the return holes very much?

I started out with some high pack 8 x 1.3's GameChangers for Tekno (the complete piston kit with washers and valves). Then I purchased just the low pack 8 x 1.3 pistons (no washers or valves). When comparing the 2 pistons, the difference in the above mentioned thickness was minimal. Barely visible by eye and measured only slightly different on the caliper (with the low pack being thinner).
Yes, It is very minimal. But it makes a big difference.
__________________
Vision Racing Products | Team Associated | AKA | Tekin | Sanwa | VP Powermaster Fuel | RC Concepts Engines | MIP | Avid | Boom RC Graphics | Paint By: "Smiley"

Vision Racing Products (VRP)- www.visionracingproducts.com
"Smiley" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #119
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 29,550
Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)
Default

alright I found a deal on some of these that i may give a go. My question is this, since medium pack is the standard, how useful are these when you go to a high traction track versus a low traction one?

Basically, are they more universal or do I need to consider a different setup for pistons at that point?

this would be on a Team Durango DESC10 going from outdoor loose like that vid I posted to a carpet track that i made custom pistons for.

By the way, if you guys have plans to make any new versions of gamechangers, if its possible to make a version that lets you tune the pack without needing another piston set (so you get a 8 hole piston setup that includes low, medium, high pack options that just bolt on) I think that would be really cool.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno EB48SL / SCT410.3 | Tekno EB410 x 2 | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2 | LC Racing EMB-1 Buggies and Truggies >
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:20 AM   #120
Tech Elite
 
"Smiley"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cypress, Tx
Posts: 4,558
Trader Rating: 166 (98%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
alright I found a deal on some of these that i may give a go. My question is this, since medium pack is the standard, how useful are these when you go to a high traction track versus a low traction one?

Basically, are they more universal or do I need to consider a different setup for pistons at that point?

this would be on a Team Durango DESC10 going from outdoor loose like that vid I posted to a carpet track that i made custom pistons for.

By the way, if you guys have plans to make any new versions of gamechangers, if its possible to make a version that lets you tune the pack without needing another piston set (so you get a 8 hole piston setup that includes low, medium, high pack options that just bolt on) I think that would be really cool.

The pistons are universal. Some people including myself like to mix them, meaning run high pack in the front and medium or low pack in the back. Most of the time, you need the front to pack more than the rear. So, this is a good option.

As for a newer version, we are always testing new things. But, the GameChangers are here to stay for sure!
__________________
Vision Racing Products | Team Associated | AKA | Tekin | Sanwa | VP Powermaster Fuel | RC Concepts Engines | MIP | Avid | Boom RC Graphics | Paint By: "Smiley"

Vision Racing Products (VRP)- www.visionracingproducts.com
"Smiley" is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:20 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net