Community
Wiki Posts
Search

help newbie with 1/8th electric racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 07:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default help newbie with 1/8th electric racing

Hey all. So I have the opportunity to get into 1/8 scale racing (insert squeal of glee here). I was wanting to know which vehicle of these two I should get and why. Team Associated RC8 B3e or Tekno EB48.3.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-20-2016, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

which ever buggy is more popular at the track you race at.
better chance of someone having the part you end up breaking.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Two different platforms there. Not saying one could not act like the other though. Why don't you like 4.0 TLR?
Old 06-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Certainly look into what's most popular at the tracks you frequent. I was in your position just a few weeks back and found a smoking deal on an old Mugen MBX6, that's has been awesome for me to learn on and play with. But it's normally the only one of it's kind in the building. All the Tekno guys share setup tips and parts and such, and that is absolutely invaluable as you start out. This is assuming you don't have a bucket of spare parts or complete knowledge of how to setup a 1/8 buggy to conditions with your eyes closed.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Until AE revises the parts problem they have Ill say go with Tekno. Most (90%) of the guys that run or ran AE around my area had mad issues with plastics breaking. Most of them ended selling the cars but some of them are bound to it due to sponsorship but still pissed off. Save yourself the headaches and go Tekno.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Honestly, those two cars drive differently, and you may not like one versus the other. Your best bet is to either find someone who has both, and see if they'll let you go for a test drive. The caveat there is that you'd be better suited running the box stock setup for each one, versus the "hot ticket" setup from (insert some factory driver's name here). Then you choose the car that felt the best to YOU.

The other option is to look for a used buggy, try it out, and if you don't like it, sell it for what you paid (maybe a little less). Once you've tried a few different ones, you'll find the one that you like best. Transferring your electronics over between kits is a way to save some $$.

......or you can take the most direct approach, and do like what others have said. Choose the car that has the most local racer support, and most parts availability wherever you plan to buy your stuff. Starting out, you'll need racer advice, and likely parts as you make changes to the car.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks JRSlash. My choice is only between the two cars I mentioned. I have plenty (decades) of experience in 1/10 but 1/8 is new. Whoo hoo! Anyone else, please feel free to chime in. Thanks guys.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DRJVogel
Thanks JRSlash. My choice is only between the two cars I mentioned. I have plenty (decades) of experience in 1/10 but 1/8 is new. Whoo hoo! Anyone else, please feel free to chime in. Thanks guys.
No problemo.... I would suggest to keep an open mind toward another brands too.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the post RCmenace. I keep hearing, "Tekno. No, Assocated. No Tekno..."
Old 06-21-2016, 01:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

ignore brands for a minute.

Pillow ball cars are typically cars that are faster on sweeping high speed tracks. They carve turns and have to be driven differently.

C Hub cars square turns up more (think motocross turns)

Both can be made to work on any track.

I recommend Tekno for obvious reasons , but in reality since you're new to it, I suggest going with the popular brand at your track so that you can get help and parts when needed. That being said, my best friend and travel partner runs for AE, so I can tell you that you really can't go wrong either way.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Bob Barry. I loved my B4 and I love my B5M so Team Associated is fantastic stuff in my experience but I think most of the guys at the track are going with Tekno.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I went with the EB48.3 and couldn't be happier. It can throw down just like AE but can handle the mishaps.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RcJunky76
...the EB48.3 can handle the mishaps.
You obviously know the way I drive!
Old 06-21-2016, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

I purchased an RC8B3E soon after it was released and I'd say it has served me very well since then. The buggy is is very tame and controllable and has tons of steering which helps for our local tight track. I can't speak for anything like plastics breaking but then again our track doesn't have massive triples or anything like that.

I did however had to purchased the V2 diffs which was a little disheartening since I paid so much for the buggy already. I had all sorts of leaking and mesh issues with the diffs that come with the kit I just couldn't take it. The V2's cost around $100 for all 3.

You basically have aggressive buggies and more tamed ones. The RC8B3E would fall into the balanced catagory along with Mugen and Losi and Tekno would fall under aggressive. Definitely see what everyone else runs above all else before you make a decision as it helps a ton. Also consider parts availability.

I came from racing a Losi 8ight 2.0 E as my first 1/8 scale buggy. It felt a little more nimble but not nearly as stable.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

My biggest battle with my losi 3.0 again was always the turning radius but jumping and landing was beautiful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.