R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Kyosho Ultima RZ6 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/948467-kyosho-ultima-rz6.html)

Kraig 05-02-2016 02:44 PM

Introducing the RZ6 Conversion Set based on the ULTIMA RB6 prototype driven by Team Kyosho International's Jared Tebo (USA) for the TQ at the IFMAR Electric Off-Road World Championship held in October 2015 at Yatabe Arena, Ibaragi Japan.

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/thumbna...axx=640&maxy=0

The RZ6 Conversion Set incorporates the rear section of the Lazer ZX6 and the front the RB6. With its low center of gravity and concentrated mass balance, the RZ6 delivers improved performance over surface gaps and prevents high-side. In addition, the change of the drive system from gear down to the more linear shaft drive system produces a level of controll never felt before.

Please note when purchasing that this product is a conversion set that uses parts of the ULTIMA RB6 (No.34301, or No.30068) and is not a complete kit.

Conversion Set includes main chassis, side guard set, universal swing shafts, center shaft, gear parts and a new special RZ6 body.

Shaft drive delivers a throttle response with direct feel for more delicate machine control and improved jumping posture.

Technical Data
Length 388mm
Width 248mm
Height 140mm
Wheelbase 295mm
Tread (F/R) 221mm / 201mm
Gear Ratio 2.50:1 (secondary reduction gear ratio), Spur 78T/ pinion gear sold separately

scoobyrs25 05-02-2016 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by chriso138 (Post 14515132)
How are you liking the rz6 so far? I've been thinking about getting the conversion to try on turf or high bite clay.

Actually this weekend was a huge improvement. I lightened up the rear shock oil and moved the esc to behind the motor (super clean). It was very smooth and easy to drive. I would like to try the ball diff and some pink or white rear springs. They are currently gold.

cnelson3 05-02-2016 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyrs25 (Post 14515256)
Actually this weekend was a huge improvement. I lightened up the rear shock oil and moved the esc to behind the motor (super clean). It was very smooth and easy to drive. I would like to try the ball diff and some pink or white rear springs. They are currently gold.

are the hubs all the way forward in the arms? I'm about to pull the trigger on the RZ6 and your layout was the same layout I started with on my ZX6. I remember how much traction I had but didn't steer worth a darn. That was the ZX6 though.

cnelson3 05-02-2016 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyrs25 (Post 14515256)

are the hubs all the way forward in the arms? I'm about to pull the trigger on the RZ6 and your layout was the same layout I started with on my ZX6. I remember how much traction I had but didn't steer worth a darn. That was the ZX6 though.

scoobyrs25 05-02-2016 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by cnelson3 (Post 14515386)

Interesting. I have plenty of steering with my ZX6 setup this way. I'll check my hubs tonight. If they are not all the way forward, they will be. This chassis is way longer than the RB6.

scoobyrs25 05-02-2016 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by cnelson3 (Post 14515386)

Interesting. I have plenty of steering with my ZX6 setup this way. I'll check my hubs tonight. If they are not all the way forward, they will be. This chassis is way longer than the RB6.

scoobyrs25 05-16-2016 06:54 PM

RZ6 update.

I love it. After moving the speed control to behind the motor and adding .5 ounce of weight just behind the battery, the car is dialed. I run on a track that slicks work great on. I'm confident it would work really well on a looser surface too.

GIHOSU 06-07-2016 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kraig (Post 14558552)
I have my RZ6 working pretty good on dirt right now. It is very easy to drive consistently. I will post my setup after this weekend when I will be able to really gauge as to how it is working against others.

Did you build the gear diff with the conversion parts? I have the aluminum diff cover, thinking I should build it up the gear diff with it. I will try both and see what works best. :tire:

Originally Posted by Gayosaka (Post 14558657)
Please keep us informed :nod:

I am curious too.

Kraig 06-08-2016 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by GIHOSU (Post 14559339)
Did you build the gear diff with the conversion parts? I have the aluminum diff cover, thinking I should build it up the gear diff with it. I will try both and see what works best. :tire:

I built the gear diff without the bearing modification (others have mentioned this mod) and tried it for one run. I probably had the wrong weight of oil in it and didn't like how it felt. So I built up a ball diff and I have been using that. I will probably try the gear diff again but I plan on using/trying something other than 5k.

raz14 06-08-2016 01:48 PM

RZ6 low traction questions:

1. How does the RZ6 fare compared to the RB6 MM for low traction?
2. Will it squat and transfer the weight to the rear?
3. Is it capable of getting comparable rear grip and if so how?
4. Is there anti-squat adjustment?

Kraig 06-12-2016 09:11 AM

My RZ6 was pretty good last night. I will get the setup posted later today. I just came in to do some other things, i.e. make sure nobody was causing trouble. :)

I will say this though. With my RB6 it wasn't reactive like my sons RB6. So I am trying to figure out what the problem is because I really believe that is holding my RZ6 back right now. Maybe you guys and girls can see something on the setup sheet I am missing or did wrong.

Stay tuned!

Kraig 06-12-2016 04:13 PM

RZ6 Dirt Setup

Here is what I used this past Saturday. My hot lap was .1 off of the TQ's hot lap and he was running a 22 3.0. There is more in the car, just need to work on my driving issues. :blush:

ralphee 06-13-2016 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kraig (Post 14564600)
Welcome.

I have been up and down in ride height. There is something in this front end that is leaving me scratching my head. Maybe it is electronics related, not sure. Hopefully I find it otherwise it is time to swap front ends between the two cars. :)

Kraig

I run on medium grip carpet. On the more open fast layouts we put down, the car is insane, soooo good, but, the tighter tracks with sharp 180 hairpins, she pushes off power terrible.
Im trying a shorter wheelbase next week, moving the hub 2mm forward. I will say flip your rack though, and get at least 20g under the steering bellcranks, that REALLY helps.
Ive a few things to try with advice from the UK team guys, so im eager to get the balance right, as like you, lots of rear end, just need the front to start gripping a little better, but its a fantastic car, on power corner speed is just spot on.
Also, try going one hole out on your rear tower.

lee

Kraig 06-13-2016 10:14 AM

Thanks!

I went back and read my radio manual again and found some options in it that I did not know existed. So I am going to try that before I start changing things on the car. The only reason why I am trying the radio is that right now, on the front, that is the only thing that is different between our two cars.

As for the rear shocks, I had to move them to the back of the arm to help with the rear grip. Once I did that I had the rear just the way I wanted it to feel.

So next trip to the track I am going after;
Radio changes
Steering rack change
Weight on front end
Playing with the rear hub spacing to see what that will do.

Kraig 06-13-2016 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by scoobyrs25 (Post 14564630)
Try shortening the wheelbase by moving your rear hubs and arms forward. My shocks are up front and my speedo behind the motor. I'm also using the gear diff with 2k oil and it works great.

I had 5k in my diff and that didn't work out so well. I will get some 2k and give it a try in the future.

I moved the shocks, because it was easier to do at the track. Maybe my next step will be to move the speed control behind the motor like you suggested but I need to get the front to feel like I want it to feel.