Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree7Likes

Kyosho Ultima RZ6

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-22-2016, 06:15 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Kyosho Ultima RZ6
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kraig
Shameless Plug Kyosho RZ-6, the 2015 IFMAR World’s Top Qualifying Car Model.
-------------------------------------------
Find out how Jason Dias lost some weight on his RZ6. Click here.
------------------------------------------
Editable setup sheets.
Sheet 1
Sheet 2
Shock building, alternative method.

Fill the oil up to the first thread.
Extend the shock shaft so the eyelet bottomed out on the shock bottom.
Place the piston into the shock body but let gravity pull it down into the body.
Once the shock bottom reaches the shock body help align it into the body so that the treads line up.
Turn the shock bottom so that it starts to thread into the body.
Wait for 1 second to give the excess oil time to escape.
Continue to turn, wait, turn, wait process until the shock bottom is tight.
Pump the shock shaft a few times and then bottom out the eyelet to the bottom of the shock and release.
Hopefully you should not have any rebound or maybe just a little bit.
If you have more than you like, loosen the shock bottom, push the shock shaft down, wait for a little bit and then re-tighten the shock bottom.
-----------------------------------------
Jared Tebo shock building video.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

2-15 IFMAR Worlds, A-main #1. Jared Tebo TQ using the RZ6.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
I was told, the RZ6 on carpet is like cheating, and he had a 6.6. So I would assume the RZ6 is better on carpet. I've never ran mine on carpet though. On clay it is pretty good!
It's really good in mod. Stock not so good.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jag5508
I could use a turf and carpet setup if you still have one ?
Sorry jagg I sold the car a while back and haven't been on this forum. Apologize for not responding sooner
Old 11-03-2017, 09:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This car really is basically cheating on carpet in mod class. First race out with it and got a tq and win in the A main!
Old 04-11-2019, 03:13 AM
Tech Initiate

If anyone is after a RZ6 give me a shout. Have a very clean one that has been converted to a RZ7. So all the RB7 and RX7 front and rear bits installed. Pro painted shell, used for 20 mins and shoo gued inside. Includes all the original parts.

Drop me a Pm if anyone is interested.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hey, guys just bought a used chassis anyone have a decent carpet setup for a converted RZ7? Currently has a gear diff with unknown weight for fluid. What is a good 17.5 gearing to start with? I've also read about moving the esc to behind the motor. Is that the preferred layout for carpet? Thanks.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

I have my esc in front, hearing for my fantom 17.5 is 72/27. I’ve copied setups from the rb7. Love my car but it’s lacking on my tight track. Chassis is a little too long. I have my f/r shocks similar to rb7 setups. My main concern was getting my motor to be fast, I feel that the traditional 3 gear has more punch. A b64 fan mount is beneficial in keeping the more running cool

Old 12-05-2019, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

I’m using AE springs, red front blue rear. Tlr 37/32 oil, 5k diff oil. Medium shock ends.c-in/B-in for the rear pills. These are just some of the key features that will help the car, still playing with swat bars, currently using a 1.2 bar

Old 12-06-2019, 06:48 AM
Tech Master

Ok, thanks for the info. It will give me a starting point.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

I finally got around to running the buggy. I had to change the springs to a little harder ones and went up in shock oil. It seemed to start to handle pretty well.

I did have a problem where my brand new 17.5 motor seemed gutless on the bottom end and had no punch at all. Went up and down in gearing and it didn't seem to help much. Has a brand new lipo too. I messed with the slipper thinking that was the problem. But now I think I stripped a gear in the diff. So that will come apart and get new diff oil. It seemed like the buggy had torque steer or something at the beginning of the night, so I keep messing with the slipper. But it was probably more tires, since I tired a different set.

My Rb6 has way more punch. I've read that this buggy doesn't seem to have good low end in 17.5. Why would that be? The drivetrain is really smooth and free. I was thinking of swapping all my electronic from my RB6 over to the RZ and see if that helps. If not I guess it will get a mod motor.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scrad
I finally got around to running the buggy. I had to change the springs to a little harder ones and went up in shock oil. It seemed to start to handle pretty well.

I did have a problem where my brand new 17.5 motor seemed gutless on the bottom end and had no punch at all. Went up and down in gearing and it didn't seem to help much. Has a brand new lipo too. I messed with the slipper thinking that was the problem. But now I think I stripped a gear in the diff. So that will come apart and get new diff oil. It seemed like the buggy had torque steer or something at the beginning of the night, so I keep messing with the slipper. But it was probably more tires, since I tired a different set.

My Rb6 has way more punch. I've read that this buggy doesn't seem to have good low end in 17.5. Why would that be? The drivetrain is really smooth and free. I was thinking of swapping all my electronic from my RB6 over to the RZ and see if that helps. If not I guess it will get a mod motor.

I would be curious to see how all the rotating drivetrain parts between the rb6 and rz6 compare on a gram scale. it may be enough to cause the “sluggish feel” you and others have noticed.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

I just pulled the gear diff out and noticed that it is a metal ring and pinion gear. I didn't know it was metal. I thought I stripped some teeth, but i found out it didn't have some screws in the case were it should have, so that is why it must have messed up the mesh.
Is the metal on metal gears how they come in the kit? It does seems kinda heavy, so that might be one issue.
What side of the gear case should the ring gear be on for a gear diff? I have it on the right side of the case like the manual shows and now it runs in reverse.
I switched out all my electronic with my RB6 that I know work good, so I'll see how the torque is next time out. I put the other motor in the RB6 with the same gearing it was before to rule out the motor.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The metal gears are what came with the RZ6 conversion. It's a gear diff. If you run on dirt you can swap in a ball diff from the 4wd cars. But you will need to use other parts from the 4wd as well (see the manual).

Since it's running in reverse, take the diff back out and flip it over. Use some white grease on the gears too, makes a huge difference.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

I'm running carpet, so I need the gear diff. I have a few ball diffs from my Lazer zx5 4wd I could try if needed. So I take it a gear diff goes in the opposite way as a ball diff? Because, I checked my TF5 and Zx5 manuals which are ball diff and the online manual I found for the rz6 they all have it the same way, right side.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It all depends on motor placement on the chassis. The zx5 has the motor up front. Starting with he zx6, they give the option of moving the motor to the front or back of the car. The RZ has the motor at the back, so it should spin the drivetrain the opposite direction. But just flip the diff in the case (rechecking your mesh) and you should be good.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

If anyone is looking for a NIB RZ6 kit message me. I have 2 of them that I never got around to building.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.