R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-22-2005, 09:00 AM   #1
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Default XX4 or XXX4?

I posted this on another forum, but I'd like to get as many viewpoints as I can before jumping in the deep end head first...

I'm contemplating a return to off road, and seriously thinking about running a 4wd car again. It's been more than 15 years since I last raced anything with jumps, and almost 18 since I last ran a 4wd car.

Obviously, there is a reason Losi is re-releasing the XX4we, so my question to you guys is, for a very large outdoor track that seems to be taking on a looser surface (it opens in the spring, current photo below), what is the ideal choice of the two Losi cars? I believe that there will be a heavy 1/8th gas and nitro truck presence at this track, and because it is a brand new facility, we don't know what the dirt composition will be, or even what the surface is going to be groomed like. It's kind of a guess, I think, at this point.

TIA,

doug

squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:30 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

The reason that losi brought back the xx-4 is because it excels at rough tracks and that was the situtation in the worlds this year. The xxx-4 was built for the more smooth tracks. Both cars are more than capable when setup properly. Myself I have the XXX-4 G+ and like it. The J Concepts BJ4 is also another candidate to look at. One of the new Team Checkpoint motors would also be great in any of the above mentioned cars for the kind of track pictured because of its high rpm. IMO
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I've now run both cars. (XX4 for only a handful of laps though) and I can tell already, the XX4 is by far the superior car. Especially for a rough track. And if there's a heavy 1/8 scale turnout, your track will be rough. The XX4 was much more stable and easy to drive even after only a few laps with it and even with old belts that were skipping and eventually gave out (the car I ran was one of the originals and has been on a shelf for years) it accelerated just as hard as my XXX4 did. I'd go for the XX4 any day. Time won't make a good design slower.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:24 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to knucklebusta

What do you guys think about broken belts in the XX-4. The guy I bought it from said it was never a problem for him, and he raced. I'm just curious, do all 3 belts have a tendency to break. Is this exclusive to racing? What can be done to prevent the belts from breaking if anythink.

Kevin
knucklebusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
Tech Champion

From everything I've heard, the belts are actually very tough. My car had been shelved for years and the belts sat in the same spot for that long and probably just dried up and developed a weak point. We'll see after a few weeks of racing how well they hold up. But Losi belts always wore well when I ran the XXXS a couple years ago.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:21 PM   #6
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
I posted this on another forum, but I'd like to get as many viewpoints as I can before jumping in the deep end head first...

I'm contemplating a return to off road, and seriously thinking about running a 4wd car again. It's been more than 15 years since I last raced anything with jumps, and almost 18 since I last ran a 4wd car.

Obviously, there is a reason Losi is re-releasing the XX4we, so my question to you guys is, for a very large outdoor track that seems to be taking on a looser surface (it opens in the spring, current photo below), what is the ideal choice of the two Losi cars? I believe that there will be a heavy 1/8th gas and nitro truck presence at this track, and because it is a brand new facility, we don't know what the dirt composition will be, or even what the surface is going to be groomed like. It's kind of a guess, I think, at this point.

TIA,

doug

First:
Dude, that is a friggin' sweet facility!

Second:
Get off the shed!
Phatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatkat
First:
Dude, that is a friggin' sweet facility!

Second:
Get off the shed!
I'll have to agree with you (there's a first time for everything ) Those elevation changes are awesome. 1/10 scale almost seems like it'd be too small for that track.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:36 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

X5 This is the best of both worlds. Single belt of the xxx4, awesome handling of the xx4. I own one and I love it. A little spendy, but worth it!
SNIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:35 PM   #9
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

I think the track is really oriented to 1/8th gas, for some reason. I do believe that they will alter the layout (smaller) for electric days, but the elevation changes are awesome. There will be a similar paved track behind the driver's stand, as well. I am pretty sure the track is only roughed in at this point. We still a long, hard winter in front of us.

I like the X5, but for a class that is still one of those red-headed stepchildren, it's tough to justify the final cost for that and the BJ4. It's hard enough to dump 4 bills on a touring car, and the luxo TC cars at least are CNC pieces of artwork. I don't even know if 4wd will be a populated class in this area. At this point, I'm hoping and speculating.

doug
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:37 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 1armed1

Doug,
Choosing from those two, xx4 hands down.
It is a lot better car when the track gets rough.
I will be at leisure on monday if everything is a go for practice.
i will have my xx4 and zx-5 there.
Come check them out, I may even let ya take em for a spin.
Dayton
1armed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 08:40 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklebusta
What do you guys think about broken belts in the XX-4. The guy I bought it from said it was never a problem for him, and he raced. I'm just curious, do all 3 belts have a tendency to break. Is this exclusive to racing? What can be done to prevent the belts from breaking if anythink.

Kevin
To be totally honest if you set the slipper up properly you won't have any trouble with the belts, the rear belts are pretty bullet proof but the side/front belts do snap if you don't get the slipper right.
The key to a good slipper is to take out the plastic spacer from the slipper assembly and replace it with 2 gold wshers as they won't compress when you tighten the slipper nut and set it to slip for about 2-3 foot.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:38 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to SirSpeedy Send a message via AIM to SirSpeedy Send a message via Yahoo to SirSpeedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
...and the luxo TC cars at least are CNC pieces of artwork.....

I would say the BJ is pretty damn awesome in that respect.