R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-25-2005, 07:07 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

An os21rg is the perfect practice engine if you ask me. Cheap to buy and runs good. If your motor was putting out the rpms and your car wasn't going anywhere I'd look for some other problems also like in the clutch or diffs.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 08:08 PM   #32
Tech Addict

Unhappy

ok guys i just ran into a serious problem while mucking around with the xb8(sh engine) and i was reving it out doing a few passes and then took it onto the grass and did race style driving in a figure 8 and all was well mind you the body was off and then i went to see how it would donut on grass dirt and i tried on concrete then the worst happened when trying to donut on dirt i did a slide and then went into a spin and fully reved it out and then bam it happened no power to my wheels my engine was reving out when throttle on and hardly much acceleration my guess is ive done some diff damage somewhere, any knowledge on what would have went first the rear.mid or front i dont know what happened. (these things are powerful and full of grunt but on the other hand they are so damn delicate).
shouldnt i be able to rev it out, i suppose i was driveing it a bit hardcore but arnt they spose to handle it? what are the drivig limits. i mean im not going to rev it flat chat for for 5 mins but i should be able to give it a thrashing without the diffs, transmition going why did it do this i honestly thought they could handle it.
the car is clearly reving to max throttle but only reaches about 1/4 of max speed very slow acceleration oh and so you know what its doing i could even hold it with all wheels on ground and rev the engine so the cvd's spun and the car was not moving as i had hold of it but it didnt want to run away like it normally would it just reved with no power to wheels slipping.
ping idea alert it just hit me it could be the clutch? but that dont make sense seeing as though the cvd's are spining but wheels arnt damn it.
i just unluky.
downunder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 08:49 PM   #33
Tech Addict

Sounds like you might have broken the pins that connect the bone to the drive cup and wheel axle.
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 10:44 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SavageSYNTH25

Downunder: C'mon man, take it a little easier on that XB8! They are great cars, but will only take so much!!! LOL............

Sounds like your OS has finally given up, huh? I'd pull the SH out of the XB8 and stick it in the Inferno, and get a nicer engine for the XB8.

I would suggest the OS V-Spec or the JP FX21 B5. Those are tourqey motors, and should give you awesome performance. Watch the top end on the OS though, it doesn't like to rev out too far........

A wider setup will help prevent rollovers, but a longer wheelbase won't (more than likely). If you are rolling the buggy, I would probably suggest letting off the throttle a bit LOL!. But if it is just traction rolling.......run a little negative camber in the rear, and a thicker sway bar in the rear. Your suspension may be a bit to stiff as well, try to lay the shocks down more and use a softer spring. A long wheelbase setting will help it slide a little better though, if that's what you're looking for. Also, using a light diff oil in the rear and a heavier diff oil in the center will help it slide.

As for your damage: Check to be that your motor mount screws didnt come loose? The motor may just be rocking back and forth in the car. Other than that, check your clutch, the shoes may be slipping. Like speedbump said though, you may have a few broken pins somewhere. Check the pins inside the CVDs, and inside the wheel hexes. I doubt your diffs are blown, as XRAY cars are tough and just running like that shouldn't kill a diff.

Let me know if this doesn't help, maybe we can put our heads together and figure out what's up.

Merry X-Mas!!!!!!!!!
SavageSYNTH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 11:58 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Unhappy

ok thanks mate ill have to check it all out do full pull apart and replace everything that is in pain ,clean her up and go easy on her next time but i suppose all this trouble only makes me better at mechanics for these things and i guess ill brake a few parts in the process of learning i guess by running it so hard i put stress on it but like i said before i thought they could take it anyhow i think thats what i may do eventually put the sh in the inferno and get a better eng for the xb8 but in the mean time looks as if i got some repairs to do ;( thanks for the advice once i sought it all out ill be looking for set ups and hop ups.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:40 AM   #36
Tech Addict

ok guys i have taken the car apart and it seems the source of the problem is that the front cvd was slipping on the front cvd diff mount now my question on this is that because all diffs are reliant of either side to work properly could because of the front cvd not engaging the the front diff effect the rear which is ok still mounted, so the only problem was the front but in its effect because the front not being engaged makes the rear spin freely as well?
i am just guessing here do any of you guys know the specifics on how the diffs work each one is reliant of the other one to run properly?
and also when cleaning after race meets do you guys take every part apart and clean every little piece? like for instance what would your standard clean up be clean barings, all moving and friction parts ball joints and what would be the best suitable cleaner if you dont have proper r/c cleaner just wd40?
i think im a clean the whole car and also do you need special tools for the clutch bell and fly wheel?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:08 AM   #37
Tech Regular

take off front end and rear end and just brush the dirt off. change shock oil after every race.

never spray the car with wd40, coz the dirt just moves and gets traped in the hing pins, its best u take the pins out and clean them. if you want your hing pins smooth the best is graphite powder.

after every few months change the bearings. at $1 they are cheap.
Doomah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 03:27 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

No power to the front diff wouldn't make the rear slip, but it would make the center diff slip. If there is no drive going to the front, only to the rear, then the diff will transfer the power to the outdrive with the least resistance (being the front if your CVD is slipping).

The diffs are reliant on each other in a way, but they are basically independent. Lets say you are running your car. You turn into a corner, and the right rear tire lifts off of the ground. Because all other tires are on the ground, the power from the engine goes into the outdrive putting up the least resistance (that being the lifted wheel) therefore you lose momentum because the power is being transferred to the wheel that is not on the ground. That also carries into your problem as well. If there is no drive to the front (because the front center CVD is slipping) then instead of transferring the power to the rear, the center diff puts it out the front to the CVD that is spinning freely.

Very confusing, I know, but you'll figure it out.

I take my car apart completely after every 10-11 runs, but clean it up after each run (blow it off with compressor, knock dirt out of wheels, etc.) I wouldn't spray it with WD40 because that just blasts dirt into little hard-to-reach spots on your car.

All you need to pull clutch components on the XB8 is a hex driver and a pair of pliers, basic tools.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:18 PM   #39
Tech Addict

O.S. no top end?Not the V-spec I got!Well the 053 top-end pipe might be helping it a little but it screams.I have a P5 and a B3 right now and I like them both but I think my next motor might be a JP B-5 or B-8, and I am also thinking about a Max Power M8 Modified for the SP2.Mike Battaile has one in his buggy and he runs at the track I do so he could give me some tips with it.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:32 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

The V-Spec does not have NEAR the top end as the RB's I have seen, but it has a great bottom end. I run a JP FX .21 B5-N and it is a great engine, check those out.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:09 PM   #41
Tech Addict

RB's top-end are close of those of On-road engines,well the C5 is anyway I am not sure of the WS7II.BTW,Do anyone of you know where there is a good site for 1/8th scale set-up info.I think I deleted mine,I am guessing it was twf8.com or something?
Old 12-26-2005, 11:08 PM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Forget the website, just ask me! LOL........
Old 12-27-2005, 10:44 AM   #43
Tech Addict

I dunno about that one! I know who to ask if I have engine problems!
Old 12-27-2005, 04:14 PM   #44
Tech Fanatic

What chassis are you setting up? I helped a local guy set up his Jammin, and he ran about 2 sec faster..........
Old 12-27-2005, 04:18 PM   #45
Tech Addict

Kanai 2,I don't need it set up right now but I just wanted it so I could look at it if I wanted to.