Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I HAVE A QUESTION.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 01:37 PM
Suspended

Default I HAVE A QUESTION.

I have a 1/10 arrma granite mega, it came with a stock 540 15t brushed motor. I ran this motor on 2s lipo for about 4 days and it fried out or something because when the motor got warm it would loose all power and all that weird stuff. I got a brushless 3900kv, 4P motor and a brushless 60a esc that I plan on running with 2s. Will I get a good top speed out of this combo? Will I get enough power to do stand up wheelies? And will the motor fry up like the last one? If anyone can help me out with these questions it would be great, and I do know how to set a proper gear mesh it was set or my brushed motor.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A 3900kv 4P motor could end up being a little too much for a 60A ESC, I think. The motor specs are about the same as what people use in open 4WD SCTs, so I think power should not be a factor.
However, you can fry up any motor (or in case of brushless like this one, you'll damage the magnets in the rotor, if you overheat the motor), if you treat it wrongly. Gearing it properly is key - and I'm not talking about gear mesh (although that is important as well), but about choosing the correct gear ratio for the motor, the car, the ambient temperature, track design (long and smooth or short and technical) and the actual surface you're driving on. That's why racers use temp guns to figure out their max gear ratio.
Also, cooling the motor (and ESC) by a small fan can also help quite a bit in keeping temps down. Also let everything cool down completely between battery packs. Sorry, it's just not fire and forget with these things (especially not with heavy offroad vehicles).
Old 05-16-2016, 02:43 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

How many threads are you going to make?
Old 05-18-2016, 04:21 AM
Suspended

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by DirkW
A 3900kv 4P motor could end up being a little too much for a 60A ESC, I think. The motor specs are about the same as what people use in open 4WD SCTs, so I think power should not be a factor.
However, you can fry up any motor (or in case of brushless like this one, you'll damage the magnets in the rotor, if you overheat the motor), if you treat it wrongly. Gearing it properly is key - and I'm not talking about gear mesh (although that is important as well), but about choosing the correct gear ratio for the motor, the car, the ambient temperature, track design (long and smooth or short and technical) and the actual surface you're driving on. That's why racers use temp guns to figure out their max gear ratio.
Also, cooling the motor (and ESC) by a small fan can also help quite a bit in keeping temps down. Also let everything cool down completely between battery packs. Sorry, it's just not fire and forget with these things (especially not with heavy offroad vehicles).
This esc and motor is a combo and the most il be driving on with this truck is gravel and pavement no race tracks or nothing. The esc comes with a fan and I was assuming where it's a combo I was thinking it would be perfectly fine I set my gear mesh like two days ago when you crimp a peice of paper between the spur and the pinion. If I keep the stock pinion which I think is a 12t should I be fine?
Old 05-18-2016, 05:59 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jfly260
When I get them all answered **** ****
Whoa slow down there hero.
People are trying to answer your questions.
As a new member it's not cool to attack people. Take a look at the rules.
If you have a problem with them chat with one of the moderators.
Going around calling people names gets you an early vacation.

Last edited by DRTMI; 05-18-2016 at 06:39 AM. Reason: language
Old 05-18-2016, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

You've got an active thread. Use that one, and ONLY that one.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-z...help-me-2.html