Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22-4 2.0 Race Kit Thread! >

TLR 22-4 2.0 Race Kit Thread!

Like Tree243Likes

TLR 22-4 2.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-20-2016, 06:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22-4 2.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kraig
Here are some good build tips and notes from b1narych0ice (thank you):

Specific build step comments/warnings, including areas I replaced stock parts -- Think of this as a FAQ that answers questions I had from other builders about each step:

A-3: You can instead use TLR Aluminum Servo Mount here.
A-5: Be sure to get the shorter screw in the correct hole.
A-6: Use a 76 or 78T spur if you are running a 13.5T-21.5T motor instead of the 84 in the kit! and...
A-6: The plastic washer between the pulley and the thrust assembly should be oriented so that the flat side goes toward the pulley, and the side with the ring goes towards the thrust assembly's metal washer. Diagram in instructions is correct, you just can't see that this washer isn't flat on both sides from the illustration.
A-7: Be sure the nut holding the Full-Time 4WD assembly is nice and tight, I have seen it get loose in the 1.0 car!
A-9: Put the gears on the jackshaft before the c-clips, so that you don't have to deal with getting the c-clips off to put the gears on

B-2: It seems to be possible to push the outdrives on so tight that they bind when spun, be sure to ensure that they spin freely as the manual notes.
B-7: You're screwing the 1.3mm screws into metal, don't crank so hard you strip the heads on the screws. While this is metal-on-metal, the manual doesn't call for loctite here.
B-8: The rear diff has fewer/bigger teeth, the front diff has more/smaller teeth.
C-3/C-4: TLR Aluminum Bellcranks and Exotek steering rack can be used here to increase durability/reduce steering slop
C-8: TLR Aluminum A/B Horn can be used to increase durability/reduce steering slop.
D-2: Don't worry about the kingpins sticking out the front even when the nut is tight, the bumper will push them in and keep them there.
D-5: Shock tower screws were the tightest plastic part on my kit, look from the side when tightening down the tower at the gap between the tower and the front bulkhead, tighten until this gap is closed.
D-6/D-7: Don't mix up the CVA pins and the hex pins, should be easy because hex pins are black and CVA pins are silver.
D-8/D-9: Use a toothpick to get threadlock in the metal block instead of applying it to the shoulder bolt, so that you don't get it between the plastic spindle and the metal block.
E-1/E-2: Don't mix up the 10mm pins for the rear hexes with the 11mm pins for the rear CVAs! They are packaged together and both silver, so it's easy to think you just have 4 pins that are the same!
G-1: No need to install the post on the right side if you are running a shorty and use velcro to attach the body to the mud guards. You can move the right post up or down a little so that it snugly fits your shorty battery.
G-2: Aluminum Servo Horn can be used here.
G-4: Adjust the length of the link and the servo horn position so that both the servo horn and the horn on the bellcranks are parallel with each other, and perpendicular with the link.

Hope this helps some of you that are putting your kits together, and thanks to Frank and the TLR crew for a solid kit!

----------------------
Driveshaft Update from Frank - I've reviewed some parts today from stock. The 'issue' part is definitely the rear CVA driveshaft bone. The pin slot is not 90* to the bore for the barrel. We are working to get good parts made and here for CS use ASAP.

Some of the parts I checked were not 100% free, but definitely run-able. Keep in mind that the driveshafts should wear in fairly well, and quickly (within a few packs). If you have a 22-4 2.0 and are experiencing issues with the driveshafts, we won't have good replacements for probably a couple of weeks (no definitive timeline yet), so I would recommend running them on track for 1-2 packs, then rechecking. I think most will free up well.

I am sorry that we are having an issue. Everything was great during samples until production, but we'll make sure to get it right, and make it right for those with the bad parts.
-------------------

What is the proper level for the diffs...i am used to building 8th scale diffs, i would assume its the same?
Just under level. You need some room for the output gear that is in the cap.

----------------------
Frank can u explain what is the difference between the a and b horn, TLR331018?
It isn't the horn, it is the ackermann setting. B will have less off power, better mid corner steering. A will have more off power steering, less mid corner.

Print Wikipost

Old 09-15-2019, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Anyone run the Exotek aluminum front hinge pin brace? I found this is the only real weakness of the car.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RazorRC
Anyone run the Exotek aluminum front hinge pin brace? I found this is the only real weakness of the car.
I have yet to break or wear out the stock hing pin brace. I'm also running the stock plastic bulkhead as well. I bought 2 of the Exotek bulkheads as they were discontinued but haven't seen a need to install it yet.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

NM. Go TLR at the IFMAR race.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys,

seen on Red-RC...new 4WD teasing...3 cars at the worlds

JC
Old 09-21-2019, 02:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default New to me 22-4 2.0.

Just picked my first 22-4 2.0 and I’m pretty excited. Yes it looks complicated, however super high quality and well thought out. I’m leaving my Sworkz 1/10 4x4 for a bunch of reasons, but I love how active the community is here with people like Frank Root being so helpful. Very happy to join the crew.

I do have a few questions however.

1). The manual calls out for a 27 tooth pinion for a 13.5 if I recall correctly. I’m going to run a Tekin Gen 3 13.5 and I hear it wants to rev. Should I try going down to a 26 tooth?? I have a medium indoor clay track.

2). The rear wheels have lots of “in and out” play like there should be a shim or spacer between the outer bearing and the stub axle cross pin to take up some of the play? The 22 4.0 arm mod says to add a 1mm spacer, anyone have a part number or any direction?

Mark
Old 09-22-2019, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Any setups from the ROAR race in Columbus?
Old 09-22-2019, 08:50 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Riflebuilder
Just picked my first 22-4 2.0 and I’m pretty excited. Yes it looks complicated, however super high quality and well thought out. I’m leaving my Sworkz 1/10 4x4 for a bunch of reasons, but I love how active the community is here with people like Frank Root being so helpful. Very happy to join the crew.

I do have a few questions however.

1). The manual calls out for a 27 tooth pinion for a 13.5 if I recall correctly. I’m going to run a Tekin Gen 3 13.5 and I hear it wants to rev. Should I try going down to a 26 tooth?? I have a medium indoor clay track.

2). The rear wheels have lots of “in and out” play like there should be a shim or spacer between the outer bearing and the stub axle cross pin to take up some of the play? The 22 4.0 arm mod says to add a 1mm spacer, anyone have a part number or any direction?

Mark
As for that gearing with that motor I don't remember exactly what I ran when I have used that motor a while back when it first came out but I think I ran like a 23 or 24 pinion. They do like to rev that is for sure.

As for that shim I am not sure you could get it separate but I believe it came with the driveshaft set for the 22-4 2.0. Its possible its in your kit? FWIW, I went back to the kit rear arms and I liked it better, gave some more rear support. I ran Franks setup that is posted on the site just with the kit rear arms and HRC toe plate and it is very good. The best my 22-4 2.0 has ever been to be exact. I think the key was the shock package and mounting locations, when I did this change it was night and day different.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:26 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nrtv20
Any setups from the ROAR race in Columbus?
We really didn't have any major setup changes at this event from previous events. I'd suggest this setup below.

http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...%2003-2019.pdf
Old 09-23-2019, 06:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi - so I've recently picked up this kit and have driven it around a little bit around my house (until indoor racing starts). Yesterday it turns out my spur gear stripped while braking. I haven't really read about any issues with the spur gear so I'm assuming it's my setup. I have the car set up as follows:

13.5 T motor/ESC combo
27/78 gearing

I checked to make sure that the motor didn't shift and alter the gear mesh (it didn't), and this isn't my first RC vehicle where I've had to set gear mesh. The only thing that's weird is that when I was building the slipper, with the nut flush against the shaft, it seems like there is absolutely no slip in the assembly - like its too tight. Maybe it's something with my slipper?

Any ideas on what to check? I've ordered another couple of spur gears which should be here later this week.

Thanks,
Angelo
Old 09-23-2019, 09:46 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by angelob
Hi - so I've recently picked up this kit and have driven it around a little bit around my house (until indoor racing starts). Yesterday it turns out my spur gear stripped while braking. I haven't really read about any issues with the spur gear so I'm assuming it's my setup. I have the car set up as follows:

13.5 T motor/ESC combo
27/78 gearing

I checked to make sure that the motor didn't shift and alter the gear mesh (it didn't), and this isn't my first RC vehicle where I've had to set gear mesh. The only thing that's weird is that when I was building the slipper, with the nut flush against the shaft, it seems like there is absolutely no slip in the assembly - like its too tight. Maybe it's something with my slipper?

Any ideas on what to check? I've ordered another couple of spur gears which should be here later this week.

Thanks,
Angelo
The only way the spur would fail on this car is if the gear mesh wasn't set correctly, or moved. You would fail a belt long before a spur gear, regardless of the slipper setting.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Frank Root
The only way the spur would fail on this car is if the gear mesh wasn't set correctly, or moved. You would fail a belt long before a spur gear, regardless of the slipper setting.
Maybe I set it on the loose side - I'll try again. Thanks for the input.

Angelo
Old 09-23-2019, 12:15 PM
Tech Regular

Are you talking about the little bar that mounts in the front of the arms connecting the two hinge pins or the Aluminum Pivot block? I run the Exotek front pivot and love it.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fantomdude
Are you talking about the little bar that mounts in the front of the arms connecting the two hinge pins or the Aluminum Pivot block? I run the Exotek front pivot and love it.
Pivot block. Thanks for the feedback.

I actually just fully cleaned and rebuilt my 22-4 2.0 and then packed it away Indiana Jones ark style and threw the Exotek pivot block in the box. It's the first RC car I plan to keep forever.
zipperfoot and aspiringracer like this.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Pivot block. Thanks for the feedback.

I actually just fully cleaned and rebuilt my 22-4 2.0 and then packed it away Indiana Jones ark style and threw the Exotek pivot block in the box. It's the first RC car I plan to keep forever.
I decided to do the same thing with my 22-4, it is now a RC relic!
RazorRC likes this.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Just realized I didn’t put in the washers inside if the diffs. I can’t get the out drivers off, Am I screwed or OK? Running 13.5.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.