Search
Like Tree42Likes

Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

From a person a fb that got one.

Took the Baja Rey out for the first time this morning in all stock form. Just threw a SMC 4300mah 3s lipo in it and made a ec3 to dean's shorty adapter. Battery fit right in without having to pull out the battery spacer. I haven't driven an RC in front of my house in months.

Initial review: The speed out of the box I think is perfect not slow but not ridiculously fast. AVC kept me for letting the truck do some cool sliding in the loose asphalt so that was turned off the entire time. Even with a center differential I was still able to lift the two front wheels on punch out. Steering to me is just plain horrible, the steering servo saver felt sloppy and loose... when I turn the car on initially with the tires turned to the right the servo didn't even center out because it was too weak too.... upon driving it the steering felt very slow and late. I guess this may sound weird for some but if you know my driving style this is one of the worst reversing vehicle I have ever driven. It's funny to see how much of the rear end pops up under hard braking.

All in all I think it's a fun truck. Suspension soaks up everything very well with tons of rear travel. Center differential is very nice to have as it made the truck very easy drive under hard throttle.

Well that's enough of the stock baja rey for me... it's time to tear it apart and modify it.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Thanks for the info, been curious as to battery fitment I have some 3s 5000mh packs hoping they fit?
Old 07-02-2016, 08:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hobby store said maybe Tuesday for mine.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mine is OTW,be here later this week.

wrightcs77,good info. About what I was expecting to hear as far as driving and the stock servo.

I have a 2WD Yeti TT and it's a lot of fun,not the fastest way around the track for sure, but fun. Figure the Losi will be the same.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default You guys wanna race.?

Just wondering if any of you guys purchasing these trucks were interested in class racing them.meaning only alike chassis.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:26 AM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by Sjones
Thanks for the info, been curious as to battery fitment I have some 3s 5000mh packs hoping they fit?
I have used 3S 5000mah in my personal vehicle with no fitment issues. You should be fine. Just remove the spacer that comes preinstalled and you are good to go.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Thank you Todd! Just confirmed my decision!
Old 07-06-2016, 07:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Picked mine up tonight. No running. But here's a quick look.

https://youtu.be/P-8nEgpAXpA
Old 07-07-2016, 06:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Todd Hodge
I have used 3S 5000mah in my personal vehicle with no fitment issues. You should be fine. Just remove the spacer that comes preinstalled and you are good to go.
Any ideas for one that is cutting in and out. Have steering and throttle them nothing, then it's back. Then nothing. Esc doesn't appear to be turning off. Fan stays running.
Any chance water could be problem. Don't see anything about not getting it wet.

Decided to try the bind procedure. Thought possible could be problem. Only had to on few vehicles over past 6 years. Now have nothing. 2 green flashes and then nothing. Could be having to use an adaptor. But it did work, only for few minutes.

Last edited by Billy Kelly; 07-07-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:01 AM
Tech Prophet

Run #1

https://youtu.be/z7ut8517RbY

Run #2

https://youtu.be/5i1YJU8Q4Zc

Not best start. But seems ok now. This is one of reasons I try to go 10 runs before giving opinions about vehicles. But I want to show how it runs, good and bad. Fully plan to get a lot of runtime with it. Might not have best surfaces for it. But gonna try.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Run #1

https://youtu.be/z7ut8517RbY

Run #2

https://youtu.be/5i1YJU8Q4Zc

Not best start. But seems ok now. This is one of reasons I try to go 10 runs before giving opinions about vehicles. But I want to show how it runs, good and bad. Fully plan to get a lot of runtime with it. Might not have best surfaces for it. But gonna try.

Good to know. Thanks for the updates.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Got my hands on mine today. Liking it. Ran it on 3s right out of the box. Definitely fun. Handles better than the Yeti/Score. Less of a handful due to the center diff. On 3s the center diff needs thicker oil,too much power to the front. Don't like the AVC,will be swapping it over to my Futaba. Might throw a servo in it while I'm at it.

And, I'm not saying anything bad about the Yeti/Score, just pointing out differences.

Update: Added some 100K silicone to the center diff and handles much more to my liking. Ditched the stock radio and much happier also. Didn't try the stock one with the AVC off though.

Inverted to driveshaft,male spline down and added a piece of heat shrink to act as a shield to try to keep debris out. Tried to post a pic but I'm not worthy yet.

Thing is kind of a pain to take apart,but to be expected I guess for something different.

Last edited by DEADWright; 07-09-2016 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Update
Old 07-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Run #3. Baseball diamond. Village ran machine over it before rain. It's rough compared to previous runs here with other vehicles.

https://youtu.be/gTqMLpMy-sw
Old 07-08-2016, 09:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Run #4. Gravel

https://youtu.be/iUro5jWtfwo

Slow motion gravel

https://youtu.be/KcE33Da9fow

How fast?

https://youtu.be/1SxNaHFz_pI
Old 07-08-2016, 10:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Baja Rey Delivered

had fun for about 15 minutes, then servo refused to center. Tried turning AVC all the,way down but the wheels just turn to the right and can't center using trim. Any idea what the issue is? Servo horn loose, now it needs to be re centered? If I have to tear it down to re center the servo, I'm going to upgrade the servo for sure and possibly the servo norm. Steering rack looks pretty good other than its plastic with the exception of the two posts that attach the rack to the chassis. Contemplating returning to Amain as I don't think I should have to upgrade out of the box before I even get one pack through it. Any thoughts on what's wrong? I can add pics if needed. This happened on my tLR 22-4 buggy and as soon and I swapped the AVC receiver out for non AVC and disabled on radio all was good. Not an option with an RTR. Any help is appreciated, trying to get my son into he hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.