R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-15-2005, 12:46 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Need some advise on Electric vs Nitro

I am getting ready to get involved with this hobbie. I have narrowed down my selections to
Losi mini lst or t
Losi XXX-t
Traxxas Rustler.
I can get the losi xxx-t for 249.00 at the local dealer in my hometown. The Traxxas is a lot cheaper at like 129.99 off the net. The dealer is telling me the losi will do 42 mph? On traxxas web site the rustler will do 20 mph. Could the traxxas be made to go faster just but upgrading from the normal 1600 6 cell pack to like a 3300 or 4000 6-7 cell battary? I need somthing I can run around on the road and grass. I live across the road from the gold course. I dont think I will need a 4x4 truck. What mah battaries do I need to get and he recommended a 969 super brain or a 959. I know most of the nitro's are more and will go a lot faster but I dont want to have to tune it each time out. I just need a all around good truck that will last and give me and my son some fun times. Thanks

Chad Robbins

I am open to all suggestions. Also if there a a cheaper on line store i will get it there. I buy tons of stuff off the internet and I have no problem with that.
03Black1.8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:09 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Buy the Losi XXX-T. There is no comparison between the quality of a Rustler and a Losi product of any kind. A XXX-t can be raced and the parts are high quality and widely available. The electronic components are also the highest quality name brand stuff (JR radio, Novak speed control) and are backed by their own warranties. You will have a much better experience if you stick with a Losi product starting out.

Don't sweat the top speeds they are all fast enough for starting out. I would stick with a 1/10 scale truck because they are the easiest to control and most well supported by clubs and shops.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

ok here is the lastest and greatest. I called another dealer and he carries the assoicated t4 for about 229.95. He also carries the rustler for 179.99. I know I cant get the rustler for 129.99 on the net. He said all electric trucks will go about the same from 20-24 mph. The losi was a great truck with quality parts that can be upgraded but the cost is a factor. He said recommended a rustler with a 7 cell battery 1500-1800. He said the 3000 ones would give you no more speed just longer run time. He has the 1500 7 cell packs for like 25.00 and a profit digital charger for 50.00.

If he is telling the truth about electric trucks then I am leaning towards the rustler do to the fact of the speed issue. I also have heard the rustler was a good beat around truck. Thats me. I figure for the price difference I can get the rustler with 2 7 cell packs and a changer for the same price as just the losi and the t4?

He also said the other guy was crazy saying the losi xxx-t went 42 mph. Maybe with 300.00 in hop ups but not out of the box.

anyone care to chime in?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trust me on this. You will be better served buying a XXX-T RTR or a T4 RTR for $300 than you would with a Rustler for free. The Associated and Losi cars are far superior designs that work better in every way for every application.

The guy in the shop is right about the XXXT going 42 mph. Out of the box it won't. He is wrong about the batteries though. The 3300 batteries are not rated at a higher voltage but they have much lower resistance so the car will accelerate noticealby better. They can be purchased at Radio Shack for $25. Can't beat that.

Again, I think you will be much happier with your purchase if you get the Losi or Associated. They are that much better.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:22 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka
Trust me on this. You will be better served buying a XXX-T RTR or a T4 RTR for $300 than you would with a Rustler for free. The Associated and Losi cars are far superior designs that work better in every way for every application.

The guy in the shop is right about the XXXT going 42 mph. Out of the box it won't. He is wrong about the batteries though. The 3300 batteries are not rated at a higher voltage but they have much lower resistance so the car will accelerate noticealby better. They can be purchased at Radio Shack for $25. Can't beat that.

Again, I think you will be much happier with your purchase if you get the Losi or Associated. They are that much better.
229.99 i guess is not so bad and I guess its not worth the 100-120 price difference in getting a nitro either.
What do you suggest I get for batteries? What can I do to make the T4 or xxx-t go faster. He also said something about a speed control limited the speed and the highest motor I could use would be a 19 turn.

what about something like these
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-RC-7-2V-3300mA...QQcmdZViewItem
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-RC-7-2V-3200mA...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by 03Black1.8t; 12-15-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:46 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Yes they both have speed controls that have motor limits but I think you will find that they are both plenty fast. The Associated comes with a faster motor than the XXX-T but the XXX-T has a much nicer radio and that's worth a lot.
For batteries I would suggest getting the GP3300's that I mentioned from Radio Shack. They are top quality and they will ake for long run times. The 1500-1700 packs are NiCd and are yesterday's technology. and the packs on Ebay are who konw what under the shrink wrap. You may save $5 with them but you will get much better performance out of the 3300's plus if they give you any trouble early on you can get Radio Shack to replace them. The GP brand is one of the two best (Intellect being the other).

Old 12-15-2005, 03:53 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eds24 Send a message via Yahoo to eds24

A would be a GREAT starting truck it sounds like you won't be racing much so you would be bashing. The Rustler is MUCH more durable it doesn't nearly handle as well as a xxx-t or t4 but the xxx-t and t4 are ment for racing so they aren't all that durable.Plus the xxx-t and t4 don't have as many hop-ups avialible for them and you can really hop-up the rusty. Plus if you really want to make your rustler perform well you can do this to ithttp://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/rustler.html that will make it handle just as well as a xxx-t and t4. The main statement i want to make is that the rustler is a started car it is VERY durable and when you become more expireanced you can either hop-up the rustler up or sell it and get a t4 or xxx-t. Also have you ever thought about a team associated t3?? It is a perfect mixture of both the t4/xxx-t and the rustler ...It has slighty worse handling then the t4 and xxx-t and is slighty less durable then the rustler. But that makes it so its durable far enoguh durable to bash and handles well enough to race.And it is at the same quality level as the t4 or xxx-t. You can't buy t3's brand new any more but on ebay or this forum you can get a rtr for VERY cheap probaly about $90-150 .I have had a traxxas stampede which is practically a rustler. I liked it but the quality of the parts where not up to par with my brushless and hard bashing .so now i have 2 t3's and i love them.You may be wondering if since it discontinued if you can't find parts well associated is very good aobut that and has great part support for all of their vehiclea ......SO for you i would recommend a rustler or t3. peace ethan
eds24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:58 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

if you plan on bashing and ramping big golf course moguls and sand traps then I agree.. the rustler will be hands down more durable and really plenty fast.

If you have an inkling that you want to race go with the losi or associated as the rustler just can't keep up.

Feel free to PM me for more details as well as quite a few other links that might help make your decision easier.

I've owned 2 rustler, stampede, mini T's, T4's, B4's and a few xxx4's. I've bashed my traxxas trucks and kept my others on the track. I started out a few years back as only a basher and have done most of the durabillity upgrades to traxxas products to make them nearly indestructible. I feel the weakest point is the tranny but as long as you have an aluminum idler and a few extra spurs you should be in good shape.

let me know if you need more info. I can give you plenty of reading.

-ryan
DX3R w/ SR3100's & Gens Ace Batteries
Now, to be able to drive, priceless
eri3f0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:46 PM   #9
Tech Champion

"The Rustler is MUCH more durable"

That's wrong. I see them break every time I see them run.

The reason there are so few hop ups available for the racing designs is that they are right from the factory. There is no amount of hopups that you could add to a Rustler that would make it keep pace with a T4 or a XXXT.

Old 12-15-2005, 08:52 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Damm i thought this was going to be another nitro vs electric thread!
XingXing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:20 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

man and I thought I was getting some where..

guys what about this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Traxxas-Nitr...QQcmdZViewItem

for cheaper than the t4 and the xxx-t

but how hard is it going to take to keep it running?? Esp now since its winter time.

Last edited by 03Black1.8t; 12-15-2005 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:05 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Nitro motors don't like the cold. I would recomend going electric if you're just starting out. Getting an engine to run well is a whole skill in itself.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:30 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Let's look at this another way. First off I don't care what you buy. The first question you have to ask yourself is "Do I want to Race?" Be honest if you want to race answer that way because all the descisions you will make stem from the answer to that one question. If you answer yes to the race question you'll need some answers to a few other questions.

1. What's the class you want to race and be competitive in at the track you want to race on?

2. Is it electric or gas?

3. What's the person to beat driving and why?

4. What makes and models consistenty fill the "A"main starting grid and what equipiment do they use to get there?

Number 1 is important because it gives you the class of car to buy, Number 2 tells you what you have to buy to support the car, at first glance you don't see the infrastructure required to support the car, electric requires a heavy set of electronic boxes to support it:chargers, dischargers, power supplies, comm lathes, upgraded speed controls, the list goes on. Be sure and look at it because to be competitive in electric requires a higher cost that Nitro does. Number 3 tells you what it takes to get to the top. Number 4 tells you what others are using to try and get there.
DarkRubiTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:24 AM   #14
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRubiTJ
Let's look at this another way. First off I don't care what you buy. The first question you have to ask yourself is "Do I want to Race?" Be honest if you want to race answer that way because all the descisions you will make stem from the answer to that one question. If you answer yes to the race question you'll need some answers to a few other questions.

1. What's the class you want to race and be competitive in at the track you want to race on?

2. Is it electric or gas?

3. What's the person to beat driving and why?

4. What makes and models consistenty fill the "A"main starting grid and what equipiment do they use to get there?

Number 1 is important because it gives you the class of car to buy, Number 2 tells you what you have to buy to support the car, at first glance you don't see the infrastructure required to support the car, electric requires a heavy set of electronic boxes to support it:chargers, dischargers, power supplies, comm lathes, upgraded speed controls, the list goes on. Be sure and look at it because to be competitive in electric requires a higher cost that Nitro does. Number 3 tells you what it takes to get to the top. Number 4 tells you what others are using to try and get there.
I dont have any desire to race. Maybe in years when both of my boys get older but I am talking 5-6 years. I guess I'm going electric
Old 12-16-2005, 05:34 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

If you want a XXXnt I would look for a used one. You can find great deals on Adam Drake 2 trucks all day long. Monster trucks are killing 1/10 scale truck classes. Its a buyers market right now for 1/10 scale nitro. I should know. I just sold an AD2 roller w/ very little time on it for $115.00 shipped
sdmlsu1 is offline   Reply With Quote