R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2005, 06:35 PM   #16
Tech Elite
 
JusBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central VA
Posts: 2,170
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

If you're not racing, get a nitro monster truck. You can go more places with them and they're more durable vs. a stadium truck. Nitro is not that tough to learn and to me is much more fun.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:58 PM   #17
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOLsoldier
If you're not racing, get a nitro monster truck. You can go more places with them and they're more durable vs. a stadium truck. Nitro is not that tough to learn and to me is much more fun.

but how much more at the monster trucks. I was also told the stadium truck was more adverse than the monster. Someone told me the monster would turn over if a lot of speed and turning was involved.
03Black1.8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:01 PM   #18
Tech Elite
 
JusBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central VA
Posts: 2,170
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Black1.8t
but how much more at the monster trucks. I was also told the stadium truck was more adverse than the monster. Someone told me the monster would turn over if a lot of speed and turning was involved.
More adverse? As in harmful or opposite? Not sure what you mean there. A monster truck like a Revo is around 450 and they handle great. I'm only suggesting a monster truck because they can handle more abusive terrain like grass and other obstacles that a smalller stadium truck would have trouble with.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:07 PM   #19
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOLsoldier
More adverse? As in harmful or opposite? Not sure what you mean there. A monster truck like a Revo is around 450 and they handle great. I'm only suggesting a monster truck because they can handle more abusive terrain like grass and other obstacles that a smalller stadium truck would have trouble with.
adverse in being able to do more stuff. I am looking to get into it slow. I think electric will be a good starter system but then you can get a nitro rustler for like 269.99 the cost of a losi xxxt electric. . . ..
03Black1.8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:58 PM   #20
Tech Master
 
hobbipro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 1,326
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Check this out while your at it, http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXVS28**&P=ML Its a Traxxas E-maxx RTR with radio. This truck has twin electric motors, a novak speed control, 2 speed, and reverse. This will take one hell of a beating, and come back for more!
Yes, it is $329, but this month has a $30 off coupon so that brings it to $299, not much more than the XXXT RTR, or T4 RTR. It sounds like you just want to bash, and not deal with the tuning involved with nitro, which I understand completely. I currently have a Rc10gt, T4, and a hpi savage, Hands down if you want to have fun bashing, a monster truck will take you there. A stadium style truck is suited more for track running. If running in snow, mud, even shallow puddles is your thing, take a look at these and you'll see why big trucks are taking over 1/10 stadium trucks. It seems like more guys run savages, revo's, Tmaxx's, Emaxx's at the local track than stadium trucks these days. I personally dont do this but they are fun to watch.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:05 PM   #21
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 30
Default

^^^

yea I might just have to save up and get that. Time I get a rustler or stampede with batt. will be around 200.00

Isn't that emaxx really fast?
03Black1.8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:13 AM   #22
Tech Master
 
hobbipro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 1,326
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Yes, there pretty quick for a big truck. I believe the shifting of speeds is done on the transmitter, so you could just run it in low speed for offroad, then go to high speed for onroad playing. While its not as fast as a Nitro monster, its faster than a RTR stadium. Forgot to mention tower has a free shipping deal too on their front page for anything over $150 along with the coupon deal near thye bottom of that same page. Whatever you get look at that web sight, could save you on S&H, and a few $$$.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:00 PM   #23
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 30
Default

guys whats the difference between the rustler's and pede's with a esc and without a esc? There is like 20-30 bucks difference. Thanks
03Black1.8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:53 PM   #24
Tech Master
 
Team Duratrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NSW, Albury/Wodonga
Posts: 1,674
Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Black1.8t
guys whats the difference between the rustler's and pede's with a esc and without a esc? There is like 20-30 bucks difference. Thanks
The Rustler and the Stampede are fairly similiar. You will find yourself spending more money on the Rustler then if you were to just buy a RTR T4 or a RTR XXX-T. It's your choice, though. You will eventually see how much better Losi and Associated are at making Stadium Trucks. The Rustler/Stampede are getting quite old as well. The Rustler right out of the box is quite slow and you will be begging for more speed sooner or later. The Traxxas XL-1 ESC can only handle down to a 17t motor.

Rustlers can be good trucks, if you spend a crapload of money on them. This includes aluminium shocks, RPM bearings carriers (front and rear), aluminium idler gear, CF or lightened chassis, Lunsford Turnbuckles, RPM ballcups, new rims and tyres, new ESC, new motor. Already this is past the $200 mark.
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:36 PM   #25
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Duratrax
The Rustler and the Stampede are fairly similiar. You will find yourself spending more money on the Rustler then if you were to just buy a RTR T4 or a RTR XXX-T. It's your choice, though. You will eventually see how much better Losi and Associated are at making Stadium Trucks. The Rustler/Stampede are getting quite old as well. The Rustler right out of the box is quite slow and you will be begging for more speed sooner or later. The Traxxas XL-1 ESC can only handle down to a 17t motor.

Rustlers can be good trucks, if you spend a crapload of money on them. This includes aluminium shocks, RPM bearings carriers (front and rear), aluminium idler gear, CF or lightened chassis, Lunsford Turnbuckles, RPM ballcups, new rims and tyres, new ESC, new motor. Already this is past the $200 mark.
I was told that all electric truck ie traxxas,t4, xxxt run the same speed. I might bite the bullet and get a rustler nitro. What nitro stadium would you for around 300.00
03Black1.8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:47 PM   #26
Tech Master
 
Team Duratrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NSW, Albury/Wodonga
Posts: 1,674
Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Black1.8t
I was told that all electric truck ie traxxas,t4, xxxt run the same speed. I might bite the bullet and get a rustler nitro. What nitro stadium would you for around 300.00
Not at all. If you put the exact same electronics in the Rustler and the XXX-T, the XXX-T would win in both straight line and track performance.

For around, $300 I would get the RC10GT. If you really want to buy a Traxxas ST, buy the JATO for $315 at www.ultimatehobbies.com
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 12:54 AM   #27
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Duratrax
Not at all. If you put the exact same electronics in the Rustler and the XXX-T, the XXX-T would win in both straight line and track performance.

For around, $300 I would get the RC10GT. If you really want to buy a Traxxas ST, buy the JATO for $315 at www.ultimatehobbies.com

they have the nitro rc10gt plus rtr for 249.99 plus free shipping. Thats pretty cheap.. Practly the same price as the electric with all the batts. But it says you'll need

Glow plug starter.
Model car fuel.
Fuel bottle.
Receiver battery pack.? I thought this was a pull start?
Extra glow plugs recommended.
R/C two channel surface frequency radio system with two servos. ( does it not come with a radio controller?
.12 or .15 small block engine. The engine also has to be a standard short shaft. Both slide and rotary carbs will work. (No engine?)


I also noticed that they had the Team Losi XXX-T MF2 Truck Kit NEW for 254.95 but I believe I have to put it together, dunno if I want to get in that.

and
Team Associated RC10T4 RTR Special Edition for 204.95 electric.

so for 40.00 is it worth the extra speed for the nitro and the headache of tuning it and keeping it running correctly? HONESTLY?

Thanks for all your help guys.
03Black1.8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:26 AM   #28
Tech Master
 
Team Duratrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NSW, Albury/Wodonga
Posts: 1,674
Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax
Default

If you have had no R/C experience whatsoever, then I would probably suggest starting with electric. Electric out of the box is more expensive since you need to buy a charger and a few packs.
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:02 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic
 
sport10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 969
Default

The guide for parts is incorrect for the RTR RC10gt plus. You will not need a radio system because it comes with one already installed. It also includes a .15 AE engine that is quite good. Mine does nothing but run run run with out hardly any adjustment needed. Once you complete the breakin (rich) of the engine it should hold it settings quite well. You will need a reciever pack to run the onboard electronics ( reciever, steering servo, and throttle servo) even though it is a nitro burner. The RC10GT is a tough truck and can take quite the abuse. Plus it has the largest amount of hop-up parts available of any stadium truck. I have hopped mine up to beyond factory team level and started racing with it. It handles excellent on the track with great acceleration. This truck also bashes well too and is very durable. Here is all you will need to get started with the nitro RC10GT:

One gallon of 15 to 20% nitro fuel ( O'Donnells or Blue Thunder reccomended. $20.00

One fuel bottle to full up fuel tank. $10.00 (Mine is made by Dynamite)

Glow Heater to start engine: $25.00 (Get the one that includes charge cord)

Rechargeable 6V Reciever Pack for onboard radio system in car. $15.00 to $20.00

(8) 1.2V Sanyo AA rechargeable single cells to power transmitter.

Battery Charger to recharge batteries. $10 to $130.00.

You can use disposeable AA batteries but I highly recommend get the rechargeable batteries and the rechargeable reciever pack instead to save money. Unlike with electric you will only need one battery pack for the car and it will not be removed from the car unless it goes bad. I get at least 5 to 6 runs on my car with one charge and that is with a pretty old 600 mah pack. The new packs have twice the amount of storage capacity and will give twice as many runs per charge. Either way you go Nitro or Electric there will be support equipment you will need to buy and this raises the price to get started. Just a fact or life in R/C.
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:09 PM   #30
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 30
Default

sport10
you said You will need a reciever pack to run the onboard electronics ( reciever, steering servo, and throttle servo) even though it is a nitro burner. I thought this was a ready to run? Is this not included in the 249.99 price? If not what do you suggest?
03Black1.8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTTF: mini electric or nitro (nitro perfered) and also looking at all nitro deals.... xxx-ntad2 racer R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 04-25-2007 07:53 PM
a good reliable .21 nitro engine any advise?? downunder23 Electric Off-Road 26 08-29-2006 03:57 AM
newbie needs pro advise (nitro xb8.21 engine) downunder23 Rookie Zone 1 12-25-2005 07:36 AM
30% nitro to 20%, any advise JLMG1971 Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 7 04-12-2005 10:06 PM
i need advise! please help!traxxas nitro rustler brian128 Electric Off-Road 1 06-01-2003 09:26 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:15 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net