Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2wd buggy for mod? Associated. >

2wd buggy for mod? Associated.

2wd buggy for mod? Associated.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Justinmatt21 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

If I went with the B5 RM what upgrades or things would you suggest that I need to do to be competive both indoor and outdoor?

Also, what turn motor would you suggest? I will be using the Reedy Blackbox 410r, as I am running this in my SC10.2, so would like to stay with a Reedy Mach 3 motor, just not sure what turn will be sufficient.

Thanks!
1. Practice is about the only mods you will need to be competitive with any race bred kit that you buy. Seriously. RM/MM.. If you are just starting out.. It doesn't matter.. Just get to the track and practice.

2. 7.5-8.5t... 7.5 for 4 gear & 8.5 for 3 gear.. IMO..
Old 04-12-2016, 01:55 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Personally, as a fairly noob myself, I'd rather keep with the times and mod the mid motor with weight for the outdoor track than vice versa. Stick with the times. Lot's are now even moving to laydown transmissions now... get a mid motor, couple steel/brass parts or weights for the rear and call it a day and just practice....- a fellow newb's 2cents..
Old 04-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Tech Prophet

If its lower traction outdoors the 4 gear mid motor would work better than 3 gear.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

You can also add the SMC weight system and use MM for outdoors. The CE maybe a good choice since it gives you the 3 and 4 gear.

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=278
Old 04-12-2016, 02:39 PM
Tech Regular

i watched a local outdoor dirt track race, asked questions and some observations from final 2wd buggy mains mod and stock. loose and dry to wet and muddy at times

stock had 3 sponsored drivers in it three ran B5 cars, two had motors in back finished 1st and 3rd and one forward finished second. they diced thru race, slower drivers had more of a impact on this race causing issues for top three drivers. lead changed many times due to this. one local regular driver had rear motor, rest all forward

mod...6+ mixed company sponsored drivers, all cars where forward motor, including regular drivers. a mix of 3 and 4 gear systems
Old 04-12-2016, 02:49 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pinkz View Post
i watched a local outdoor dirt track race, asked questions and some observations from final 2wd buggy mains mod and stock. loose and dry to wet and muddy at times

stock had 3 sponsored drivers in it three ran B5 cars, two had motors in back finished 1st and 3rd and one forward finished second. they diced thru race, slower drivers had more of a impact on this race causing issues for top three drivers. lead changed many times due to this. one local regular driver had rear motor, rest all forward

mod...6+ mixed company sponsored drivers, all cars where forward motor, including regular drivers. a mix of 3 and 4 gear systems
Which track was this?

Interesting results!
Old 04-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the great suggestions.

I was just looking for folks suggestions and experiences before I spent money on a kit.

Now I just need to weigh all my options and make a decision.

Leaning towards the B5M lite and adding weight when running outdoors.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:47 PM
Tech Addict

I would buy a used Durango dex210. Good rollers regularly sell for $100 with parts/tires.

Has a good mid motor and rear motor set-up, so once you get the hang of driving you won't have thoughts like: "if only I had a rear motor car outdoor's I would have won that race". You get to try both for the same price and see what you like / what your track needs. It also lets you experiment with 3 and 4 gear transmissions, so you can learn what you like there as well (I like 3 gear everywhere).

The car is great, though you will have less people in the pits to help you than with Losi or Associated because of how common they are.

Last edited by Devin; 04-12-2016 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-12-2016, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah Losi and Associated is popular in my hometown as well.
But they don't mind if I run Durango stuff. I was into Losi and Associated bigtime,
But I wanted to try something different and Durango was a better choice for me
because I used to run Tamiya TRF cars and people would get pissed if I beat them with a Tamiya.
So I ditched the Tamiya stuff for Durango stuff, which it was a pain to get Tamiya parts anyway.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly View Post
You can also add the SMC weight system and use MM for outdoors. The CE maybe a good choice since it gives you the 3 and 4 gear.

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=278
Thanks Chris. I would definitely pick up the CE, however I can't find that model anywhere, since it has been discontinued.