Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Novices: How many sets of tires do you have for 1 vehicle? >

Novices: How many sets of tires do you have for 1 vehicle?

Novices: How many sets of tires do you have for 1 vehicle?

Old 04-09-2016, 04:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I take all the available tires i have fir whatever I'm running that evening. So i would say i take around 15 sets.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:44 AM
Tech Adept

Tires are definitely the main difference in the set up. I really love RC, but I only have passion for 1/8 buggy for cars. ebuggy in my case, and the price for sets of tires relegates me to practice days only(hence my sig).
My track is Race Em in Northern IL. Indoor clay. I have a set of the web type tires, and a set of slicks(Primes). I don't need super softs to have fun as they wouldn't last long anyway so I choose the longer lasting compounds.
Race Em is building a large outdoor 1/8 off road and an outdoor oval this year, so I will likely be owning another $50-$100 worth of tires for the outdoor off road track anyway.

I do enjoy watching the organized races, though.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rideswings View Post
thanks for the reply, do you ever get to a track and still have to buy new tires because your car just isnt handling well with the tires you brought or do you just not push the car as hard?

i tell my friend that im like tom cruise in days of thunder. i know the car isnt driving well but i dont know how to fix it or even how to explain to him what its doing.
Absolutely. Why do you think I have so many tires?

Outdoors, I do have a few sets of tires that are my "go to". I also always read the tires description on the company website. Usually they are pretty good at describing the ideal conditions for each tire. I have also gotten fairly well at reading track conditions and basing my tire choice of what I see on the track surface. Racing at multiple tracks really helps learn that skill. Also weather plays a big parts depending on where you race. Here in the northeast the mornings could be in the 40s in the mornings and mid to upper 70s by afternoon. Sometimes having the same tires in multiple compounds in necessary. Or sometimes the track changing temperatures also requires a different tread depending how much the dirt softens up as temps increase.

Same thing with indoor racing on high bite clay. Is the heat on in the building? Is it humid? All those factors affect traction. Carpet is even effected by weather as well.

Chasing tenths.