R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default losi scte 2.0 castle 3800kv motor overheating

Hey guys, first post here finally ran into a problem i cant seem to figure out

i have two losi ten-scte 2.0 trucks both running the mamba max pro esc and 1410 3800kv motor. they are both geared with 18t pinion on stock center dif gear.

the first one runs fine, the other one the motor overheats quickly! IR gun shows 180f on the ass of the motor, esc temps are fairly low around 120.
takes about 5min for the truck to cut off. went to chainlink tires on the rear and it ran longer before overheating but theres no traction obviously

this is a brand new sct race pro combo and its overheating.
tried same batteries on both trucks as well. solder joints are well done (tons of heli experience)

tore the truck down and replaced any bearing thats not buttery smooth, axles are straight, correct backlash, the only thing i didnt touch was the difs and those only have roughly 25 batteries on them.

i would gear it down but why should i if the other truck has no overheating issues on the same gearing? I mainly run the trucks on my yard track which is sand clay mix, not loamy but it can be slightly power robbing in some sections. also im still not happy with the top speed of the castle 3800kv. my buddy brung his horizon 2.0 rtr out with that dynamite fuze 4950kv and it had higher top speed and almost as much torque. i ended up moving my rythem section jumps closer together just because of the lack of top speed on the 3800kv.

any ideas on what might be causing this? i cant find any sort of binding or anything that could put more load on the motor. its also only 40 degrees outside.

Thanks in advance
heyitzfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Have you tried switching the motors to the opposite truck? That should 100% rule out any kind of drivetrain or esc issues. Then you'd know it was the motor and could replace it or contact Castle. Or if the "good" motor gets hot on the other truck you'd know you've got an esc or drivetrain issue on that truck.
Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Thats my next step once it stops raining. I have yet to get a "bad" anything from castle yet but you never know.

Im also running normal timing on the esc
Old 04-07-2016, 12:16 AM   #4
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I know when all the guys where running the 3800 motor at are really large outdoor tracks non of them ran larger than a 16 tooth pinion. A 4950kv motor should have more top end for sure. I would set my esc to medium start power and 15 degrees of timing with the smaller 16 tooth pinion and your truck should run pretty good overall for you.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:20 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Double check your timing, make sure your pinion gear isn't meshed too tight to the spur.
hyper7driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
I know when all the guys where running the 3800 motor at are really large outdoor tracks non of them ran larger than a 16 tooth pinion. A 4950kv motor should have more top end for sure. I would set my esc to medium start power and 15 degrees of timing with the smaller 16 tooth pinion and your truck should run pretty good overall for you.
Thanks for the info, just went from normal to high (15) timing, med start power and went to 16t. Ran the whole battery without shutting down and top speed was decent. Motor was at 140f afterwards.

However it still sounds like the motor is cogging occasionally (like when it takes off) and it looses punch and throttle seems slightly delayed near the mid/end of the run. The other truck with the 18t on normal has no such issues with the same battery. IR is still 2ohms per cell on most my lipos.

Swapping motors now and gonna do another run
Old 04-07-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitzfitz View Post
Thanks for the info, just went from normal to high (15) timing, med start power and went to 16t. Ran the whole battery without shutting down and top speed was decent. Motor was at 140f afterwards.

However it still sounds like the motor is cogging occasionally (like when it takes off) and it looses punch and throttle seems slightly delayed near the mid/end of the run. The other truck with the 18t on normal has no such issues with the same battery. IR is still 2ohms per cell on most my lipos.

Swapping motors now and gonna do another run

Looks like the motor was garbage right out of the box.

Put the old one in from my other truck and it had waaay more punch and sounded smoother and ran a good 15-20 degrees cooler.

Too bad my lhs wont return it
Old 04-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 523 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitzfitz View Post
Looks like the motor was garbage right out of the box.

Put the old one in from my other truck and it had waaay more punch and sounded smoother and ran a good 15-20 degrees cooler.

Too bad my lhs wont return it
Contact castle directly. Skip the middle man.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote