R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Getting bored - What next? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/936113-getting-bored-what-next.html)

mamdot91 03-28-2016 09:13 PM

Getting bored - What next?

Hi guys,

I currently own an ET48, RC8.2e and mini 8. I have a lot of fun driving all 3, dont get me wrong. I just feel I might need a change for a bit. Little change of pace maybe. Different feel, different drive etc. I just wanted suggestions as to what I should go for next. Feedback will be appreciated :).

Cheers.

swop77 03-28-2016 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by mamdot91 (Post 14468038)
Hi guys,

I currently own an ET48, RC8.2e and mini 8. I have a lot of fun driving all 3, dont get me wrong. I just feel I might need a change for a bit. Little change of pace maybe. Different feel, different drive etc. I just wanted suggestions as to what I should go for next. Feedback will be appreciated :).

Cheers.

Maybe take a look towards nitro? Then plug and play is the past, and u get a new level of satisfaction when u have a good day at the track... Or frustration.... Lol are u racing ?

mamdot91 03-28-2016 10:23 PM

No im not racing thats the thing. The RC industry is actually very small here in Pakistan. Therefore there are no dedicated tracks etc I can take my RCs to race. I would love too though, but unfortunately there are no tracks haha.

I had nitro a long time back and I had bad experiences with it. Mostly because of my own lack of knowledge, but i just feel they require more maintenance than electric, which is why I switched to electric.

So no tracks for me mostly just bashing and stuff like that.

werner sline 03-28-2016 10:54 PM

what's missing for you is a real monster truck. like a HPI savage HP flux

you might think it is like a truggy, but the bigger tires bring a different feel : monster trucks are more challenging to drive

you could also put bigger tires on the et48, disconnect the sway bar and go 6s !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6opoxWje5I

mamdot91 03-28-2016 11:16 PM

Yeah monster truck could be a fun way to go. I was considering that. But then how different would the experience really be as compared to an et48 with monster tires?

Sure it would wheelie a lot more as there is no centre diff. but apart from that i'm not sure what else. As an option i was considering the savage flux xl version which should come out sometime in the near future I assume, but then I have these doubts about how different would the experience be. Maybe I just need something that I can drive very hard and just not care about it? I dunno.

Also I already have it running on 6s xD

werner sline 03-28-2016 11:33 PM

I'm restoring and converting an old nitro savage. I build in a center diff. I don't like too much wheelie

I'm taking all the electronics from my truggy.

Actually the fun comes from one basic line : it's fun to have power, even more to have too much power !
truggies can handle 6s way too easily : don't get me wrong, they go insanely fast.
But putting that much power on a monster truck that is higher and that has bigger tires is actually a joke : but a funny joke !

mamdot91 03-29-2016 04:04 AM

What are your thoughts on the proline MT 1/10 scale?

Just thinking of options here .....

Any other suggestions would also be appreciated!

BoostCreep 03-29-2016 05:00 AM

Go retro. Re-release of the Kyosho Optima is due out in a few weeks. That'll be a fun one to drive.

mkl 03-29-2016 05:14 AM

I would suggest you check out something like a Axial Wraith or Bomber. I had a great time researching upgrades (you will need them-not the greatest out of the box but fun). The best part is that they are so different to what you are used to. Going slow, rock crawling, trail running. Totally different driving experience. You can go out for 2 hours (!) on one battery. I found that it helped me learn better throttle control as well. It also is much easier to find someplace to drive. With my go fast cars I needed a larger area to drive, big construction site or the like. But with my Wraith I can go out on the greenway or local park with a lakeside trail.

mamdot91 03-29-2016 05:15 AM

I'm intrigued. Thats an interesting suggestion.

Keep them coming guys - I feel this could develop into a fairly interesting thread after a mix of various hobbyist opinions.

Side note: Personally I like going with reliable choices that can take a real beating.

mamdot91 03-29-2016 05:17 AM

Yeah rock crawlers are an option as well. Initially when I was getting back into the hobby I really wanted a fast, powerful RC. Now that I have those, I'm starting to open up towards the idea of a crawler. Still though, not sure if its going to be my next step.

Thanks for your input!

spookie 03-29-2016 05:20 AM

Savage XS brushless. Tough truck. Prices way down, plenty of parts.

mamdot91 03-29-2016 05:26 AM

I think my mini eight was enough for 1/16th scale. I wouldnt want to go below 10th scale at this point I feel :/ .... Just so many limitations as far as terrains are concerned.

Billy Kelly 03-29-2016 05:29 AM

What about large scale? Could that be an option. What kinds of area do you usually drive on? Grass, sand, dirt ,pavement? If pavenment is an option maybe go for a Rally car.

mamdot91 03-29-2016 10:48 AM

I feel I have access to all types of terrains apart from sand - bit more grass/dirt/clay than pavement.

Large scale would mean going gas? Basically all my accessories and support is set up for electric. Going gas would require a much bigger investment apart from the kits being pricier as well.

Rally cars are also intriguing. I really like the concept of being able to run a car on light dirt type terrains as well as pavement. But then what options would I have in terms of rally cars? Any new, updated rally kits on the market these days?

So current options:
Savage flux (Wait for xl kit release)
Crawler
Retro
Rally
Proline 1/10 MT

Interesting bunch of options. Wondering what would have the highest fun factor