Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting bored - What next?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 04:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by littlebuddha
Hi there, I used to be in islb a while back. I have had all types of cars- always enjoyed drifting my rally car on the marble roof but they are really quite limited to smoother gravel/dirt surfaces but can't beat the scale looks while going fast. I also am biased towards 1/10 4wd buggies- they're rockets- 1/8 bugies are a blast too but a little big for my play area.

I have a pro mt and honestly I wasn't expecting much since I had a stampede a while back but it really is an awesome truck for high speed bashing on bumpy/smooth surfaces - the trencher tires/plush suspension and handling are awesome and the size is just right and the weight is light enough to really throw the truck around - pretty sure you will enjoy ripping it in the area you have. Although the kit is a bit pricey, its quality stuff and you can get away with cheaper electronics 2s lipo with long runtimes.

I've driven a vaterra uno and other 2/wd buggies, senton etc - they're fun but can't beat having the clearance of the big MT tires- the lack of 4wd is not great for going over steep/very rough terrain but you can mostly plow through the rough stuff/branches/twigs/rocks etc. As for durability, I haven't had anything tougher than the senton - its one heavy truck and very well built- but the pro mt is no slouch and the simple drivetrain should last forever.

If you are also into building/detailing side of the hobby, tamiya kits are fun - I've always loved their TA/TB series cars.
Do you live in Pakistan or were you visiting from abroad? Nice to find someone from Pakistan on RC Tech.

Pro MT is great, but I think I want to stick something that'll handle well on a track. Currently I'm considering the proline pro 2 sc or mini 8 (Yes, I have one, but we are thinking of getting 2/3 more and do competitive racing). And I will get multiple SC's too if that is the path I decide to go. Currently thinking of these two. SCB sounds interesting too! I'll do a little research on them!
Old 04-03-2016, 04:09 AM
Tech Regular

I'll also attached some updated pictures of the area to show the progress made from Day 1.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:45 AM
Tech Regular

With the 1/8th truggy+buggy you already know the 'feel' of driving large/heavy/powerful 4wd. And your mini8 is kinda twitchy and frantic and probably skips across the terrain you've shown more than roll over it

So I'm surprised nobody has suggested 2wd buggy: it's such a common class. Or even better: Stadium Truck (which will handle the sand and bits of grass in your sample lot better). You wouldn't need the latest T5M or 22T 2.0 - look for a deal on a used T4.x, or one of the cheap STs from TeamC.

A brushless Stadium Truck is going to feel very light to drive: like you're gently guiding it around the track you build in that lot. All your other vehicles are more 'point it in the general direction and light up all 4 tires' .

If you're looking for a different experience, you'll definitely notice this change: good luck!
Old 04-03-2016, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PetRock
With the 1/8th truggy+buggy you already know the 'feel' of driving large/heavy/powerful 4wd. And your mini8 is kinda twitchy and frantic and probably skips across the terrain you've shown more than roll over it

So I'm surprised nobody has suggested 2wd buggy: it's such a common class. Or even better: Stadium Truck (which will handle the sand and bits of grass in your sample lot better). You wouldn't need the latest T5M or 22T 2.0 - look for a deal on a used T4.x, or one of the cheap STs from TeamC.

A brushless Stadium Truck is going to feel very light to drive: like you're gently guiding it around the track you build in that lot. All your other vehicles are more 'point it in the general direction and light up all 4 tires' .

If you're looking for a different experience, you'll definitely notice this change: good luck!
Yes Petrock, I know exactly what you mean with how these RCs feel. And the twitchiness is EXACTLY what I want to avoid here. Sure, mini 8ts are an options, I can add two to my fleet and then I can host races of 3/4 RCs at a time with friends. Thats an easy option. Cost efficient too since I already have 1 (heavily modded though).

But the twitchy/bouncy kind of ride is what I want to avoid here. I would like something more planted. Especially after driving my 8th scale rigs, im really used to a nice planted RC.

Is a 2wd nice and planted? Also, im thinking of going 2wd because it would be a new driving experience for me, which would be interesting. Aesthetically though, I would prefer a Short Course over a buggy, which is why i'm currently considering getting two proline pro 2 scs at the moment.

In short, two options currently: 2 mini 8ts, or 2 SCs (2wd).

Im open to other possible options as I still have about 3-4 weeks before I actually NEED to order something, as my brother is returning from the states around mid May.

So currently i'm just looking at different options and building the track. haha.

ALSO: I am completely reworking the terrain of the track area - It will be (hopefully) Flat and balanced, not bouncy. My aim is to make as professional a track as I can. Looking over different boundary options too etc. Its gonna start coming together over the course of this coming week. Need to sort out night-time lighting as well since summers in Pakistan are HOT!
Old 04-03-2016, 04:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Mamdot... keep the track very simple to start.

A empty coke can to mark a turn or a piece of wood. That is all you need to get started and learn what is going to be fun. Trust me, we (my son and I) did this when we began in a dirt field in our neighborhood. Soon we had other dads and thier kids out there running laps with us. Turn to tight... move the can, and keep going.
A small piece of plywood to start making some ramp jumps...

A wood box or two for a temp drivers stand works great to get started...

Adding pipes and dirt jumps will come with time.

Keep it simple and fun to start.

And a 2wd stadium truck is the my vote to get you started.
I like the Losi... but better to check what is available for parts at the local hobby shop.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I didn't read the whole thread, but you could always get a plane. When you are sick of that, switch back to the cars. Looks like you are trying to organize some racing which is awesome!
Old 04-04-2016, 02:27 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the suggestions lowspark .. Will keep them in mind as I go along.

mx836 - I'm not into RC airplane/heli etc. Just surface haha. Preferably offroad.

Guys is there any RTR out there thats worth a look? Or should I just play it safe and go with kits?

What are your thoughts on the axial yeti SC truck ... Seems kinda gimmicky? Or are they actually good?
Old 04-04-2016, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Is this enough for a 2wd SC ...

Thinking of pairing this with a proline pro 2 sc.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDRLN&P=M

What kind of speeds can i expect. And the ESC can only handle 2s apparently. Is this a well reputed esc? Or should I go with something else.

If you have any suggestions please leave a link for the esc motor combo. Also what steering servos do you recommend for SC.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2016, 09:54 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

that should be more than sufficient.

Personally, I would give a sensored setup a look for a bit more feel but thats me.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

so the combo can easily handle an SCB? BTW my final decision at the moment is Proline's SCB, thanks to whoever suggested it on here. I hope the combo linked above won't experience any overheating issues while running this? It seems ESC is limited to 2S though.

Does anyone recommend any other ESC/Motor Combo. (I would prefer not to solder wires here - I want to keep it simple with this rig. Ive done the whole soldering etc on my other two rigs; just want plug and play at this moment).

Also Steering servo options please. Haha.

Currently I am in the process of levelling the track area. I will hopefully post a few update pics tomorrow. I still have to start planning they layout of the track. Where to place the jumps etc., stuff like that.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would still recommend something 4wd - in a dusty place like pk and with brushless - you will get good grip without spinning out no matter what condition the track is and on power drifting never gets old- 2wd also fun but a different driving style.
I think maybe the scb may actually be ok- I actually wanted to get one based on my experience with the MT- I think its styling is awesome. Unfortunately, a lot of the other race oriented 2wd buggies (MM) are built/setup for very smooth prepped "dirt" tracks that would be difficult to maintain in pk- drier/different dirt so I would keep that in mind. You could always tune it to handle more bumps/try different tires etc, but I think 4wd buggies would be worth it for the grip- they're light and agile but probably would not be as durable as the 2wd.
I did really enjoy my xxx-t back in the day (second car I owned after the yokomo mr4 rally) but my xxx bk edition had more trouble finding grip, so I would enjoy driving 4wd more based on my experience in islb- especially on an unkempt track.

As for electronics, I've had good luck with hobbyking and trakstar - I think they're good value for what you get/pay. Unless you get one used, I don't know of any pre soldered combos. Savox 1256tg is a great/versatile servo- I also really like my xpert brushless servos- I have heard good things about solar servos as well.

Originally Posted by mamdot91
so the combo can easily handle an SCB? BTW my final decision at the moment is Proline's SCB, thanks to whoever suggested it on here. I hope the combo linked above won't experience any overheating issues while running this? It seems ESC is limited to 2S though.

Does anyone recommend any other ESC/Motor Combo. (I would prefer not to solder wires here - I want to keep it simple with this rig. Ive done the whole soldering etc on my other two rigs; just want plug and play at this moment).

Also Steering servo options please. Haha.

Currently I am in the process of levelling the track area. I will hopefully post a few update pics tomorrow. I still have to start planning they layout of the track. Where to place the jumps etc., stuff like that.

Last edited by littlebuddha; 04-04-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by littlebuddha
I would still recommend something 4wd - in a dusty place like pk and with brushless - you will get good grip without spinning out no matter what condition the track is and on power drifting never gets old- 2wd also fun but a different driving style.
I think maybe the scb may actually be ok- I actually wanted to get one based on my experience with the MT- I think its styling is awesome. Unfortunately, a lot of the other race oriented 2wd buggies (MM) are built/setup for very smooth prepped "dirt" tracks that would be difficult to maintain in pk- drier/different dirt so I would keep that in mind. You could always tune it to handle more bumps/try different tires etc, but I think 4wd buggies would be worth it for the grip- they're light and agile but probably would not be as durable as the 2wd.
I did really enjoy my xxx-t back in the day (second car I owned after the yokomo mr4 rally) but my xxx bk edition had more trouble finding grip, so I would enjoy driving 4wd more based on my experience in islb- especially on an unkempt track.

As for electronics, I've had good luck with hobbyking and trakstar - I think they're good value for what you get/pay. Unless you get one used, I don't know of any pre soldered combos. Savox 1256tg is a great/versatile servo- I also really like my xpert brushless servos- I have heard good things about solar servos as well.
The only reason im going for 2WD is because all my other RCs are 4WD. That different driving experience is what I am looking for!

And soldering is no issue - I can get it done no big deal. Just want decent electronics for a 1/10th scale SC. I am only familiar with 8th scale electronics which is why I am fairly confused as to what steering servo to go with etc. I wouldnt want to drop another 115 for a 7955tg like my 8th scale rigs. Cant some more budget be used for SC tires? like sub 40-50 dollars?

Basically im hoping to keep the ESC Motor and steering servo below $180. Is that a reasonable budget? Lol.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

In that budget you should look at Hobbywing, Speedpassion, Trackstar ESC/motor combos. Savox, Spectrum, Trackstar servos.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:55 AM
Tech Regular

hobbywing sct combos are 192 on amain hobbies. the castle sct sidewinder is 120. Not the same budget :/ ....
Old 04-05-2016, 09:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

The Hobbywing zerospec esc/ motor combo is $94.99 on amain.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...020401/p453305

Here is a speed passion esc/motor combo with a 10.5T for $89.95
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-Passio...QAAOxySoJTWVum

Here is a Trackstar esc/motor combo with a 13.5T motor for $69.83.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...bo_13_5T_.html

There is a wide variety of combos, I just looked it up and picked a link. Im sure if you do some home work you might get better deals. Note that those are just suggestions and only picked sensored based motor/esc since I understand you want to do some racing. Sensorless will be a few bucks cheaper tho.

If you are on a budget I will recommend you to shop at hobbyking, they have warehouses all over the world and might be better for you as far as shipping, and they are good on your wallet. Good products too. Just FYI.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.