Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Getting bored - What next? >

Getting bored - What next?

Getting bored - What next?

Old 03-29-2016, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

What is missing for you, is racing. Competing is where the real fun is in RC. Maybe dedicated some time and energy into getting 6 or 7 other guys into the hobby, and come up with a little informal racing program.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Tech Regular

Highest fun factor? Doing it with others.

Whether it is bashing, racing, crawling, or whatever your crack is. Running alone gets boring pretty quick.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trust me guys I would love nothing more ... It's just that hobbyists here are in their own closed bubbles, including me. I'll try getting in touch with other guys around my area. But I'm certain they wont have any race kits ... The most they will have are vorzas .. Otherwise just MTs and generic stuff like that. I got both my kits from the States, since the stuff sold in our LHSs around here are generic RCs mostly RTR no kits. Anyway thats a separate issue I will try to deal with ... Its defo a good idea.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:25 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 251 (100%+)

nothing wrong with a group of people getting together with a variety of vehicles and just having fun "club" racing.

If I had that local i would be all for it, in any form. Heck, I would be fine just doing oval driving with a fun group if that is all that is available.

As for a different experience, I would consider 1/5 personally. I am an electric guy at heat and never could get the hang of nitro. I had enough trouble with it that I was one of the first to have a converted 1/8 E buggy here back when 20C 6000mah packs were considered great!

When I first tried a gasser, it wasn't the engine that was daunting at all. Its basically a glorified weed wacker. If you can fire those up, and trust me, few pulls and it was fired up, you are golden. Most of the stuff you need to know can be found on videos online. I used HPI Baja ones as the concepts were the same.

After that, it was mainly electrical stuff.

I would then look for a vehicle that has the layout that makes sense and a good manual, and go from there. My first 1/5 was an MCD, loved its performance, but its manual sucked so went with something that had a layout and screw setup that made sense to me, as Redcat Rampage which I think HPI has as there Maverick lineup over seas. fun vehicle.

would love to have a 5ive-T or something similar here if we had a track for them. They would be a blast.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:55 PM
Tech Regular

Just made a Facebook group in hopes to round up a few guys so we can start doing some club racing and stuff. Haha lets see how that goes....

A shoutout to anyone from Lahore, Pakistan on here, JOIN THE PAGE! Lets RC, Lol.

1/5th Scale requires A LOT of space I feel - Just finding such a place to run it is going to be a lot of effort in itself.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mamdot91 View Post
I feel I have access to all types of terrains apart from sand - bit more grass/dirt/clay than pavement.

Large scale would mean going gas? Basically all my accessories and support is set up for electric. Going gas would require a much bigger investment apart from the kits being pricier as well.

Rally cars are also intriguing. I really like the concept of being able to run a car on light dirt type terrains as well as pavement. But then what options would I have in terms of rally cars? Any new, updated rally kits on the market these days?

So current options:
Savage flux (Wait for xl kit release)
Crawler
Retro
Rally
Proline 1/10 MT

Interesting bunch of options. Wondering what would have the highest fun factor
I have 1/5 electric. Short runtimes prevent me from recommending it. This is something big but not 1/5 scales. Kyosho ScorpionXXL. 1/7 scale. Both nitro and electric versions. 2 wheel drive buggy. Similar to the Baja, but doesn't need the space a 1/5 does.
For rally I'd suggest either the Kyosho or the Hpi WR8. Losi, Vaterra ,Associated and Traxxas all have Rally's also. They are based of short course trucks underneath body.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

I know what you mean : I don't run with the others guys because, well, they race, I bash
I have the most fun mastering a jump, building my monster truck, trying a new vehicule that I modify.
actually I spend more time building or repairing than actually driving. But it's Worth it because I learned a lot

One good thing if you find your hobby boring is to stop it for a while !! there are so much other things to do !
then the interest comes back and you rediscover your RCs !

Trust me guys I would love nothing more ... It's just that hobbyists here are in their own closed bubbles, including me. I'll try getting in touch with other guys around my area. But I'm certain they wont have any race kits ... The most they will have are vorzas .. Otherwise just MTs and generic stuff like that. I got both my kits from the States, since the stuff sold in our LHSs around here are generic RCs mostly RTR no kits. Anyway thats a separate issue I will try to deal with ... Its defo a good idea.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:52 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
... Kyosho ScorpionXXL. 1/7 scale. Both nitro and electric versions. 2 wheel drive buggy. Similar to the Baja, but doesn't need the space a 1/5 does. ...

A buddy of mine has that vehicle in the electric version. was "VERY FUN". If you are in sandy areas slap some paddles on the rear and go have a blast.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd say go 1/5th scale, not the same maintenance of nitro, and everytime you hear that exhaust, it'll put a smile to your face.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rcus3r View Post
Highest fun factor? Doing it with others.

Whether it is bashing, racing, crawling, or whatever your crack is. Running alone gets boring pretty quick.
I know all about this in rural nc.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:45 PM
Tech Regular

What do you think of the kraken vekta.5? Interesting piece of kit ....

Also I've realized I could set up a really nice rally track at home. Have the perfect spot. However I don't know how to get in touch with my community - Im just banking on facebook for that ... I feel if i dont find other people for rally theres no use getting into it since itll get boring quickly due to restricted speeds etc? I dunno ... would need some other people for rally for sure i feel ...
Old 03-30-2016, 11:06 PM
Tech Adept

Default Interesting thread

I know how you feel. I was getting really bored with the hobby also. I have a few different vehicles but no matter how many different vehicles i bought or drove i was still not satisfied. I found a group of guys on this forum and started going to the track meetings. So much more fun. I understand it may be hard to find locals in the east to rc with but if you can it will make the hobby so much better for you.If i do drive alone its with my SCX10 on a mountain trail.Trailing can be the most solo rc fun.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:43 AM
Tech Legend

Also I've realized I could set up a really nice rally track at home. Have the perfect spot. However I don't know how to get in touch with my community - Im just banking on facebook for that ... I feel if i dont find other people for rally theres no use getting into it since itll get boring quickly due to restricted speeds etc? I dunno ... would need some other people for rally for sure i feel ...
I'd say definitely determine what you find as the most "fun" aspec of solo RC to you just in case. If pure speed runs does it for you, find a vehicle that will fill that need. If its the building and detail options, a scaler could be that as well.

For me, I think the most fun I had was when I converted a savage flux to 1/5 scale specs using the Alza Racing conversion kit. Its probably the 1 vehicle I regret selling as it was so much fun at that size too.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Looks interesting. But really too early to get an resl opinions on it. About 6 weeks before is available.
If you got room, layout whatever kind of course you want. Rally cars can be plenty fast.
If you are board with hobby due to lack of other people, not sure if any vehicle will fix that. I've run solo for so long, it's strange to see another RC running. Let alone drive with others.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:42 PM
Tech Regular

I think the area I have available (to build an rc track) is appropriate for 1/10 max. Cant do 1/8th. As in if i run my et48 on that track i wont be able to go full throttle at any point.

Ill actually post some pictures of the available area later today (I just got to work, area is at home, lol). You guys can even give me ideas for track layouts etc. I'm certain i'm going towards building an rc track. I've been doing speed runs for so long and random bashing as well, that I feel a track which is a bit technically challenging will create some interest for me now. And also that still leaves room for hobbyists wanting to join me. People are more than welcome to come race/drive around on the track with me.

So anyway - Next I have to post pics of the area for your guys so i can get some feedback on the track's scale. 1/10 or smaller etc. I feel it could do 1/10 just fine. But you guys also tell me.

Secondly, the problem now is that I dont have a 1/10th. I got my mini 8 and then two 1/8th scales. Sure, the mini can run on a 1/10 but then im gonna have to go easy on how difficult I make the jumps. I dunno .... Contemplating buying a 1/10th scale... Thoughts on 1/10th options fun for a track?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service