R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-13-2005, 10:23 AM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain
The Academy buggy for the money with a few modifications can be a good performer for the price. I had one of the first ones in the USA back when there was no pro kit and was quite happy with it once I put some mods on. If someone needs the info on the common mods, feel free to email me.
Cain....you got mail....I'd like to compare notes. Thanks
Racing For Fun!!!
Past TcORC VP
DFroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:21 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Up here in the NorthWest, we have some REALLY rough outdoor tracks that are really geared more for 1/8th scales and MT racing, but I have always had fun with the old XXX-4 on them. On the club level at these tracks, there is typically never enough 4mods to have their own class, but for our big 2-day series races we sometimes have 2 mains worth left on Sunday, and A-3 runs after all the gas A-mains are done.... ROUGH!

I've learned to enjoy a chewed up track though, and had quite possibly one of the best multiple main battles I've ever had on the roughest track I've ever run at. There were knee-deep holes and plenty of rocks, yet there was less than a second seperating 1st and 2nd place in 4mod almost all the way through A2 and A3! We were both running XXX-4's with Novak SS-5800 brushless setups.

Yes, it's hard on the poor little buggies, and stuff that doesn't break just plain wears out, but that's a fair price to pay to race the most fun class ever -- 4WD.
Traxxas Slash w/ STRC LCG conversion
THUMP RC -The only 4 stroke race conversion-
DP-buggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:40 PM   #33
Tech Apprentice

Well, I thought I had to chime in. 4wd drive is my favorite class by far. It's easier to drive and a heck of a lot more fun. In our area, we have an average of 2 FULL heats of 4wd. It's one of the more popular classes. I think if 4wd was to catch on, the cost would go down. And in reality, I haven't broken anything on my XXX4 in quite a while. The only reason it gets a bad rap with breaking is because people will throw insane mods in there and a pull like it's a stock. If there was a 19t spec class, I think that would probably keep the breakage down, making the popularity gain.
Ennjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:38 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I picked up a used XX4 to get started down here. Once we get it going, I'll probably pick up either a new one once they're released or another one of the many cars. Hopefully the new Schumacher will be released by that time.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:41 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Cain / Party_wagon-- you guys don't really get it do you... The upfront costs of a $300+ dollar buggy turns people away, not to mention you wanna talk brushless, that's anothe $250-300, radio.... well I just put all this expensive crap in my car so I should at least get a decent radio $250.... $800-850 and I aint even got batteries...holy $#!t!!!

The Tamiya spec classes run on 540 silvercan motors, not stock or 19T... you can throw the best batteries in the world at them unless you have extra cells you ain't going any faster!!! The cars come RTR for $175 or as a kit with esc and battery for $110!! you can get people in the door with everything they need to race for under $225.... hell I can get my wife, 2 kids, and myself all racing for less than what you have in your 1 buggy!!! And don't even get me started on the BJ4..... I'll have less in my 1/8th scale buggy than that!!!!

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:38 AM   #36
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As an 18 year R/C veteran, I've ran just about every class. 4-wheel drive off road buggies cost alot..... If you drive beyond your limits. I strap in a 9x2, and I take chances... I install a 19 turn... I TQ!!! Common sense prevailed! I've put my XXX-4 1st on the starting grid at CRCRC for quite a few weeks now. I've broken just a few things. These things broke when I'd run the 9x2. My lap times were faster than when I'd run the 19 turn, but less consistent. I did not buy the XXX-4 G+. I just have the plastic car. WHY??? The G+ cars COST ALOT MORE!!! Every one else at the club has a G+. Not needed. Save your money and spend it on practice night!!If the G+ car was that much better, I'd be losing to them RIGHT??? 4 wheelers are only as expensive as you want them to be. Go get a 4 wheel off road buggy!!! Lets revive the best class in off-road racing!!
bshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:41 AM   #37
Tech Elite

1/10th scale F1???? J/K

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:47 AM   #38
Company Representative

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The 4wheel class at the the CRCRC winter race this year should be a BLAST...
One of the biggest yet I think....

Funny part is Jesse TQ'd & won with his XX4 at the Planet race this weekend....By almost a lap!

I'm with Ennjay, 4wheel is my favorite class.
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:57 AM   #39
Tech Regular

I can't wait! To get to run with all of you guys in the funnest class! I haven't been this excited to go racing on sundays in along time! Can't wait to see you all In January. ( I'm having some much fun w/ 4wheel its the only class I'm going to run! )
brianhackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:56 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Asking around, it looks like we should have two FULL heats at CRCRC this weekend! Its just awsome! As for 19t or spec classes, we were originally thinking about have 4wheel be 19t. Unfortunatally with a low turn out to start, we kept it open so as to make sure to not turn any car away! I did, however, keep a 19t in my car to make others comfortable to run it as well to show that they would have fun and be competitive as well!
Old 12-16-2005, 06:47 AM   #41
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Thats great!

I would say maybe see about getting those guys together who are running 4wd regular, and see if they would be interested in trying a spec class thing.

How were your lap times versus the full mod guys and how did the vehicle feel against the mod guys with the 19T power?
Old 12-16-2005, 07:34 AM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Talking 19T

I'm a big fan! I ran 19T against a lot of unlimited buggies. Sure they were a little faster on the 170 ft straight. If I held my line just right and carried my speed there was nothing they could do with it.
The 19T motor is cool because you can gear it to the moon and it has enough torque to do anything.
We run 10 minute mains and the motor barely is over ambient.
They flat out run.
Now I'm running a GTB - 5800 combo. Really not much different performance wise but the no maintenance thing is nice. This is really worth the price considering the cost of a good speedo, lathe and motor. You go back and maintain the brushed motor 2 or 3 times you are almost right at the same price.
I have the 6.5, 5.5 (from my sedan racing) and the 5800 in my arsenal now.

Love these 4x4 buggies. I don't understand the rap on breakage though. It must be a horsepower thing.???? Attention to detail goes along way.
TEX
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:24 AM   #43
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain
Thats great!

I would say maybe see about getting those guys together who are running 4wd regular, and see if they would be interested in trying a spec class thing.

How were your lap times versus the full mod guys and how did the vehicle feel against the mod guys with the 19T power?

The track was getting really ruf (from 1/8 scale) and pretty dusty so the modifieds were just too much, that particular day a 19t took tq and 3rd on qualifying. The 19 turns are usually competitive but you have to drive perfect where as if a modified is on, its speed can generally make up for one or two mistakes.

As for lap times the fastest lap of the day was a 17.9 (10 single) and my fastest w/ a 19t was 18.1, not bad! I also consider my self a average driver so I was very happy!
Old 12-16-2005, 06:40 PM   #44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

In case the whole world doesn't know, there are a bunch of XX4's, old and re-released, on Ebay right now
SMcpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:36 PM   #45
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhackett
Asking around, it looks like we should have two FULL heats at CRCRC this weekend! Its just awsome! As for 19t or spec classes, we were originally thinking about have 4wheel be 19t. Unfortunatally with a low turn out to start, we kept it open so as to make sure to not turn any car away! I did, however, keep a 19t in my car to make others comfortable to run it as well to show that they would have fun and be competitive as well!
Should be a good time.
RodneyB is offline   Reply With Quote