R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-08-2005, 09:52 PM   #1
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Clutch shoes - Alum or Carbon ?

what are the reasons or advantages for you guys to run alum. clutch setup over the carbon ones ? I heard the alum. shoes do " grab " harder but do not last compared to carbon. Also, can someone explain the choices of clutch springs in relation to clutch tunning ? thanks !
Old 12-08-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

light spring = early engagement of clutch, softer transistion

heavy spring = late engagement of clutch, hard hit upon engagement
Brandon Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:12 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to richb3

How much maintenence do you want to do? I had my first aluminum clutch experience recently. I only ran about 2 - 3 races, when I noticed the clutch wasn't working. Well, basically, it completely seized. Thats when I learned that with aluminum you have to do a lot of upkeep. The aluminum wears down and 'wears over' the springs, where it can lock them in place and lock up your clutch. The carbon ones just turn to dust, so you don't have to worry about that.

I haven't noticed any difference in the truck, but I'm not a pro level racer. My 2 cents says stick with carbon unless you want to go real hard and are willing to maintain them religiously.
richb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:39 AM   #4
Tag
Tech Master

the reason i m asking is because i too recently had my first experience with alum shoe clutch setup, i didn't notice any significant performace gain from running it ,maybe a pro level driver can feel the difference but not me not to mention after a few pratice session i noticed the alum. shoes ware out much faster then the carbon ones , i guess i want to know what are the advantages for racers running this setup or is there somthing i am missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb3
How much maintenence do you want to do? I had my first aluminum clutch experience recently. I only ran about 2 - 3 races, when I noticed the clutch wasn't working. Well, basically, it completely seized. Thats when I learned that with aluminum you have to do a lot of upkeep. The aluminum wears down and 'wears over' the springs, where it can lock them in place and lock up your clutch. The carbon ones just turn to dust, so you don't have to worry about that.

I haven't noticed any difference in the truck, but I'm not a pro level racer. My 2 cents says stick with carbon unless you want to go real hard and are willing to maintain them religiously.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:13 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I personally run Alum clutch shoes. For my car I run 1.0 mm springs for early engagement which takes the snap out the 421. My brother also run Alum but perfers 1.1mm springs, he like snappy fast wheel spinning acceleration, while I perfer traction.
Futaba Radio's
chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:34 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

run aluminum shoes if you want the punch off the line and on jumps. but like it was mentioned before, you have to file the spent clutch shavings off of the shoes after each day of racing. i don't mean after each run, but after about 4 hard runs. obviously, carbons don't require hardly any maintenance, but you do sacrafice the performance. i club race competitively, so i use aluminum shoes. but if you are just backyard racing/bashing, carbons are the way to go.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:43 PM   #7
Tech Addict

I second that, Aluminum's are the way to go if you race competitively.
DRKWNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:04 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I run the Alum shoes for any competive event I go to. I have been testing the Fioroni Turbo Slider at club days and it works very similar but it has carbon shoes. I mainly do this to try and cut costs as Alum shoes every couple of clubs meets gets a little on the expensive side. The slider has been 4 months without hassle so far. But any big meet the Mugen flywheel and clutch goes back on, as it has never missed a beat, as long as you keep the maintenence up.
Futaba Radio's
chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:11 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Carbon for me. I dislike having to maintain and replace aluminums so often. Carbons are much more user friendly to me.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 03:07 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to TONAMO

I'm going back and forth between carbon and aluminum clutches to see which setup I like better. So far I like the aluminum, and I don't mind the matinence of them,but how do I know when it's time for a new set?

I also tried the 2 carbon, 1 alum. setup and sometimes it seems the clutches stick while they are engaged.
what are the signs to tell if it's time to buy new alum. clutches?
TONAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:37 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

When they get to worn they'll be to light and take too many rpms to engage. Also when they are to worn they develop more flashing much quicker and I've even had them dig into the flywheel and not be able to close making my buggy not idle.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:09 AM   #12
Tech Elite

do you have washers in between the clutch shoes and the flywheel? that is supposed to stop it from digging into the flywheel.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:51 AM   #13
Tag
Tech Master

yes, if you run alum. shoe setup , washers are a must, otherwise you will go through your alum. shoe fast i learned my lesson the hardway..

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkitty2002
do you have washers in between the clutch shoes and the flywheel? that is supposed to stop it from digging into the flywheel.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:46 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to TONAMO

OK, maybe it's time to get some new aluminum shoes.
TONAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:15 PM   #15
Tag
Tech Master

went to a local hobbyshop and picked up a HPI Teflon clutch shoes, the shop owner says it's a good compromise between alum and carbon..i will give it a try