Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
xb2 DE, B5M TE or Losi 22 3.0? >

xb2 DE, B5M TE or Losi 22 3.0?

xb2 DE, B5M TE or Losi 22 3.0?

Old 03-12-2016, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default xb2 DE, B5M TE or Losi 22 3.0?

I want a 2wd buggy and was wondering which you lot think is the easiest to drive on super low grip, as ive never driven a 2wd id like something easy basically out of the box, im not that great with setup yet, price doesnt matter, nor does parts support as none of them are supported locally.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2016, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

First question is: what is your capabilities on setting up cars?
Old 03-12-2016, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by WillS View Post
First question is: what is your capabilities on setting up cars?
i tend to start with a setup and stick pretty much to it, can make small changes but at best id get to it 70%

Last edited by Gavel; 03-12-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

You really can't go wrong with the B5M. Its the easiest to set up and there's a ton of online support and parts are always available. Truthfully, its hard to go wrong these days. I don't think that there is bad car out there from a major brand. As a rule I don't buy TLR. Other than that your choices are unlimited. The RB6 and XB2 are excellent cars, maybe better, too but parts availability and expense would keep them off my list....although I do have both Xray and Associated cars.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
You really can't go wrong with the B5M. Its the easiest to set up and there's a ton of online support and parts are always available. Truthfully, its hard to go wrong these days. I don't think that there is bad car out there from a major brand. As a rule I don't buy TLR. Other than that your choices are unlimited. The RB6 and XB2 are excellent cars, maybe better, too but parts availability and expense would keep them off my list....although I do have both Xray and Associated cars.
Why no TLR?
Old 03-12-2016, 09:25 PM
Tech Champion

I ran the 22 and the SCT a few years ago. Dog poop quality. Outdrives wore out fast, pins came out of dogbones, stiff plastic that snapped easily....etc etc. They will not be able to win me back. My overall experience was extremely poor with all their stuff. I moved to Kyosho for a couple of years and back to AE when the B5 series was released. Kyosho sells a great product but the B5M is just so easy to own and work on. I'm trying Xray out right now and everything of theirs is pretty much the best [IMHO] but the cost of replacement parts is prohibitive and their supply chain is weak. Its often hard to get parts. If you run Xray you have to really want it.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

I ran the 22 and the SCT a few years ago. Dog poop quality. Outdrives wore out fast, pins came out of dogbones, stiff plastic that snapped easily....etc etc. They will not be able to win me back. My overall experience was extremely poor with all their stuff. I moved to Kyosho for a couple of years and back to AE when the B5 series was released. Kyosho sells a great product but the B5M is just so easy to own and work on. I'm trying Xray out right now and everything of theirs is pretty much the best [IMHO] but the cost of replacement parts is prohibitive and their supply chain is weak. Its often hard to get parts. If you run Xray you have to really want it.
I can get xray parts directly from the Australian distributor, so you vote xray over ae performance wise?
Old 03-12-2016, 10:00 PM
Tech Champion

I don't know yet. I haven't been able to use my XB2 DE yet. My XB4 is the best 4wl buggy I've ever had and I've owned quite a few. I'm pretty sure the XB2 will be excellent too. My Carpet Edition car was excellent on clay.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

I don't know yet. I haven't been able to use my XB2 DE yet. My XB4 is the best 4wl buggy I've ever had and I've owned quite a few. I'm pretty sure the XB2 will be excellent too. My Carpet Edition car was excellent on clay.
Sounds promising, then if i get a 4wd i can stick with xray and since i dislike the ae 4wd, that works nicely
Old 03-12-2016, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

low grip track......none of the above, go rear mount
Old 03-13-2016, 01:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hacker View Post
low grip track......none of the above, go rear mount
Xb2 de comes rear mount capable, and from what ive read rear mount isnt any faster, just a bit easier to setup
Old 03-13-2016, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Despite what people say I've found that there's no need for a RM car. My home track is bluegroove 8-9 months of the year and wet dirt the other 3-4 months and we don't even bother switching anymore. I ran a B5M & B5 last winter and my lap times were marginally better with the MM all winter long. I spent equal time trying to set them up etc. I think its more of a driver preference than anything else.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

I used to feel this way UNTIL I got a 22 3.0. I don't have a B5m, but I do have a T5m.. I feel the build quality and fit and finish is better than my T5m. I've taken A LOT of spills and the only thing I have broken so far is the rear shock tower.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

I ran the 22 and the SCT a few years ago. Dog poop quality. Outdrives wore out fast, pins came out of dogbones, stiff plastic that snapped easily....etc etc. .
Interesting, my experience has been the polar opposite. Best quality, zero wear, almost never breaks.

If you're running on a lower traction surface, buy a nice used TLR22 2.0 or AE B5r. RM is easier to drive in lower traction. If you're debating between the two, you're probably not skilled enough to take advantage of an MM car's corner speed and they're harder to drive if traction isn't pretty good.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

I can't say anything about the new 22 3.0. I've heard that its a great car but I won't buy one or sell TLR products at the track anymore. My experience is different than that of most because I know what its like to be on both sides of the counter in the LHS. What I can say is that I can recommend a B5M, or even RB6, to somebody and be 100% sure that I gave that person good advice.

Once you've been driving MM for a while its hard to go back to RM. I still have a regular B5 laying around but I haven't used it in over a year. With a little tuning and extra weight a MM car can be easy to drive on low grip too. There's a little extra push and less steering but over the course of 3 months of testing a couple of us found MM to be better for us. Another thing that we noticed was that the higher the skill of the driver the greater the benefit. My close friend who is pretty much a pro saw a much greater benefit than I did. He was a good .5 a lap faster.

Maybe MM is a fad. I don't know. What I have observed is that its rare to see a RM car on a track these days, anywhere. We have one guy that runs his B4.2 at our track but that's just because he's a beginner and bought it on EBAY. He doesn't want to spend the money on a new car until he's sure he wants to continue racing.

My last comment about this is that all of the cars have come a long way. They are all much better than the last generation. You could be competitive with a buggy from any major brand. If you're not really skilled at tuning I'd stick with whatever everybody else runs locally. I think tires are more important than what buggy you choose.