R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-07-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Good "reliable" 1/8 buggy engine?

Any suggestions for a good RELIABLE 1/8 buggy engine. I'm planning to get a jammini x1cr buggy and I'm not sure which enigne to go with. I plan to race a little with it on a med/large track as well as some bashing. I figure a $300 max budget. And since that's a whole lot of coin for me, i want the engine to be relliable and last long. I was set on the OS v-spec because os has a good reputation tuning wise but i recently heard of many problems with the v-spec including short bearing life, leaks and that it's a 3 gallon engine.

Any recommendations?
rai
rai13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Try the Novarossi NR21BF. It's a 3 port with Italian build quality for $200.
They have had great reviews so far.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

I just went to acehardware hobbies' web site and googled "NR21BF" but i couldn't find anything. any links.

rai
Old 12-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

You can't go wrong with a werks collari engine. The engines are nearly indestructable. I've seem them completely abused, endure an hour long main running at 350 deg. and fire right back up good as new. The bearings also virtualy never need replacing. They make a 3 port model and a 7 port model. The 3 port has more bottom end and the 7 port has more top end.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:38 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Default Nova 3 port .21

Woops! I got the name of the engine wrong. Here's a link:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id=3245

I have 2 Collari B7's myself. They are ballistic fast but probably not as easy to tune as a Nova 3 port from what I've heard about them. The Collari B3's carb is supposed to be problematic too (the alloy carb).

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:05 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

rex or nova p5 is an incredible engine for the money.
Are you new to 1/8 scale? tuning?
If you are I would suggest cutting teeth on something like an o.s. rg.
They are inexpensive ,hold a tune and are surprisingly peppy for a sport motor.
Just my .02
tinbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:23 PM   #7

Trader Rating: 148 (99%+)

When I first started 1/8th scale, I used a couple of OFNA Hyper 8-port motors. They can be be bought/rebuilt at a reasonable price on ebay, they hold a tune very well, and they last good too. Not to mention run very well at that. Now granted, they aren't the fire-breathing engines that can be bought for 250-300 bucks or more, but for most of us mere mortals at weekly club races, motor doesn't win the race anyway, the driver does...
Just my 2-cents----great, now I'm broke again!!!

==TEAM NOVELTY==
WYLDTHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:30 PM   #8
Tech Regular

The Werks Collari B-7 is an awesome motor.My 1st pick.

The P-5 is also my second pick.Has a nice power band,and is controllable.

I raced at Lance Norricks The Farm for the Octoberfest and it would scream down the straights,and would take the bottom in power sections no prob.It temps 190-200 just about every time.People asked my Dad about it all weekend."Is it a mod?''.Probably one of the fastest motors at the track.

If you are interested in one let me know.We are a dealer and can sell you one for a really good price.If you want I will PM you.
Sofast-NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:18 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Save your $$$ and get a Nova N21BF. For $200 you can't beat it, and you won't notice the extra power of a P5 versus the extra dime you'll spend.

The other engines listed are excellent choices but your post shows you're on a budget. Save the $100 and stick w/the N21BF, it's a screamer and you can spend that extra $100 on tires, fuel, tools, etc.
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:55 PM   #10

Trader Rating: 148 (99%+)

Or, buy an 8-port off of ebay for 100.00, and save yourself almost 200 hundred bucks to buy tires, hop-ups and whatever---and still have more than enough power to win all but the biggest of races you'll attend.....

==TEAM NOVELTY==
WYLDTHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:35 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to supralative Send a message via Yahoo to supralative

I will be an OS RG 21 soon...not bad but doesnt have the top end pull.
I will probably go back to another Hyper21 8 Port. This engine with the OS20E carb is killer...holds a tune like no other and rips. Bottom is decent but not bad at all.

I am running one now but its about a season old so its gonna be a back up in worst case scenarios.

The only motor I have scene visually pull other motors, out jump them, out punch them from corners, and just crazy run is the RB Big Bottom C5.

When you cant get the power to the ground though its useless... .
supralative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:36 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Is the NOva rossi 421b the 8 port version of n21bf? Whats the main difference? I'm new to 1/8 buggy but had three nitros before this. I can tune but i'm not the best. I just don't want to deal with a finicky, hard to tune engine that wont last long. I'm asking about the 421b becuase i could get if for about $250 nip. Is this a good price? As for the vspec, does everyone agree to the earlier statments about it's reliability? Is $220 for a "unreliable" vspec nip too much?

thanks for all the help
rai
Old 12-08-2005, 10:50 AM   #13
Tech Champion

The 421 is very different than the n21 but is an excellent motor. The 421 would be a little harder to tune but the basic rules are the same. $250 is a great price for that engine but you will probably still be happier with the n21. The sale price on A-main hobbies website is even lower than what we've been talking about here.

The vspec is super fast and reliable in terms of tuning but the bearings are known to have a poor lifespan. Figure on spending $40 on a pair of bearings from BOCA (nothing tragic) sometime in the engine's early life.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:36 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

How is the Fantom FR.21? Is there anything I should know about it??? and are parts interchangeable between the FR.21 and other engine brands (mainly the backplate)

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:42 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Id steer clear of the japan made engines like fantom, sh, peak, ect.. Nova based engines rock cant beat a P5. For buget minded id go with the picco x3. Italian built 3port that works great on the track. Its an awsome mid to tight track motor little short on the long straigts though. Cant go wrong for 100.00 good power and half the fuel.
The v-spec has never impressed me in terms of reliabilty.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote