R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-05-2002, 05:51 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

dogbone getting out of the socket

How do I fix this problem?
I have an HPI MT and the dogbone of the front right wheel keeps coming out of the wheel socket.
All rods were installed as per instructions

Thanks all
leblancr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 04:40 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Don't know that car, but here's a couple of ideas...

Is there any wear/damage to the driveshaft and cup?

Did the instructions call for o-rings to be fitted in the cups, if so are they there?

Even though the rods were fitted as the instructions said, do the wheel angles look right?

Were the shocks assembled to the correct length? Too much travel could make the dogbone fall out.

One good hop-up on all cars are universal joint/CVD driveshafts for the front of the car, these are very unlikely to fall out, and smooth out the transmission at full lock.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 07:31 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

sosidge is basiclly right. If you must run the dogbones on the front of the MT then you need to put limiters in both the outdrive and the wheel cup. The instuctions recommend o-rings but small pieces of fuel tubing work better. Fuel tubing is softer and will not bind up like harder o-rings can.

But as soon as you can, you should upgrade to universals on the front drivelines. Along with putting some type of spacers in the cups, you also should check the max travel of the front suspension arms and the steering knuckles. If the front shocks allow the arms to droop too far up or down then the ends of the dogbones pop out of the cup. Or, more likely, the front steering needs to have stops installed so the steering knuckles don't over steer when you bump something with the side of the tire.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 08:01 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

small o rings will resolve your problem. you can also get either the diff shafts or the axles from the rush (i don't remember wich at the moment sorry). but you are having the same problem as on hpi's super nitro. go to hpi's web site and look at the manual updates for the super nitro and you will read what i am talking about.
HARLEY1874666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 03:53 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

I had that same problem with my rc10gt. My LHS only had the little red rings in the shock rebuild kit, about 4.00, and I get to rebuild some of the shock.
ChainedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 04:00 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

I had that same problem with my rc10gt. My LHS only had the little red rings in the shock rebuild kit, about 4.00, and I get to rebuild some of the shock.
ChainedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 05:25 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Default Universals/CVD's for NMT

I would avoid CVD's and Universals for the NMT. Too many posts in other threads about problems with them on this truck.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 07:37 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Not to be disagreeable but first off the "Nitro" MT and the "RS4" MT are very different animals where power and torque is concerned.

I have been running universal's in a 3 year old EMT running Sonic II modifieds in the 10x2 to 16x4 range for quite sometime. I don't bash. I race offroad in an unlimited class as there is not an official 4wd 'truck' class.

And fuel tubing is still a better choice over o-rings. o-rings tend to be either too many or not enough to keep a bone centered well when moving through the entire range of travel of the swing arm. Fuel tubing can be cut exactly to size for a snug fit but is more compressable so it doesn't bind the drive line.

I have worn out 3 sets of front universals over a period of hard racing which is normal. I personally still believe that if front hub carrier stops are installed there is no issue with the universal's in the EMT.

But what do I know?
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote