Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP, fried GTB 5.5 in under 1 minute

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Default HELP, fried GTB 5.5 in under 1 minute

UNREAL. I hook the thing up in my XX-4, run the thing and it's working, configure it an whatnot. I charge my 6 pack 3700 GP's, hook them up and turn on the ESC and the thing beeps and smokes.

Any ideas what I did? Nothing was crossed, everthing was tight. I even ran the same pack in my XXX-4 with my SS5800 for fear that pack fried the ESC. The pack is fine, works fine in the xxx-4. Think I got a bum unit? I just can't for the life of me figure out if I did anything wrong.

Also, how fast is Novak with repairs?

Thanks, Kevin
Old 12-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

AWWWWW MAN... you really screwed things up gooo..... J/K

Chances are it was one of those freak one in a million units that was just destined to die at birth..... Novak is usually pretty promt with their service...
Old 12-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Novak is pretty quick with repairs, I'd just send it back to them pronto and get it fixed.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I must have gotten one of those too, my GTX quit on me last friday for no reason.

Now I know why I have never run novak before, so glad tekin is back.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would bring it back to the LHS you bought it from and get them to exchange it!
Old 12-06-2005, 06:27 AM
Tech Adept

The guy at teh LHS, is a real JERK. He specifically states, any problems, don't bring it back to me, bring it to Novak. It wasn't RC Excitement BTW. Those guys are cool, it's just that they didn't have one, and wanted $40 more than this place. Anyhow, I overnighted it to Novak. Like I said before, technology doesn't impress me. I just can't understand why it fried. Do you think perhaps it's because after I charged the pack it was up to 8.4 volts or something? I charge it at 5.0A 5mV/C and 52 deg celcius.

I just can't understand why it ran when the pack was dull, then fried after I charged it.

Kevin
Old 12-06-2005, 07:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Could've been a fluke. Novak will back you up.
Were the tabs that the power wires come out of touching the chassis? The Graphite chassis conduct electricity.
Give it another chance, I bet you will like it.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:10 AM
Tech Adept

Nope, no wires, or tabs touching, the wires I shortened on the motor were meticulously soldered, no solder leaking over to other tabs. All wires tight. Shrink tubing over the deans. I'm careful with that stuff. I like everything to be neat as I'm a nit picker. Probably just a bad unit. I'll be afraid to put the new one back in when I get it now I couldn't believe the heat and smoke. My wife was ready to get a bucket of water, LOL. She thought the house was going to burn down

Kevin
Old 12-06-2005, 07:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think it's standard procedure to have any ESC sent into the manufacturers repair facility rather than have the LHS take your broken one and issue a replacement.

A guy that races with me sent in his Novak SS+ 5800 because one of the sensor wires got cut. Novak took a couple of weeks for some reason and then sent him a replacement, but it was a 4300. Don't expect Novak to overnight it back.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:36 AM
Tech Adept

Well, they have a form, you can pick the shipping you want. I picked 2 day UPS for $5 I think. I might call them and have it overnighted if I get too impatient, or I might just buy a brushed system for the meantime, seeing that I can't use the thing anyhow due to all the snow and slush.

I make a lot of sense

I just have a problem, I couldn't sleep well last night knowing my new brushless was taking a trip back to Cali. If my stuffs in good order and working, I am able to function a lot better.

Kevin
Old 12-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Tech Addict

I can understand that. Who needs more stress? I think we'd all be agonized by spending $250 and not even getting to run the darn thing.

I was a little worried at first about my SS+ 5800 system because all those sensor wires seem so fragile, but it's holding up okay. I have mine in a XXX4 though so it's more protected than it would be in a 2wd buggy or truck.

I shortened my wires too. I wanted it to look all nice, so I spent a lot of time jamming the perfectly soldered end into the tiny hole. At one point I was pretty sure I melted the PC board, but I didn't hehe.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Tech Legend

Sorry bout your luck...

But

All the racer`s at my track experience nothing but great performance from their Novak GTB `s.....
Attached Thumbnails HELP, fried GTB 5.5 in under 1 minute-wc.jpg  
Old 12-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

it shouldnt and could not have been rc excitement because todd runs his shop in tip top shape and always helps out when needed.

where was this thing bought at. i prolly know who tho
Old 12-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Tech Adept

Arrow

sigh...... should have went with the LRP! Nah lol novak is a very reputable company they should have it fixed within a week or two, no biggie.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by xxx-tkid
it shouldnt and could not have been rc excitement because todd runs his shop in tip top shape and always helps out when needed.

where was this thing bought at. i prolly know who tho

What's Todd got to do with it? He'd do the same thing, tell me to send it back to Novak, well maybe he'd give me a spare to use, he's good like that. It wasn't purchased at RC excitement, but at hobby usa. the most useless hobby store on the planet. I had the $240, so I said screw it, ima buy it and I did, and I got screwed. Oh well, Novak'll hook me up and hopefully the next one will work longer than 5 minutes.

Kevin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.