Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Problems with a torment in the woods >

Problems with a torment in the woods

Problems with a torment in the woods

Old 03-10-2016, 01:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Problems with a torment in the woods

Guys i need some advice on my truck. Its a 2wd ecx torment. i have 2 issues that im trying to solve. I added 2 extra tires to the rear bumper of the truck and now it is causing the rear to sag to the point that i cant crawl over anything in the woods...2nd, i used some random thick grease in the diff to try and lock it, but when i go through the woods it does slip randomly. im not sure of another way to lock that diff..
*xl5 full system
*venom 2cell lipo
*still has factory sc wheels
Old 03-10-2016, 07:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Truth Isnt Here View Post
Guys i need some advice on my truck. Its a 2wd ecx torment. i have 2 issues that im trying to solve. I added 2 extra tires to the rear bumper of the truck and now it is causing the rear to sag to the point that i cant crawl over anything in the woods...2nd, i used some random thick grease in the diff to try and lock it, but when i go through the woods it does slip randomly. im not sure of another way to lock that diff..
*xl5 full system
*venom 2cell lipo
Are the extra tires just spares to look cool? Take them off if they're weighing the back down.

Don't use "random diff grease". If you really want to lock it up, use 50k or 100k diff oil. Not sure if the Torment diff is sealed to prevent leaking when using diff oil, but that weight would be so thick I think you'd be okay.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The torment diff is not sealed. I was looking it to it for a while for my son's Torment, and found a post where they added some o-rings and the diff would hold oil for a while, but eventually it will leak. I did like the OP and added axle grease to the diff. That slows it down some, helps on the track/at speed, but does not help for crawling.

And if you really want the tires on the rear, you need stiffer springs. The stock springs are weak even with the truck unloaded.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

*xl5 full system
*venom 2cell lipo
1) you need to add more preload clips to the rear (the clips between the spring and shock body) to raise up the ride height so you can crawl over obstacles

2) the "thick grease" may not be thick enough. you'll need diff lock putty instead of grease

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...rce3007/p13268
Old 03-10-2016, 08:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

The tires are there for merely a cosmetic standpoint. I wanted to build the truck around the look of the truck instead of taking them off for obvious reasons. I wanted the added weight but i did not take in consideration the effect it would have on the springs. I have pre load clips ready to go but was wondering if i should keep the 35k oil or bump up to 50k(just because i have it on hand).

im going to look into the putty and see what i can do with it, im pretty sure i would just like it to be locked 100% so ill see what diy things i can find, other than that as of right now, thanks for the input guys
Old 03-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

The tires are there for merely a cosmetic standpoint. I wanted to build the truck around the look of the truck instead of taking them off for obvious reasons. I wanted the added weight but i did not take in consideration the effect it would have on the springs. I have pre load clips ready to go but was wondering if i should keep the 35k oil or bump up to 50k(just because i have it on hand).

im going to look into the putty and see what i can do with it, im pretty sure i would just like it to be locked 100% so ill see what diy things i can find, other than that as of right now, thanks for the input guys

You'll need a heavier spring If the clips do not result the desirable ride height. Adding heavier oil will only slow down the weight transfer speed, but it will still sit too low.

If you want 100% locked diff add J.B weld to the spider gears in the diff assembly. Be warned once this is done you can't remove the JB weld. you'll have to buy a complete diff if you ever want to going back to using a open diff set up.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:27 PM
Tech Adept

Ultimately it sounds like you want to do scale rc. Eventually a sct won't be very good. As far as diffs go, there are tons of locking videos on YouTube. I would just put one tire on the back as well, because you won't have to do as much adjusting, plus it actually would look more realistic and scale than two spares IMO. Then you don't have to go to quite an extreme to tune it with all that weight, it's halving the weight.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
You'll need a heavier spring If the clips do not result the desirable ride height. Adding heavier oil will only slow down the weight transfer speed, but it will still sit too low.

If you want 100% locked diff add J.B weld to the spider gears in the diff assembly. Be warned once this is done you can't remove the JB weld. you'll have to buy a complete diff if you ever want to going back to using a open diff set up.
i totally forgot about jb weld, thanks for that! pretty sure that will fix it for me.

im pretty sure you are right about the heavier springs..the clips helped a little bit for flat ground driving, but didnt fix the squishy in the springs when i go over things.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by shirillz731 View Post
Ultimately it sounds like you want to do scale rc. Eventually a sct won't be very good. As far as diffs go, there are tons of locking videos on YouTube. I would just put one tire on the back as well, because you won't have to do as much adjusting, plus it actually would look more realistic and scale than two spares IMO. Then you don't have to go to quite an extreme to tune it with all that weight, it's halving the weight.
im not sure if i would call it scale
im pretty much just trail driving in the back woods and occasionally have to run over large sticks or random potholes. I think i just received good advice on here just a few minutes ago about my weight issue so im sure ill be able to keep my two tires in the back.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

I may use my proline powerstrokes from my slash and see how it handles,im pretty sure those shocks will fix my problem..fingers crossed
Old 03-11-2016, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

1- The shocks are not the problem, the issue is the springs. You need stronger springs to support the extra weight. Pre-load clips may help, but only a bit.

2- for a less-permanent lock for the diff, try silly putty.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

i used jb weld in the diff..its locked now and its made the drive much better.

waiting on my new springs from team associated, have full set of their hard springs coming so hopefully that helps