Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bubbaslash

Slash 1/10 running in hot weather

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 01:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Slash 1/10 running in hot weather

Hi all

I am moving to Spain shortly and i am looking at opening up a RC car track where people can run their own trucks but where i will also hire out some slash 2wd 1/10 brushless trucks.

My worry is with the temperatures there sometimes being around 100 degrees f will i have big trouble with the motors burning out?

I will be using 10,000mah 2s lipos and i am hoping to run 8x5 minute races an hour.

What do you think?

Any help much appreciated
Old 03-08-2016, 05:42 AM
Tech Regular

Ron Schuur- from Schuurspeed motors basically told me via email. Motors work better cooler and last longer. So yes you are going to burn out motors more in that heat. How much more I couldn't tell you, is it enough that your operation isn't viable. That you will have to get some technical advice I'd think. Contact the motor manufacturer direct.

In regards to using fans, you'll have to test. I run a pro4hd in my slash 4x4 2s battery with a WTF fan direct to the ESC not through the receiver in those temperatures and it still gets very hot. Without the fan I could add 15°c onto that though. Mind you I could gear down but the eighth scale straights I run on are long. So I'm willing to heat it up. I'm looking at 13/53 gearing over 5 minutes and I come off at about 50° probably 60° at the temperatures you are planning on. If I didn't have the fans we are talking 70-80° and I wouldn't like those temps.

You'll be only using 2wd, gear them down a bit. Hard to say without knowing what motors you would run. I'm guessing the velineon, I don't have numbers on those.

Sorry couldn't help more, call Traxxas.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you want those motors to last longer and not get too hot, don't use the 10,000 mah lipos. Try some 5000 mah lipos instead and give the trucks some time to cool between runs.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Try adding a heat sink to the motor, it's cheap and simple and they normally drop temps 10-15 degrees without a fan.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Another good idea is the RPM hybrid trans case. the aluminum motor plate acts as a heatsink without hanging a big chunk of aluminum (full aluminum trans case) off the back of the truck
PSD likes this.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:53 PM
Tech Regular

You'l be fine with a motor fan (heat sinks work, but heat sink + fan works far better).
EDIT:
Not sure if there might be issues with fans and a BRUSHED motor, magnets. Heat sink, possibly with some thermal paste might make a difference but cooling time will mean the most. Temp gun will tell you what you need.

Just don't run them back to back!

Maybe RED & BLUE races...

On Red races, only red label cars on track, same with blue. That way you ALWAYS have at least 5 minutes of cooling time between races, keep the batteries plugged in from the last race to run the fan until just before the next race and the new battery is plugged in.

Be careful charging up hot Lipos... have enough batts on hand that you're not running them back and forth between the cars and chargers hot because they'll not last too long that way.

Also, I'd run slow brushless motors. Keep the parts and repairs cheaper. Brushless is just to not have to replace brushed motors.

Maybe have a "Super Slash" available for rent for track practice, but not racing. Lower center of gravity chassis, FAST brushless motor, faster servo, well maintained with quality setup.

Last edited by purplegrape; 12-04-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GlenMoore1
Old thread but I personally can't do anything when it's too hot and I feel my body give way.
That's because I got used to air conditioning a lot and it has already come in as an irreplaceable habit.
When it broke down last week, I panicked a bit but turned to good A/C repair services and they fixed everything in a few hours. It's good that I managed to get rid of this situation, that I was going to die without a conditioner.
lol what?
Old 12-04-2020, 05:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlairW
lol what?
It's Spam.