R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-02-2005, 04:09 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Arrow Custom A-Arms for MP777...YOUR input is wanted!

Attention all MP777 drivers...

I'm considering designing some custom MP777 front a-arms, and I would appreciate your input on the design. I'm looking for your input on where the arm might need strengthening, more shock mounting points, etc.

To give you a bit of background on this design effort, I'm an engineering student looking for a design project in which I will optimize the design of an existing part. That's the goal, anyhow...whether or not I end up with a "optimized" part is yet to be seen... For a variety of reasons, I have chosen the MP777 front a-arms as a likely candidate for the design project. At this point, the purpose of this project is to gain some design and manufacturing experience, not to mass-produce an aftermarket option part. If it goes well and I end up with a great part, I might be able to produce a few extra sets, but that's about as far as production will likely get. Again, it's more for learning and experience.

Please post any opinions you have on the stock a-arms and what you might like to see in a "new and improved" arm. I know Kyosho already makes top-notch stuff, MP777 a-arms included, but maybe you guys see some room for improvement. Thanks in advance for your input!
SeattleRCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:53 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Sounds like a good idea.

I was cleaning my 777 the other day and I noticed that the right front A-arm had a crack or split,where it is reinforced.

Thats what the farm 2 at Lances can cause.The 40 min A-Main probably caysed that.
Sofast-NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Thanks for the response, Sofast-NT! Could you post a pic of your cracked arm?

Anyone else have some input??
Old 12-04-2005, 08:34 AM   #4
Tech Regular

I will try.

It is a small crack in the webbing.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:21 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to cmain

A few ideas for you

Perhaps design it to use the x-ray caster adjustment system.

Or design it like a losi xxx rear arm kind of a u shape for more suspension travel.

Or fix the problem some people have when using aftermarket knuckles they rub the arm at full droop.

You could add an extra set of holes for adjusting the width of the car like losi.

Captured hinge pins would be nice.

Maybe aerodynamic improvements like a wing shape on the leading edge to create downforce.
cmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:55 AM   #6
Tech Regular

reversible arms. for more adjustment of the lower shock positions.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:02 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty
reversible arms. for more adjustment of the lower shock positions.
I don't own a K car, but I can tell you thgis is a very good idea, like Tamiya did with their new suspension arms.... this way instead of having to add a full new set of holes now you get "in-between holes".....

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:34 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone!! Keep 'em coming!

Here's a question for everyone... If you had the choice between Delrin and aluminum, what would be your pick and why? The answer might be obvious, but I still want your reasons. And I'm hoping to get answers from both sides, so for those who would choose the less popular option, please voice your reasons!

I'm also open to other suggestions on material. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2005, 03:47 PM   #9
Tech Regular

so u want to make your arms out of aluminium? this has been tried and no real racers will be found dead with aluminium arms.

they dont provide any flex and will bend itself, or other parts like hing pins, pin holders, bulkheads etc

i only seen them on newbies cars and even then only for a few laps coz they break soon after lol

in terms of strenght, its really a matter of trial and error. a few xray drivers have found the new soft arms have problems.

i think you should just make the arm have more adjustability, like already mentioned reversible arms, and also having the wheel base adjustable, like the mugen have by being able to put a 2mm spacer either infront or behind the lower arm.
Doomah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:35 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Doomah: Thanks for your input! Sounds like more adjustability is desired more than anything so far. And no, I didn't say I want to make the arms out of aluminum. Like my post states, I simply want to find out what other people's preferences are. I know what most people prefer, but I still want to hear all opinions and their reasons.

As a side note, I may end up running a batch of aluminum arms for the sake of comparison as well as the fact that it is more easily and cheaply obtainable in my machine shop than delrin, other plastics, and composite materials.

Anyone else have some input? I'm eager to hear it!
Old 12-05-2005, 04:49 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Delrin please.

Stronger,Lighter,and more adjustability.