R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-27-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Help me revive a RC10T, tell me what I need

I am practically being given a RC10T in great condition. It has a relatively new speed controller, and some suspension work. I know the motor is outdated by a few years..........I want to say its a 16 turn maybe.....not positive (havent been in the RC scene for a while).

There are a few tracks around here, all with jumps. One is fixing to get extended to have a long backstretch for some top end, with a big single jump on one straightaway. So the car will see some short track action, but it will also see some top end action. It will see pavement, but I am sure a quick change in the suspension and a tire swap will be all I will need currently for that.

So tell me, what motor should I go with? I know its RWD, so I don't want to overpower this thing.....but I do want it to scream. I am probably going to just have to learn how to drive conservatively with more power than I need. What battery packs, etc? Please let me know........I am clueless!

TIA
LXative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 12:05 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

If your just getting started I would sell the speedo and go brushless, that way you don't have to worry about getting a lathe and rebuilding brushed motors. But if you wanna get going right away and have some fun try a trinity speed gem machine wound motor they are good for the money. Good luck I had many 10Ts and they were tanks. Learn a little on it and get ready to step up and get a more competitive truck for racing, but you can't go wrong with it as a first vehicle or a basher.
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 08:45 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroffBall
If your just getting started I would sell the speedo and go brushless, that way you don't have to worry about getting a lathe and rebuilding brushed motors. But if you wanna get going right away and have some fun try a trinity speed gem machine wound motor they are good for the money. Good luck I had many 10Ts and they were tanks. Learn a little on it and get ready to step up and get a more competitive truck for racing, but you can't go wrong with it as a first vehicle or a basher.
Thanks for the reply. I talked it over with a few people who have been in the RC scene heavy for the last 2-3 years........they both talked me out of the RC10T. I am probably going to get a Revo or a TMaxx. RC cars change as much as computers and automobiles. Amazing what the Revo has in it technology wise.
LXative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

Well I've been racing for 15 yrs and I don't believe any begineer should start off with a nitro vehicle. Some people are fine with it but I've seen too many people get frustrated and give up. My suggestion always is get a nice electric vehicle learn about setup, tire choice, etc... then step into nitro after you have that figured out. However if you have someone around that can give you plenty of help with motor tuning and stuff you should be alright.
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote