Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2016 Cactus Classic >

2016 Cactus Classic

2016 Cactus Classic

Old 03-13-2016, 01:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Saw some of the AE drivers at the rcexpo race show here in ca they were running the lay down transmission also the rear shock tower looked production not the carbon flat one maybe something in the works
Old 03-13-2016, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Wouldn't be surprised to see ae release a carpet/Astro edition car.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
Nope, people aren't going/didn't go because it sucked last year. It needs to go back outdoors. We had 8 guys last year and it wasn't worth the effort. None of us knew anything about a NASCAR race, we just didn't want to go back. It was more fun before it went to SRS.
Its always been at SRS just under different ownership
Old 03-13-2016, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Is the old location even still around?
Old 03-13-2016, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
Is the old location even still around?
It's a bunch of condos these days. Photo is looking from the exit of the Wendy's across the street.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Cactus Classic-image.jpeg  
Old 03-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SCRAFAN View Post
Its always been at SRS just under different ownership
I think everybody knows what I mean. It was traditionally an outdoor event run by somebody else.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:56 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

A laydown car IS coming from AE, give it a few months.

AE did not have any prototype 4wd there.

Maifield still hates that track, and refuses to club race there. Anyone who says otherwise has never spoken to him about it.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
It's a bunch of condos these days. Photo is looking from the exit of the Wendy's across the street.
Hmmmm....more money in condos than an rc track huh? Genious😉
Old 03-13-2016, 10:16 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by SCRAFAN View Post
Hmmmm....more money in condos than an rc track huh? Genious😉
Getting done at 4pm was pretty good, huh?

It was a joke that Scotty kept having to call for marshals for every main.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Why is Cactus going downhill? It comes down to one major factor, the owner of SRS. There's many sub-factors, but almost all of them come down to the owner and his choices.

-Charge for Spectators. Even though, they ended up rescinding this decision, people were rubbed the wrong way after that and the sour taste was already starting.

-Charge for outside food. They have food on premises and it's typical overpriced concession stand food that you'd find at any type of recreational facility, but not allowing outside food in the way that is typical of the RC industry and just dropping that onto participants last minute really upset a lot of people. Like the spectator fee, it was rescinded amid a huge negative outcry, but the damage was done and once again, rubbed people the wrong way.

-Surface, last year there was a lot of complaints about the surface being extremely inconsistent, especially during qualifying. People were pissed because they had to water between heats of the same class, so run 4 heats of mod buggy, then water and run 2 more. That screws up the consistency for everyone, 2 heats of over watered slippery track, then 2 heats of perfect traction, then 2 heats where the track went away on the drivers and the best fast laps were only good enough for mid pack in the good heats. Things like that really upset people. A good misting may be the answer, assuming it's a no-cost spared, done right system. The one at OCRC is so tremendous, that regardless of traction level, it stays pretty much the same all race long, which allows you to adapt to the track and tune for it.

-From Outdoors to Indoors. This one they had less control over. So for those who held onto the nostalgia of the Cactus being outdoors, it was hard for them to let go. But, it is what it is, I suppose they could have found an outdoor venue to host the event just for the week of the race, but it made sense to move it indoors to the new location.

Let's face it, the RC community has a very good memory and is filled with a lot of people that can sometimes be socially awkward, or sensitive which is often why they are so good at racing. But it's also a close knit community that doesn't forget how they were treated and often holds grudges. I've seen this close down not only races, but this type of behavior has closed down tracks. Sometimes owners need to get their heads out of the sand and realize, they may be writing their own death certificate. In SoCal, we're very lucky to have a few amazing tracks and in my opinion, OCRC is the Gold Standard, not just the facility, it is good, actually VERY good. But there are many great facilities in the country, it's also how the business is run as a whole and how they treat everyone from regular club racers, Saturday Practice pros, to World Champions down to the first timers who are renting Slash 2wd's to run on their "Try me" track.

If Cactus is going to survive, the owner of SRS, really needs to re-evaluate things or maybe sell the rights to the race to someone like Joey and let Joey run it out of Fear Farm and change the dates so it's not so close to the DNC. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't know what the answer is. Because there's been so much damage done, but it is still a prestigious race that holds a special place in many people's hearts.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:21 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911 View Post
-Charge for outside food. They have food on premises and it's typical overpriced concession stand food that you'd find at any type of recreational facility, but not allowing outside food in the way that is typical of the RC industry and just dropping that onto participants last minute really upset a lot of people. Like the spectator fee, it was rescinded amid a huge negative outcry, but the damage was done and once again, rubbed people the wrong way.

-Surface, last year there was a lot of complaints about the surface being extremely inconsistent, especially during qualifying. People were pissed because they had to water between heats of the same class, so run 4 heats of mod buggy, then water and run 2 more. That screws up the consistency for everyone, 2 heats of over watered slippery track, then 2 heats of perfect traction, then 2 heats where the track went away on the drivers and the best fast laps were only good enough for mid pack in the good heats. Things like that really upset people. A good misting may be the answer, assuming it's a no-cost spared, done right system. The one at OCRC is so tremendous, that regardless of traction level, it stays pretty much the same all race long, which allows you to adapt to the track and tune for it.

I'm precoffee, so bear with me.

The food fee is still there. It's horribly vague, and it's horribly enforced. If I bring an apple from home, is that considered outside food? Technically, yes. If I grab popeyes chicken from across the street, it's funny because regardless of entries for Cactus, I have time to just eat there. What management didn't realize is people would just find ways around it. Fee is still in place.

The misters are nice, however ownership was told because of the hard AZ is that he'll need a water softener. Guess what corner he cut? Now they're clogged and leaking, so they weren't used at cactus.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:30 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket View Post
I'm precoffee, so bear with me.

The food fee is still there. It's horribly vague, and it's horribly enforced. If I bring an apple from home, is that considered outside food? Technically, yes. If I grab popeyes chicken from across the street, it's funny because regardless of entries for Cactus, I have time to just eat there. What management didn't realize is people would just find ways around it. Fee is still in place.

The misters are nice, however ownership was told because of the hard AZ is that he'll need a water softener. Guess what corner he cut? Now they're clogged and leaking, so they weren't used at cactus.
No one pays the food fee. I have not seen that happen in the last year. maybe they charge the go cart crowd. Joe was using a backpack mister and I most say, that did an awesome job watering. And Joe got lots of exercise. The surface has not been stupid grippy on this layout. I has been actually very good grip. Unsure what changed on the build or watering, but the traction has been about perfect, imo. That being said, the turn out was not very good. But watching BK battle it out with cav and maifield in SC was a blast.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
No one pays the food fee. I have not seen that happen in the last year. maybe they charge the go cart crowd. Joe was using a backpack mister and I most say, that did an awesome job watering. And Joe got lots of exercise. The surface has not been stupid grippy on this layout. I has been actually very good grip. Unsure what changed on the build or watering, but the traction has been about perfect, imo. That being said, the turn out was not very good. But watching BK battle it out with cav and maifield in SC was a blast.
Congrats on a podium finish in 17.5. Also saw your daughter did very well for her second time out, where did she finally qual? Last I saw was upper to mid pack.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mudcat981 View Post
Congrats on a podium finish in 17.5. Also saw your daughter did very well for her second time out, where did she finally qual? Last I saw was upper to mid pack.
Wildcat didn't race the cactus....
Old 03-14-2016, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Typical Adam shenanigans, Cactus will live on... somehow

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.