Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
8th scale buggy noob ? >

8th scale buggy noob ?

8th scale buggy noob ?

Old 02-28-2016, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default 8th scale buggy noob ?

I'm venturing into 8th scale buggy with a mugen mbx7 eco and recently got a Hobbywing sct pro esc and a HW 2250kv motor both used for cheap cheap. My question is whether I should run this setup with a 4s battery or a 3s. I run on a 120x90 outdoor loose to mid traction track. Thanks in advance
Old 02-28-2016, 07:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by joel45acp View Post
I'm venturing into 8th scale buggy with a mugen mbx7 eco and recently got a Hobbywing sct pro esc and a HW 2250kv motor both used for cheap cheap. My question is whether I should run this setup with a 4s battery or a 3s. I run on a 120x90 outdoor loose to mid traction track. Thanks in advance
Always use a 4s because that's what everyone else uses and if you don't you will be lapped over and over.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC Matt View Post
Always use a 4s because that's what everyone else uses and if you don't you will be lapped over and over.
2250 is a lot of motor for 1/8th scale. I would look at a smaller motor. Most guys race on a 1900. Check out SMC's 1/8th motor. It is basically a copy of the tekin for $70.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:40 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 268 (100%+)

I would say confirm your gearing range on your vehicle with that motor.

By that I mean, what is the smallest pinion you can use. Use a speed calculator, and estimate the range of theoretical speeds you can have at the smallest pinion size that will work. In general, I target my vehicles for 35 to 40mph when I have no information to go off of.

If you know people at the track who can tell you what motor, voltage, and gearing they are using, you can get an estimate of where you need to be.

From there, I usually gear to top out towards the end of the longest straight, within reason.

Finally, don't be scared to put some punch control / limiting in. That can make your experience much better. Right now, I may try a 1/8 truggy sized motor and battery on my buggy as after seeingt someone else doing it and liked the feel, I may give it a try.