Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
MBX7R ECO or 8ight-e 4.0? >

MBX7R ECO or 8ight-e 4.0?

MBX7R ECO or 8ight-e 4.0?

Old 02-26-2016, 02:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Default MBX7R ECO or 8ight-e 4.0?

So I'm sure I might get killed for posting this....as it's my first post and no idea how the RC community feels about these "Vs" threads....but I have no idea what to buy.

Brand new to RC. Looking to do some 1/8 buggy racing...and was wondering if one has any more advantages to the other. They both seem like great kits. Zero hobby shops within over an hour drive for me....so really, the internet is my only resource. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, fellas.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I started with a Mugen myself, very good cars right out of the box so you can have a blast racing and confident that the setup is close. I didnt change a thing setup wise my whole first season with one and loved it. Plus they can take a beating. Now mind you Im not some mugen fanboy. I am running the 4.0 this year just for the fact that a few of my friends are and makes parts and setup exchange easier. But I followed the Mugen for beginner advise and wouldn't do it different.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:53 PM
Tech Adept

You should also consider the Tekno EB48.3 because it is a very good buggy with tons of tuning options and it is very durable. It is probably one of the most durable buggies if not the most durable buggy out there so when your starting out you don't have to worry about getting a bunch of spares because it will most likely not break when you crash. The tekno I have currently is my first rc and I have done a ton of research on it and I'm very satisfied with it. When I bought my tekno I was deciding between the tekno and the mugen. I bought the tekno because it is very durable (I'm not saying the mugen isn't) and it responds to tuning better because of its slim body (according to my research). Well good luck finding a buggy and I hope you find one that you will like and that you will like for as long as you would like to keep it.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:23 PM
Tech Regular

I had the mugen and switched to the tekno. Best decision I made. Tekno is a way better buggy. Much easier to drive and steering is much more responsive.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Awesome input.....thank you, fellas! I will def give the Tekno a look. Never heard of it. I really only mentioned the Losi and the Mugen because from reading through tons of threads on here....they seem to be mentioned quite a bit. Will def look into the Tekno. Thanks for that.

Motors, ESC's, Servos, batteries.....any way I should steer to when looking for those?
Old 02-27-2016, 08:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Options

What's your budget? Entry motor/ESC is $170; steering servo can be $40 to $150. High end ESC/Motor $290. Buy once, cry once.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by individual1 View Post
What's your budget? Entry motor/ESC is $170; steering servo can be $40 to $150. High end ESC/Motor $290. Buy once, cry once.
There really isn't a budget. I'd rather just buy whatever I'm gonna end up buying if I bought something I didn't like. It seems like Tiken is pretty well received on here. Any suggestions? Thanks for the post!
Old 02-27-2016, 08:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tekin 1900kv combo and a Brushless Car servo with more than 250oz torque; Futaba, Hitec or Savox are options.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

I started with Losi a few years ago and Ive had a few other cars along the way... to me Losi just has the best over all package: the car, part support etc. I went that way because that's what some of the local guys ran. Always liked watching Drakes how to vids when he was with Losi too.

All of them are good: Mugen, tekno, Losi.. Kyosho is another big one in 1:8 I would look at too. Best thing would be to talk to guys at your local track.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Tekno is really not the easiest car to drive, but is definitely a good handling car, had a losi 3.0 not the 4.0 but id say cant go wrong with the losi, much easier to drive than tekno and really just a good car..had a 7eco not the r but thought this was the easiest to drive of the three, very stable car....
Old 02-27-2016, 08:56 AM
Tech Initiate

All awesome input...thanks a ton guys.

Any servo with good torque will fit? Are they all generally the same size? I've little just been to sites like amain and rcplanet and clicked on "best sellers" to try and find out what has the most/best reviews.

A couple of things:
Some kits seem like they need a pinion gear. Which one?
Also, batteries....4s something around 5000mah 50 or so C?
Any recommendations for a charger?

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 02-27-2016, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rosko View Post
Tekno is really not the easiest car to drive, but is definitely a good handling car, had a losi 3.0 not the 4.0 but id say cant go wrong with the losi, much easier to drive than tekno and really just a good car..had a 7eco not the r but thought this was the easiest to drive of the three, very stable car....
I would have to disagree. The guys in my area that ran losi have all switched to tekno because it is easier to drive. For motors and batteries give smc-racing.net a look. They batteries are awesome. The smc motor is gaining alot of respect. It runs a little warm but can handle it.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 4s losi View Post
I would have to disagree. The guys in my area that ran losi have all switched to tekno because it is easier to drive. For motors and batteries give smc-racing.net a look. They batteries are awesome. The smc motor is gaining alot of respect. It runs a little warm but can handle it.
Does anyone carry the SMC batteries....because it looks like they don't stock much in the line of 4s. Seems like they have a lot on back order. That price is pretty awesome though!
Old 02-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Long time Losi driver here that decided to try Mugen after a year off from 1/8th scale. After 3 days has to go back to my old 8ight-e 3.0 last night. With that said plenty of people do well with the Mugen.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by kcobra View Post
Long time Losi driver here that decided to try Mugen after a year off from 1/8th scale. After 3 days has to go back to my old 8ight-e 3.0 last night. With that said plenty of people do well with the Mugen.
Yeah, and I noticed the 3.0's are crazy cheap right now. On sale at most places for about $380. Might not be a bad route for me to go either. Thanks for the input!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.