Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2 wd or 4 wd buggy >

2 wd or 4 wd buggy

2 wd or 4 wd buggy

Old 02-26-2016, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Volition View Post
If you want to become a better driver 2wd is the go. You have to learn how to use less traction. It's cheaper too, less tyre wear.

More rewarding for me. Though stock can become expensive to ensure you have a decent motor. I'm not at the front but I also want to know I have the same grunt as the fast guys. I use a schuurspeed v3 which is just as fast as everyone else (down the straights at least) My Tekin redline gen3 is great in my 4wd stock as well. There are other popular fast motors too. Trinity, team powers, etc...

Importantly, think about the car you will love to drive. Make sure whatever you choose keeps calling you back for more.
Well said!!!
Old 02-26-2016, 10:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jigsaw49 View Post
Im gonna get the 2 wd unless i get a great deal on a 4 wd buggy roller... Like less than $150.
I have a very tight buget. And being a kid it is hard to earn money.
I don't know how old you are or what your town is like but after each snow storm when I was 15 I would make easily 300 in cash. I would walk around and help people dig out their cars. I would knock on doors and shovel their walkways/driveways.

During the summer ask neighbors what they need. Maybe a pool being cleaned, lawn work, moving stuff, etc.

You seem like a bright guy, just get after it. Heck, even see if your local lhs needs a hand on anything for a discount on the buggy you want. For a person willing to help out it never hurts to ask.

Good luck with whichever you choose, you have it narrowed down to some good choices. I would also check out the B44 as it appears they are going to be discounting them, happens when a new model is about to drop. Also once the new model does drop you will see plenty of last year's for sale for a great price.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:43 AM
Tech Adept

you will spend 2x more money racing 1/10 4x4 buggy then 1/10 2wd buggy!

I race everything from 1/10 2wd buggy to 1/8 truggy and buggy.
I even race 1/10 4x4 buggy my ride is a hb d413 (great Buggy).
my favorite class since 1986 is 2wd 1/10 buggy. like volition said it's more rewarding
for me too. when your buggy is hooked up on the track, it feels like a bird gliding through the air.

Never much hacking in 2wd buggy either, Plus it will improve your drive too.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

I don't think it's as easy to make money as a kid these days. Times have changed a little. Communities are just not as communal anymore.

When I was young I had a newspaper route at 6am Monday to Saturday, and I was a golf caddy on Sunday. Both jobs no longer exist, the papers are done by a guy in a car. The golf course now rents out golf carts.

I've found people also tend to be more wary about odd jobbers then they used too. In saying that though, if you can write HTML5 or make phone apps you could make a fortune. Hah.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:28 AM
Tech Initiate

I think i will get a 2 wd buggy. Not a big associated fan so i think i will get a 22 2.0 3.0 or a hotbodies d 216
Old 02-26-2016, 12:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Volition View Post
I don't think it's as easy to make money as a kid these days. Times have changed a little. Communities are just not as communal anymore.

When I was young I had a newspaper route at 6am Monday to Saturday, and I was a golf caddy on Sunday. Both jobs no longer exist, the papers are done by a guy in a car. The golf course now rents out golf carts.

I've found people also tend to be more wary about odd jobbers then they used too. In saying that though, if you can write HTML5 or make phone apps you could make a fortune. Hah.
You are 100% correct!
Old 02-26-2016, 12:34 PM
Tech Adept

Let me give you a little advice that a friend gave me when I was your age....

Be patient, we end up with all the toys we want in life, you just have to be patient.

Assuming you are a smart kid, which you seem to be. Stay in school, work hard and you will be rewarded for it. There will come a time in your life when you have all the money you need for toys. Unfortunately you may not have the time to play with them, but that's another story

PS- One more thing...I would kill to be a kid again! No bills, no responsibilities, nobody really angry with you. Enjoy it while you can! Get hooked up with a group at your local club. It is amazing how much knowledge people are willing to share in the RC hobby. I will get you on the right path...it did for me!
Old 02-26-2016, 01:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by avaldes View Post
Let me give you a little advice that a friend gave me when I was your age....

Be patient, we end up with all the toys we want in life, you just have to be patient.

Assuming you are a smart kid, which you seem to be. Stay in school, work hard and you will be rewarded for it. There will come a time in your life when you have all the money you need for toys. Unfortunately you may not have the time to play with them, but that's another story

PS- One more thing...I would kill to be a kid again! No bills, no responsibilities, nobody really angry with you. Enjoy it while you can! Get hooked up with a group at your local club. It is amazing how much knowledge people are willing to share in the RC hobby. I will get you on the right path...it did for me!

Haha isn't it funny that at a young age you never listen to anyone then when you're older you wish you did. You end up saying the same thing to others hoping they listen but they never do.

I would give anything to be that age again!

Haha we've gotten way far off the topic.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:22 PM
Tech Initiate

I go to the track every Saturday and practice with my slash 2 wd that I've thrown at least a grand into and it now handles pretty well. My parents kinda think it will be a money pit like the slash was however my dad loves to watch the little buggies zip around the track. My local track is larrys rc and I an gonna see if they have and deals tomorrow when I'm there. If anyone goes there I'm the blue and orange slash.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The 22 3.0 will be significantly more expensive because it is a hot new buggy and unlikely to be available used. The 22 2.0 will need a few upgrades out of the box (such as bell crank steering)... but find a used one and it should already have what you need.

I'd say go 2wd: less expensive, less to break, and lower speeds and weight means you are less likely to break something in a big impact.

If you can set your sights on a 22 3.0, save up and do it. Setup is money right out of the box. But you will save a lot by going with a used 2.0, especially if you can get one including motor, servo, and ESC. A used B5m could also be a good first buggy... there's a 6 year old tearing it up at our local track in a B5m. Only took him 4 months to advance out of novice and he even got a podium last week!
Old 02-26-2016, 08:53 PM
Tech Initiate

A. If I get a new buggy I will have come across some sort of way to earn money through my landscaping biz.
B. I will probably get a losi 22 2.0 roller and add electronics there's s few in craigslist around me.
C. I don't have loads of money to spend as I have to start saving for flight school so my speedo will be a castle mamba max pro and my motor will be a reedy. I will prolly get a spc racing shorty as my battery.
My goal is to make this car under 500$

P.s. I already have a receiver and a good radio.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:56 PM
Tech Adept

That's a good choice, from what I have read they are good out of the box.

I am a little biased but I would say the B5M.

Have fun at the track. I built the crap out of my Stampede which was what I first got when I got back into the hobbie. I love having a basher, I enjoy that as much as I enjoy the track.

What state is Larrys RC in?
Old 02-27-2016, 04:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Michigan. They have a super high grip rubber surface. On buggies they run custom works foam tires st is rear losi sliders all the way around and sct is suburbs or some sort of bar blue grove tire.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Good luck Jigsaw, I wish you lived near me. All the kids in my neighborhood are spoiled and don't understand the value of a dollar. Work hard and stay in school success comes to who has the ambition to apply them selves. My best friend is a pilot. He went to Western in k-zoo. He decided to go work fo a private airline and has had great success. The only thing that sucks is he works two weeks on and two weeks off. I don't see him much anymore. It's a hard job to get into, you need to start at the bottom and make good choices or you will start at the bottom again. I just started to race here in Michigan. I have been liking 2wd 1/10 buggies over my 1/8 and SCT. They handle well and bring a smile to my face every time I use it.

Last edited by Geeves; 02-27-2016 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Is 375 a fair price for this?
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/5430291356.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.