R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   What to buy...$450 budget (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/913056-what-buy-%24450-budget.html)

Geene519 02-18-2016 04:12 PM

What to buy...$450 budget

Hi everyone, I'm in need of some help. I have a $450 budget for right now (upgrades down the road are expected), would like to get either a 1/10 buggy or stadium truck. I'd like to start off with a RTR but If I can build one for around the price I have right now that would be ideal. I need suggestions, been out of racing for roughly 15 years, last truck that i raced with was a XXT-CR. I'm going to race it I'd say about 20% of the time the rest will be just screwing around with. I'm biased towards Losi and Associated because thats pretty much all I've ever raced. But I"m not against going with another company. I was looking locally at a RC10T4.2rs - with a charger and 2 (2s Lipo) batteries it was roughly $400. What do you guys think about that?

Thanks for any assistance.

PS, I did not see a thread posted similar to mine, so if i missed it, my apologies.

rekim 02-18-2016 04:47 PM

i am not sure how you would feel about second hand, but the stuff can be had very cheaply that way. like 50% off cheap. that will seriously expand your choices, but of course buyer beware

in my opinion rtr is a double edge sword. it gets you going right away, but the electronics and sometimes the other bits is not as good as the kits version of it.

that being said, i had a t4.1 factory team years back and it was terrific. the RS stuff from AE is pretty good, but you will be getting a slow/weaker servo and the motor and esc is nothing to write home about. Many people, myself included has bought RTR stuff and slowly upgraded it to better electronics, which ends up costing more in the end.

if you are not a tinkerer or dont enjoy messing around with the building of the truck or trying to improve it, the RTR might be right for you

Geene519 02-18-2016 05:37 PM

I don't really like the idea of buying someone else's car, I like having new stuff. I enjoy messing around and tinkering with cars, so thats not an issue. My issue is budget right now, i could push it to 500-525, but not more for now.

I'm also tempted at the Short course trucks, they are interesting, any recommendations on those?

rekim 02-18-2016 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Geene519 (Post 14397801)
I don't really like the idea of buying someone else's car, I like having new stuff. I enjoy messing around and tinkering with cars, so thats not an issue. My issue is budget right now, i could push it to 500-525, but not more for now.

I'm also tempted at the Short course trucks, they are interesting, any recommendations on those?

if you like short course, i will personally recommend the losi 22SCT RTC. it comes with everything except battery and charger, but its really terrific. the electronics are much better than most RTR. its a few years old, so it might be hard to find.

also, the associated sc10 is also terrific. it was my first real rc since i was a little kid back in the day of the tamiya madcap in the 80's. I havent used the RTR, but i would guess its the same as the other RTR electronics, but they are fairly inexpensive for a good kit.

just my opinion though

Nitroflash_2 02-18-2016 05:50 PM

If you want a losi truck get their xxx-sct. It is $350 and is a good match for what you want. A few of my friends got these to start with, and they love them. They are fun to bash but can be pretty competitive on the club level. You can get a better battery and charger with the rest of your budget. Just my 2 cents

likea45 02-18-2016 10:39 PM

You could snag an AE B5M Lite for $279, a hobbywing just stock for $50, a savox servo for $50 and your choice of motor and be under your budget and all new. Radio and receivers can be pricey so I wouldn't cheap out there but used ones can be found and awesome deals are out there.

mhughesjr 02-19-2016 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Geene519 (Post 14397801)

If you are on a budget I would definitely go use vs. new. You can get more bang for your buck, and in most case you will get a car with spare parts and hop-ups. Getting a RTR is just a waste of money. Yes it will get you on the track a lot quicker, but you will find yourself spending more in the long run. Go check out the fore sale section on here. There are new deals popping up every day. Here is a nice loaded B5M CE that just came on. http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/912362-team-ae-b5m-mod-car-fs-artr.html

crusty 02-19-2016 03:14 AM

definetly go used. you will save so much money and get alot better setup for the price. just get someone to help with your selection that knows what to look for. if buying on the net ask for as many pics and info as you can get

JRSlash 02-19-2016 06:49 AM

Ill have to agree that if you are on a budget, buying used is the way to go. Either ARTR or RTR kit. There is always used top brand electronics at great deals online too. But IMO a B5M or a T5M will be a good starting point. Good Luck.

QDRHRSE 02-19-2016 07:13 AM

Buying an RTR is a waste of 100% of your money. The electronics are throw away and the kit itself will generally have the cheapest parts the manufacturer sells....like plastic shocks. If used doesn't work for you save a little longer. It'll cost you way more in the long run if you don't.

Bforwarned 02-19-2016 07:16 AM

RTR

For the money the Ready-Set kits from Kyosho are a good value also. You would have to run novice class but could always upgrade down the road. Orion electronics included.

rekim 02-19-2016 08:04 AM

Maybe if you don't like the idea of used car or truck. Why not buy new truck with used electronic. You can get radio from hobbypartz for like 30 dollars and it's a pretty nice radio. You can get a good used motor for 30 to 50 dollars shipped and a pretty good esc for 50 to 100. A good used servo for 40 to 60. You could get new b5m and used parts and be close on budget with good stuff. Just look closely at used pictures and ask questions about quality

juicy74 02-19-2016 08:23 AM

Those TLR 22 2.0s are going for really good prices and some of them are pretty well decked out. I'd seriously considered going used. Since you like tinkering with cars, strip the entire car down, download the instructions manual and rebuild again. If you so decide to race more, i think you'd be pretty frustrated with an RTR and would end up spending more. Better equipment tend to make the experience more enjoyable and a better chance of staying in the hobby. If you decide to quit, a regular kit would be easier to sell than an RTR, i would reckon. Just my opinion.
I have learnt to spend on the best stuff i can afford and more often than not, i end up buying once.

HoldDaMayo 02-19-2016 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by likea45 (Post 14398223)
You could snag an AE B5M Lite for $279, a hobbyking just stock for $50, a savox servo for $50 and your choice of motor and be under your budget and all new. Radio and receivers can be pricey so I wouldn't cheap out there but used ones can be found and awesome deals are out there.

This is the best suggestion I've seen. Pick up a B5m lite, it's one of the best RC's I've ever owned... It's tough, top tier fast, and reasonably priced for a kit with some titanium upgrades in the box! ;)

draboyd19 02-19-2016 08:40 AM

Yeah, agree with many others - don't ignore the used route, as there are so many great users on rctech that would get you a good deal.....almost all the used ones have upgrades already on them (and/or) spares. Just look at the trader ratings of the seller if have concerns. I've always bought used, and stripe it down and rebuild them - double the fun and sometimes you uncover some hidden hops (bearings, etc.)

I'm a 2WD buggy and truck guy, and honestly can say I think you'll have more fun with a buggy (bodies last longer as well, just have to change wings)....below are some recommendations to try and help:

Used: B5M or Losi 22 2.0.
New: B5M Lite is a good deal (Losi 22 3.0 is more expensive, but nice as well).
ESC: It is really hard to beat the Hobbywing Justock ESC for the price new ($50).
Servo: I've had a lot of success with a Savox 1257, and I've heard the Solar ones are good as well for the price.
Motor: Trackstar marks a nice piece on the lower price end, and these pair well with a Justock ESC. Team Scream racing, among others make some nice ones on the higher end.
Radio Stuff: Best to get a nice piece, but the Futaba 3PL is a quality one, and you can grab one for $50 used these day with a receiver.
Tires: If you are indoors, It's hard not to like a Gold set of JConcepts Dirt Webs. They just seem good everywhere indoors right now.
Batteries: Again, tons of options....I've had alot of success with the Turnigy Nano Tech or Ultimate Nano Techs shorty packs....$35 a piece.

I hope helps a little. Again, don't ignore used, but if you want to go new that is up to you. Take this in any direction you want - lots of good products out there. Everything I listed is just my experiences, so take it for what it is worth.