Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
associated pro rally/ prosc 4x4/ prolite truggy conversion series >

associated pro rally/ prosc 4x4/ prolite truggy conversion series

associated pro rally/ prosc 4x4/ prolite truggy conversion series

Old 02-14-2016, 03:03 PM
Tech Adept

Default associated pro rally/ prosc 4x4/ prolite truggy conversion series

Hello all, in this series im going to be converting a team associated "1/10" pro rally into the 1/10 truggy team associated could have had. This conversion can also be done to a prolite 4x4 to do this I'm going to be altering the vehicle to have similar dimensions to the long gone ofna hyper 10tt (RIP beloved 10tt we miss you so). I picked this car because the width is almost there with with high positive offset wheels , dogbone style center drive shaft, chassis simplicity

this will pretty much entail
- shorter chassis (scratch build)
- shorter top plate (scratch build)
- 2.2 stadium truck wheels/tires
- bumpers
- wing and mount
- shorter drive shaft
- shock towers (scratch build)
- 10tt body
- body mounts
- chassis layout
- new powerplant
- new shocks

I'm going to update this thread weekly or possibly every few days with what I'm doing along with pictures.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:25 PM
Tech Adept

Default the roller

bought this team associated pro rally roller from dollar hobbies for about $170 brand new. took off the bumpers, top plate and drive shaft just to get a better idea what im working with. dollar hobbyz was very good. sent me a nice truck with manual and all the bits the car normally comes with with the exception of wheels, tires, electronics, body. one thing i am upset about is the lack of stickers. if your reading this dh WHERE ARE MY f***ing STICKERS!!!!!!!

i chose this kit because its very light. i had once converted an hpi bullet to a truggy before but it was just too heavy for running 2s but too fragile for 3s. sorry if your a fan of the bullet. i would be myself if it wernt for the awful plastic and steel. hopefully ae has their stuff together a bit more than hpi
Old 02-14-2016, 03:28 PM
Tech Adept

my hpi bullet truggy conversion can be seen here http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...on-series.html
Old 02-14-2016, 03:40 PM
Tech Adept

Default mold and material

here is the mold i am making for the chassis. im going with molding my own material instead of buying a plate because i would like to include the kickup angle in the front of the truck as well as bending the sides upward for additional strength and skid ability.

i would also like suggestions on material choice if you have experience with making either a carbon fiber or fiberglass chassis. i am deciding between the holy trinity right now and cant make up my mind as to try fiberglass, just carbon fiber or use a carbon fiber kevlar composite.

the mold is just going to be made of some sheet metal i cut from a sign i stole er um.. i mean acquired. the type of aluminum is very easy to cut and rigid enough for a form while being somewhat formable
Old 02-15-2016, 07:25 AM
Tech Adept

Default body is in

really tempted to paint this the same way as i did my last one (my thumbnail)

also want to say that if i get a few people to follow this ill post high quality images
Old 02-15-2016, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

ill be auctioning the unused parts at the end of this build so if you want some spares followers get priority. ill have shocks, towers, chassis, bumper, splitter, sc wheels, top plate, battery strap and whatever else im missing
Old 02-15-2016, 07:25 PM
Tech Adept

Default body

someone needs to be making o mold of this body. you can pretty much only get them from asia for like 35 way too many fricken dollars
Old 02-16-2016, 12:16 PM
Tech Adept

Default sparrowhawk

when all said and done this should be pretty much be a better looking and preforming thunder tiger sparrowhawk xt or xxt but you cant find parts for them anymore too easily.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I haven't made a chassis but have used carbon and fiber glass. You could make a sandwich with carbon fiber outside and a layer, or layers, of regular fiber glass inside. Saves a little money on material.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 7echo View Post
I haven't made a chassis but have used carbon and fiber glass. You could make a sandwich with carbon fiber outside and a layer, or layers, of regular fiber glass inside. Saves a little money on material.
the problem with doing this is that fiberglass and carbon fiber both have very different modules of elasticity. sandwiching these layers will cause all of the load to be transferred to the stiffer carbon fiber only making for a part weaker than a pure cf part or pure fiberglass part

kevlar on the other hand does not differ too much from cf in terms of elasticity but is about just as expensive. ill be making the shock towers out of a kevlar carbon fiber sandwich
Old 02-17-2016, 04:56 PM
Tech Adept

here are a few good comparison studies of carbon fiber, kevlar, fiberglass and composites
- http://www.christinedemerchant.com/c...omparison.html
- http://sem-proceedings.com/04s/sem.o...r-Sandwich.pdf
- https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._using_LS-DYNA
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khJQgRLKMU0
Old 02-18-2016, 02:03 PM
Tech Adept

Default Mold designs

I'll be splitting up the chassis construction into 3 layers in order to create some of the cutouts in the existing chassis without having to mill it down. This is a quick sketch. What is shaded will be cutout
Old 02-18-2016, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Do any of the Sparrowhawk parts have AE Prolite/Rally equivalents? (I guess very few, or you wouldn't have started this project?)

I also wish there were a modern off-the-shelf 1/10th truggy like the old TT. I Stadium'ized a 4wd ECX Ruckus but it also turned out to be a heavy beast. Next I did look at the Sparrowhawk, but never pulled the trigger.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!
Old 02-19-2016, 04:34 PM
Tech Adept

Yesterday 10:21 PM
PetRock Do any of the Sparrowhawk parts have AE Prolite/Rally equivalents? (I guess very few, or you wouldn't have started this project?)
Actually pet rock there are many similarities in parts it's just that the ones that make it a sparrowhawk and not an associated are very hard to find that's why I'll have to make the major components. This is also just a proof of concept showing how almost any sct can be made into a truggy. I would have done this with any other short course but this one was an inexpensive option that I could easily buy cheap parts for. The other factor for my decision was the lightness of this kit.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

Default new drive shaft

going with a stampede 4x4 tekno drive shaft. this is going to be lipstick on a pig. i went with this shaft because it is about 157mm pin to pin and is one of the few shafts i found that would put me in the ball park for an 11in wheelbase. didnt go with a stock stampede shaft because my chassis may flex more than a stampedes and i didnt want to deal with binding issues with the splined shaft. my other option was 2 scx10 shafts but i would have had to make them very short and the decrease in surface area may have lead to stripping.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.