Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Track Investment , you or them ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Track Investment , you or them ?

How many of your tracks re invest back into the track itself as far as resources , time , money , etc ?

How many of the tracks expect the racers to do it ?

Have you seen successful examples of both or either ?
Old 02-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I can only speak for the one I belong to. We do invest all monies back into the track for upkeep, layout changes, electronics upgrades, driver stand, electrical out to the pit areas etc. This year the majority of money will be spent on installing lights for night races and those that start in the mornings and go well into the evening. Club members are asked to support upkeep and track rebuilds as needed which only encompasses a few weekends out of the year and we get many that are not club members but still race with us that come out and show support as well. We have a club officers as well that take care of the yearly business and make most club decisions. Many decisions are opened up to the club members to assist in deciding. Suggestions are always welcome and incorporated when they can be. With any tracks there are Ebb and Flows, some years are better than others and the interest in RC's drop off in some years more than others. We do always try to keep a min amount of funds available in case emergencies arise so that our racing schedule is not impacted. Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is your track associated with a Hobby shop business , or run by a rc club ?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Our local track is a dirt oval and is ran by a club, of which they vote for a prez and vice prez and book keeper every 3 years. they charge a 10$ a year membership fee and all race fees go 100% to the track upkeep, rent, and insurance. They have standing club, and class rules which the members vote on yearly to change, or add if needed. Only thing the club members are ask to do is show up on a few scheduled work days in the spring and fall for track/facility repairs and upgrades. The monies the club raises along with special race sponsorship also goes towards plaques and trophies.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wittyname
How many of your tracks re invest back into the track itself as far as resources , time , money , etc ?

How many of the tracks expect the racers to do it ?

Have you seen successful examples of both or either ?
You can not beat a club track for reinvestment.

However, OCRC and SDRC show you can run a for-profit track and keep things positive and growing.

SRS shows us the ugly side of for profit tracks.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Our track is in a state park in St. Charles parish (not privately owned). It has been in existence since the mid 90's, originally as a 1/10th scale track. Hurricane Katrina wiped it out, but was rebuilt by racers/club members.

I have been in this sport since 1988, racing at this track back then and am now the president of our club (SCR) at this same track (now a 1/8th scale track).

This is the longest lived track that I know about. Over the years, I've raced at many privately owned tracks in addition to this public track. NONE of those privately owned tracks that I've raced at exist today. Most survived 2 to 3 years max. Either the owners lost interest and closed or the income wasn't sufficient to keep the doors open.

St. Charles Parish provides us with light and water at no cost. They recently budgeted in money to rebuild our driver's stand. Aside from that, we have a club membership drive every year to generate funds in addition to the weekly club race fees. We use this money to buy dirt, computer needs, track tools and anything else needed above what the parish provides.

Another indoor track that I race at is FRC in Flowood, Mississippi. A unique situation there. A federally funded project was put in place to put in a new highway. Buildings that were in the way were slated for demolition. The highway project stalled after the city of Flowood purchased a building that was to be torn down. The track director (now) was in the right place at the right time for this place, getting the building to build a premier indoor race track. It's been open for 6 years now and still going strong. Wish it were closer (2 1/2 drive).
Old 02-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The property is owned by a hobby shop, but the track itself is the responsibility of the members and the club. The hobby shop owner really cares less if the track exists or not. He does very little for it.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

We run like a non-profit and spend every entry dollar on the track. Generally we change layouts every 2 months. Since our entry fees are low racing needs to be pretty good to make things happen but we manage. We invest in equipment, dirt, sugar, pipe, system upgrades etc etc. People donate mostly time but occasionally money & equipment too.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Trackside in Milwaukee and Clark RC Park in Reeseville, WI. Both places stick money into their respective facilities and it makes for a really enjoyable place to be.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

If the track is part of the hobby shop, it SHOULD be the shop. They are their to make money to put food on the tables for their kids. If they don't care, the shop folds. They should be in every aspect of the track and racing. Track brings racers, racers bring money, money brings food, kids are fed. Lather, rinse, repeat. Its simple economics and should be at the basis of their business.

But it is always a bonus when people put in time and donate their money to help with upkeep.

Now with that being said, you have to very careful. If one of 2 or a handful of people donate, you as a track owner/ operator should do 1 of 3 things....

1. Comp them for their time and money. Now this may mean a few bucks off parts here and there but that's it. If it becomes an every time thing, they are no longer a volunteer, they are "sponsored." And both parties should be aware and agree. Yeah it sounds a little weird or shady or what ever you want to call it, but you are paying them for their time and energy.

2. You come to the understanding before anything is done, that it is those people "donating their time and money" and that's all it is. A donation. But make sure the owner show them appreciation and says thank you. To some, that is all they are asking for.

3. You hire them. Almost like the 1st option, but this a "contract" style arraignment. They do the work, you pay them. If they say "I'll do it for a kit" then you get your work out of them for the cost of a kit. Race the year for free, $500, what ever. You hire, they work, you pay. Done. This one is tricky for both parties and doesn't get used very often. People like Joey "The Dirt" do things like this. He is paid to design and build a track, put on the race and that's it. Contract done.

For club owned tracks, its all donations. Whether its time, money, equipment, running the race, what ever. But its a club thing. Members, fees, and some sort of leadership to keep it all flowing.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages....

For me, I just want to race a track with good people and have fun. That's what the hobby is all about for me.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A track owned by a shop should really invest some money back into the track. Most times racers volunteer alot of time to the build outs of the tracks,but the everyday maintenance should really be paid for by the race fees that the track generates. keep things clean,in shape and organized and fun and more people will come back.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cnelson3
Trackside in Milwaukee and Clark RC Park in Reeseville, WI. Both places stick money into their respective facilities and it makes for a really enjoyable place to be.
Jamie at Trackside is running a business. Clearly he realizes a certain percentage of income (profit) needs to be reinvested to stay successful.

Tim Clark seemingly runs his track as a hobby in itself, along with his wife. I would be amazed if he actually makes any money at the end of the year. He, along with a very small group of volunteers, have grown his facility to be one of the nicest outdoor 1/8 scale tracks in the mid-west (IMO).

Who needs to/should invest in their local, even semi-local, tracks? EVERYONE, both owners and and anyone who enjoys going there. Whether it's volunteering time or simply buying items at the affiliated hobby shop, at least once in awhile.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:09 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by racer1812
Who needs to/should invest in their local, even semi-local, tracks? EVERYONE, both owners and and anyone who enjoys going there. Whether it's volunteering time or simply buying items at the affiliated hobby shop, at least once in awhile.
I completely disagree.

If the track is a for-profit entity, the responsibility falls on the business to grow their product, not their attendees or patrons.

I don't go to my local circle K and stock their shelves because Ice T is not on the shelf. I go there to purchase a product; if they don't have that product, I go somewhere else.

The translation track owners fail to realize is it's not about RC track versus each other, it's hobbies versus hobbies. A few years back, a local track closed. The owner of the other track couldn't figure out why none of those racers came to his. Because instead, they quit and went on to other hobbies.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:16 AM
Suspended

Also, I made this comment on the book of faces. When a for-profit entity actively asks for volunteers to do work for them, they're also putting themselves in a few binds that could lead to a very bad situation.

#1 - you're replacing paid workers with volunteer help. Depending on the state you're in, the department of labor will be VERY interested in this business practice.

Cite: http://nycbusiness-solutions.com/pos...a#.VroeBGgrLIU

#2 - you mix heavy equipment with a bunch of volunteers at a for-profit entity, you're looking at taking on a massive liability. I throw my back out, get hurt - or worse, somehow get killed, a lawyer and the department of labor are going to take everything the business has.

I actually can't find the liability of volunteers at a "for profit" entity, because the first is illegal, and the 2nd will spell massive troubles.

Sadly, that's where this world is today.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket
I completely disagree.

If the track is a for-profit entity, the responsibility falls on the business to grow their product, not their attendees or patrons.

I don't go to my local circle K and stock their shelves because Ice T is not on the shelf. I go there to purchase a product; if they don't have that product, I go somewhere else.

The translation track owners fail to realize is it's not about RC track versus each other, it's hobbies versus hobbies. A few years back, a local track closed. The owner of the other track couldn't figure out why none of those racers came to his. Because instead, they quit and went on to other hobbies.
I get your point, I think. There are tracks (A track actually) that I will race at BUT will do everything in my power to avoid spending anything but my entry fee there. Because the owner is a money grubbing D bag. Other tracks, yes I understand they're there to make a profit and it's their job to find a way to do so. BUT I enjoy going there, I enjoy the facility, I enjoy the people. So I don't mind spending money at "typical hobby shop prices" for items I could go home and buy online and save a few bucks. There's way too many 50% drivers as it is who buy NOTHING at their LHS, if everyone that's left buys ONLY online...tracks DIE! Good tracks!

Some tracks deserve support, some don't. I get that, and agree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.