Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Track Investment , you or them ? >

Track Investment , you or them ?

Track Investment , you or them ?

Old 02-09-2016, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Also, I made this comment on the book of faces. When a for-profit entity actively asks for volunteers to do work for them, they're also putting themselves in a few binds that could lead to a very bad situation.

#1 - you're replacing paid workers with volunteer help. Depending on the state you're in, the department of labor will be VERY interested in this business practice.

Cite: http://nycbusiness-solutions.com/pos...a#.VroeBGgrLIU

#2 - you mix heavy equipment with a bunch of volunteers at a for-profit entity, you're looking at taking on a massive liability. I throw my back out, get hurt - or worse, somehow get killed, a lawyer and the department of labor are going to take everything the business has.

I actually can't find the liability of volunteers at a "for profit" entity, because the first is illegal, and the 2nd will spell massive troubles.

Sadly, that's where this world is today.
AZ is #2 behind Cali as far as red tape, politics, and BS..IMO

Accurate or not, I know you well enough to know that you try and find the negative in just about everything you post about. I'll leave it at that.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:08 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
AZ is #2 behind Cali as far as red tape, politics, and BS..IMO

Accurate or not, I know you well enough to know that you try and find the negative in just about everything you post about. I'll leave it at that.
All states have adopted the same basics when it comes to the classification of a worker. At a for profit entity, volunteering is illegal without recorded compensation that either meets or exceeds minimum wage, and it very well must be filed and accounted for.

There's still some ongoing issues with unpaid internships as well.

Welcome to the internet, everyone is an engineer and and attorney.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

All states have adopted the same basics when it comes to the classification of a worker. At a for profit entity, volunteering is illegal without recorded compensation that either meets or exceeds minimum wage, and it very well must be filed and accounted for.

There's still some ongoing issues with unpaid internships as well.

Welcome to the internet, everyone is an engineer and and attorney.
But do you ever step back from that and simply say "Hey, do you guys need a hand? I'll work a shovel for a few hours." Simply because you like to have a place to race without making sure everyone who holds a shovel is making standard union rates for the area?

FYI, I'm union and don't care.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:41 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

But do you ever step back from that and simply say "Hey, do you guys need a hand? I'll work a shovel for a few hours." Simply because you like to have a place to race without making sure everyone who holds a shovel is making standard union rates for the area?

FYI, I'm union and don't care.

Hell yes I do. The only track I step foot in in the state of AZ is a club track, and I do my best to help every moment I have. They're a non profit, so they do not assume liability like a for-profit does.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Hell yes I do. The only track I step foot in in the state of AZ is a club track, and I do my best to help every moment I have. They're a non profit, so they do not assume liability like a for-profit does.
I'm not saying you're wrong. But for some of us, helping tracks even if they're for profit, simply helps ensure that they'll still be there in the future.

Like I posted. One track, I won't do a dang thing for that clown besides pay my entry fee. My other track, I'll spend money or help out if I can. Regardless of red tape.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

I'm not saying you're wrong. But for some of us, helping tracks even if they're for profit, simply helps ensure that they'll still be there in the future.

Like I posted. One track, I won't do a dang thing for that clown besides pay my entry fee. My other track, I'll spend money or help out if I can. Regardless of red tape.
I get what you're saying...i'm the same way. But what Socket is talking about is using volunteers (or underage kids) who "may" be paid in the form of store credit or discounts. This could be for cleaning after a race day, assisting with track maintenance or running the actual races. And if you are on the "payroll" and want to frequent a different track across town....you better have a darn good reason for it.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

I hear you both. Maybe I'm lucky that all of our tracks, except one, are well liked and don't have to deal with red tape issues like this. Could there be potential legal issues with the way things are done locally, maybe. But I don't know anyone who has a lawyer on speed dial either. Except me (brothers best friend and that's for obvious personal use)

The SoCal and AZ weather really looks nice sometimes but man, you wanna have FUN..come to the mid west
Old 02-09-2016, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vwduud View Post
Our track is in a state park in St. Charles parish (not privately owned). It has been in existence since the mid 90's, originally as a 1/10th scale track. Hurricane Katrina wiped it out, but was rebuilt by racers/club members.

I have been in this sport since 1988, racing at this track back then and am now the president of our club (SCR) at this same track (now a 1/8th scale track).

This is the longest lived track that I know about. Over the years, I've raced at many privately owned tracks in addition to this public track. NONE of those privately owned tracks that I've raced at exist today. Most survived 2 to 3 years max. Either the owners lost interest and closed or the income wasn't sufficient to keep the doors open.

St. Charles Parish provides us with light and water at no cost. They recently budgeted in money to rebuild our driver's stand. Aside from that, we have a club membership drive every year to generate funds in addition to the weekly club race fees. We use this money to buy dirt, computer needs, track tools and anything else needed above what the parish provides.

Another indoor track that I race at is FRC in Flowood, Mississippi. A unique situation there. A federally funded project was put in place to put in a new highway. Buildings that were in the way were slated for demolition. The highway project stalled after the city of Flowood purchased a building that was to be torn down. The track director (now) was in the right place at the right time for this place, getting the building to build a premier indoor race track. It's been open for 6 years now and still going strong. Wish it were closer (2 1/2 drive).
I used to race 1/8-scale at St. Charles when I first moved to New Orleans in 2010. I was always so impressed with how it was kept up, and it really seems like a one-of-a-kind place as far as public support for hobbies. If I still lived in the area, I'd be there every race night.