Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New arrma talion vs. Used d8t tekno v4 >

New arrma talion vs. Used d8t tekno v4

New arrma talion vs. Used d8t tekno v4

Old 02-07-2016, 06:51 AM
Tech Adept

Default New arrma talion vs. Used d8t tekno v4

Hi,

I'm happy to get back to this hobby , habe only left my charger, ex10 helios.

Need a new car and decided the e truggy will be my weapon of choice.

I'm planning to rn this thing on track but only for fun , no harcore racing intended. Only club level.

Hope you can help me decide between these options, price is almost the same.

Lightly used d8t with tekno conversion, good servo, castle sindewinder combo.

Or

Arrma talion rtr set.

Price is alonst identical.

Hope you can help me making the decision and enjoying the hobby again.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

The Talion is a better choice: drive it RTR to begin with and if you want to make it 'racier' then you can start swapping in parts from the Durango DEX8T. (Hobbico designed that 1/8th platform to be sold in bulk as ARRMA for bashing, and also with Durango branding with race upgrades applied)

The D8T is a solid truck, but it's a older platform, and getting spares for a nitro conversion may be trickier. But for your needs either works fine: the D8T is just a bit more of a 'science project' . Either way you're not investing for retirement... this isn't really a choice you can get 'wrong'.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:09 AM
Tech Adept

thank you for the fast answer... I probably forgot to mention that the D8T already has the tekno v4 conversion installed.

this is what makes my decision so hard.Only have picture material but the tekno conversions are looking pretty solid.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

From personal experience, the Talion is a wonderful racer out of the box... fast, nimble, excellent suspension geometry. However, after about 3-4 months of steady racing on an outdoor track the truck was literally falling apart, all the plastic was garbage and my race machine was now a piece of garbage, turning brand new bearings into shredded cheese within a couple packs. Sure, you could convert the Talion into a DEX8T, but it will be cost prohibitive I believe. I sold my Talion but it was a great entry into outdoor RC racing.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by HoldDaMayo View Post
From personal experience, the Talion is a wonderful racer out of the box... fast, nimble, excellent suspension geometry. However, after about 3-4 months of steady racing on an outdoor track the truck was literally falling apart, all the plastic was garbage and my race machine was now a piece of garbage, turning brand new bearings into shredded cheese within a couple packs. Sure, you could convert the Talion into a DEX8T, but it will be cost prohibitive I believe. I sold my Talion but it was a great entry into outdoor RC racing.
It fell apart after a few months ? That doesn't bode well for the Talion's durability.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:48 AM
Tech Adept

from what I read the talion seems to be as rigid as the dex8t, and as far as I know the d8t is a tank.

talion is a new design, the d8t a pretty old one, but the tekno conversion makes it better , maybe.

lots of questions. maybe somebody has direct contact with both cars.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:17 PM
Tech Adept

As rigid as the DEX8T , is that good or bad ?
Old 02-07-2016, 02:21 PM
Tech Adept

both from what I read ;-)
Old 02-08-2016, 04:43 AM
Tech Adept

Are the dimensions pretty much the same on both trucks ?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DeathWish9 View Post
It fell apart after a few months ? That doesn't bode well for the Talion's durability.
In those few months, maybe 4 months at the most, i probably put 60 packs through it... so it was a lot of use, but MAJOR issues with the pillow balls constantly slipping, bearings blowing up VERY quickly, and lots of issues with shocks. I raced this thing very hard and actually competed pretty well with maybe 2 or 3 first place finishes in a small class.

However, I'll stick to my guns and continually argue this isn't a vehicle that can really hold up to the abuse these big truggies take. It actually starts off feeling like a diamond in the rough, but then fairly quickly degrades into a lump of coal.