Wiki Posts
Search

Rookie Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Rookie Question

Why are 4wd buggies ran at a lower ride height than 2wd buggies but on the flip side 4wd shortcourse is ran at a higher ride height than 2wd shortcourse?
Old 02-06-2016, 02:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyD
Why are 4wd buggies ran at a lower ride height than 2wd buggies but on the flip side 4wd shortcourse is ran at a higher ride height than 2wd shortcourse?
Well it all depends on preference, limitations of the vehicle as well as jumps. The angle of the take offs and landings, roll center, center of gravity, etc.

I am sure others can chime in as well.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

at the last carpet race I was at, I didn't notice a ride height diff between 1/10 4wd buggy and 1/10 2wd buggy. both were running very low.

For 4wd Short course, if you take into account the size of the tires, probably only so low you can go without something looking off with the suspension.

At the last race here, I was down to about 22mm for 4x4 SCT, and probably could have gone lower too.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Most of the setups show 2wd buggies in the 23-24mm range while the 4wd are usually in 20mm range. No biggie just thought it was interesting.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyD
Most of the setups show 2wd buggies in the 23-24mm range while the 4wd are usually in 20mm range. No biggie just thought it was interesting.
Have not thought much about this, but I suspect it comes down to the old rule of adjustment. Make sure the axles are level with the ground.

That being said now you have a-arm design, hubs designs, transmission height, and more components deciding what "level" is.