"High traction" clay >

"High traction" clay

Like Tree2Likes

"High traction" clay

Old 02-05-2016, 10:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by youngrigo View Post
I'll tell you this much... The hard pack clay with slicks makes it so that even the slower drivers can get closer times then the fast drivers... It closes the gap somewhat
I agree with this. I race at an indoor carpet track. Just to let you know the traction is the same as one of our indoor clay tracks and car setup is the same. I also race at an outdoor track that is at times dusty and traction is much less than the hi grip carpet track. I find that the hi grip is somewhat of an equalizer. What I mean by this is that it reduces the gap from average Joe (me) and the top racers. We get the same guys at both tracks. I go from getting spanked to getting beat. Some of it may be related to better set up knowledge on low to medium grip conditions. I feel that on high grip the set up window is larger, hence an average setup car on the latter is not a huge disadvantage.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by symmetricon View Post
You don't race much indoor on high bite clay do you?
My local track i race at is a indoor and just went to pretty much a high bite clay with misters... Before eveyone was running Proline Electrons and i would be getting smoked bad... Now everyone runs slicks and i still get beat but can put up more of a fight.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I originally balked at racing on a small indoor track. Boy was I wrong. I find it so much more enjoyable.

Tires last me months.....not one day like my outdoor track.

Maintenance is diminished significantly. What this means to me is a many more laps.

I also get to race in air conditioning and never get rained out.

I know enjoy indoor racing more...... Give it a try....
Old 02-05-2016, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

FLORIDA within 120 miles from my house. Have raced on all of the tracks (except 1 of the oval's) listed.

Race off road

Outdoors water treated red clay, don't race on this kind of track any more. (1 tracks) races 1 or 2 times a year!!!

Outdoors calcium treated red clay will blue groove to BLACK. GREAT to race on. (1 track) HIGH turnout. My home track for off road.

Outdoor water treated clay (NOT RED), not worth the drive to get there. (3 tracks) Low turnout

Indoors SEALED clay, drive 2 hours to race on this EVERY month. Surface is the same every race, every week and every month. 100% HIGH traction.
Have raced there 5 times (10 qual's and 5 mains) on the same JC (Gold) Barcodes. (1 Track) HIGH turnout (JConcepts holds races there)

Indoors carpet, IF the jumps aren't built right, it's a waste of time.
(2 tracks CLOSED)

Race on road

Orange soda treated parking lot, hour drive once every month. (1 track) Good turn out

Sealed asphalt 20 minute drive every two weeks (1 track) Good turn out. My home track for on road.

Oval

Orange soda treated parking lot, hour drive once every month. (1 track) HIGH turn out

Asphalt soda treated (1 tracks) HIGH turn out

Sealed asphalt (2 track) Good turn out

===

Turn out is high at a track surface is constant, LOW if not.

IF slicks work on the track, will race on it!!! IF Step Pins are the tire, NO!!!
Old 02-05-2016, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp View Post
I originally balked at racing on a small indoor track. Boy was I wrong. I find it so much more enjoyable.

Tires last me months.....not one day like my outdoor track.

Maintenance is diminished significantly. What this means to me is a many more laps.

I also get to race in air conditioning and never get rained out.

I know enjoy indoor racing more...... Give it a try....
Agree,I love racing indoors.I guess Im spoiled.Home track is Outback in Chico.The land of the best clay and drivers,(imo)
Old 02-05-2016, 02:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'd like to get up to Outback up in Chico to check it out, I like LSR in Sacramento, good vibe, nice facilities, good general surface condition too. My setup from LSR worked pretty well at OCRC this week while I was down there on business.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Was having a thought about the current state of indoor dirt and the health of the hobby. The last several years have seen a refinement of indoor racing conditions to a hard pack Surface that most consider high grip.
Several my ago, most of the places I raced had a moist Surface that was soft-ish and the best tires were nearly slick clay compound. Tires worked pretty well when new and got better with age until the foams flattened oit. Traction additives weren't needed.

Fast forward a.handful of years- near slicked clay compound tires are still the right thing but new tires don't work at all, even worse without traction additives.

The dirt is the same (at the tracks where I race), I believe the prep has changed, leaving more WD40 in it and a harder Surface that while more durable, places much more specific requirements on tires & tire prep. Traction is now decidedly medium, less than before.

Are we headed in the wrong direction? Because tire game is proven to be part of what kills on-road.
Davidka, I think I am slightly confused. Are you saying that early on your tracks were "wet" and now they are running "dry" ??
Old 02-05-2016, 03:09 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by youngrigo View Post
My local track i race at is a indoor and just went to pretty much a high bite clay with misters... Before eveyone was running Proline Electrons and i would be getting smoked bad... Now everyone runs slicks and i still get beat but can put up more of a fight.
Slicks make racing one lined. Since grip is so high, there isn't any give or leeway on both braking and on power.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Hey Mason

Wonder what track this is????? :-)

Indoors SEALED clay, drive 2 hours to race on this EVERY month. Surface is the same every race, every week and every month. 100% HIGH traction.
Have raced there 5 times (10 qual's and 5 mains) on the same JC (Gold) Barcodes. (1 Track) HIGH turnout (JConcepts holds races there)

See you 2/20!!!!
Old 02-05-2016, 05:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Davidka, I think I am slightly confused. Are you saying that early on your tracks were "wet" and now they are running "dry" ??
Not exactly. The best track in the region moved their off-road track from.a small room to a big room. They also adopted the practice of using WD40 on their packing equipment when building layouts. The large air space dries the track faster (the colder, the more the heaters run, the drier it gets).

I really think it's the wd40, both what is used on the track and what we're applying to our tires. Seems like we're literally trying to mix oil and water and finding traction on it.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great place to race. Just sometimes worry that we're adopting practices that had negative consequences in the past (on road TC racing).
Old 02-05-2016, 05:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

I cannot stand those people that whale on slick tires and high grip clay but when you mention that astro is grippier and isn't dirt they ignore you and keep the old This isn't offroad argument. The truth is no one likes spinning out with a 2wd on a dusty track. You want loam, go big or go home. Literally, pick up an 8th buggy and your wet dreams of low grip and spinning out if you don't go slow will all be true.