Reedy 7.5 M3 performance

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Slashn77

Reedy 7.5 M3 performance

Old 02-01-2016, 09:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Reedy 7.5 M3 performance

I'm struggling a little with my buggy power system and it's got me scratching my head. If anyone is running the new Reedy 7.5 M3 and getting gobs of power, could you please share your gearing & timing?

I bought this motor thinking it would have stupid power and I would just de-tune it down until I got used to it. I am now geared 24/81 with a 2.60 trans 20* endbell 17 deg ESC boost. Motor is getting warm, but not hot. Throttle seems like my old 10.5. I have been running 10.5 & older gen reedy 8.5 and get much more power with less gear, so I'm really confused.

Please help, thanks!
Old 02-02-2016, 11:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jschindler View Post
I'm struggling a little with my buggy power system and it's got me scratching my head. If anyone is running the new Reedy 7.5 M3 and getting gobs of power, could you please share your gearing & timing?

I bought this motor thinking it would have stupid power and I would just de-tune it down until I got used to it. I am now geared 24/81 with a 2.60 trans 20* endbell 17 deg ESC boost. Motor is getting warm, but not hot. Throttle seems like my old 10.5. I have been running 10.5 & older gen reedy 8.5 and get much more power with less gear, so I'm really confused.

Please help, thanks!
I don't have a 7.5, but I can share my experience with the Mach 3 vs Mach 2.

I run a 6.5 and I started with the Mach 2. Good power, temps were good and didn't have any issues, etc. Reedy then released the Mach 3 and I immediately grabbed one, but had the same experience. It seemed as if the Mach 3 was smoother, but lacked power. I liked the smoothness initially, but the more I used the Mach 3, the more I wanted to put the Mach 2 back in.

I tried different timing, different gearing, and at the end of the day, i just had to accept the fact that I couldn't get the newer motor to feel as powerful as the old. The Mach 3 just lacked the balls that the Mach 2 had. I really wanted the Mach 3 to work, but no matter what I tried, I just felt like I took a step backwards by using the Mach 3.

Since then I have switched to Fantom FR-1 and it's night and day better than the Mach 3. I hope you have better luck than me getting the Mach 3 to perform like the older Mach 2's.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Freeski View Post

I run a 6.5 and I started with the Mach 2. Good power, temps were good and didn't have any issues, etc. Reedy then released the Mach 3 and I immediately grabbed one, but had the same experience. It seemed as if the Mach 3 was smoother, but lacked power. I liked the smoothness initially, but the more I used the Mach 3, the more I wanted to put the Mach 2 back in.

I tried different timing, different gearing, and at the end of the day, i just had to accept the fact that I couldn't get the newer motor to feel as powerful as the old. The Mach 3 just lacked the balls that the Mach 2 had. I really wanted the Mach 3 to work, but no matter what I tried, I just felt like I took a step backwards by using the Mach 3.

Since then I have switched to Fantom FR-1 and it's night and day better than the Mach 3. I hope you have better luck than me getting the Mach 3 to perform like the older Mach 2's.
I have the 7.5 m3, and I found it to be extremely smooth almost like driving a 21.5? Even though it was fast and easy to control there was no punch. Finally bought a Trinity 5.5 and love it.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you for sharing your experience!

That confirms the lack of torque I am feeling. I guess another way you can phrase it is smoothness. This is an exaggeration, but I thought maybe they meant to put 17.5 on the can instead of 7.5.

I guess I'll gear back down and time it up and it should be ok, I was just confused as to why I would have to do that?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2016, 05:07 PM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i'm curious if you are purely talking about feel or is your lap times slower.
All the testing that was done with the motors showed that this is the feel that the drivers requested. They "feel" slower but make faster lap times under most conditions. If the track is super hooked up, carpet or slicks, you might need to motor up a half turn.

The gearing and motor timing are close to what team guys used at the Reedy race. ESC timing is much higher than anyone team wise uses though.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

I agree I would look at lap times before passing judgement
Old 02-02-2016, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post
All the testing that was done with the motors showed that this is the feel that the drivers requested. They "feel" slower but make faster lap times under most conditions. If the track is super hooked up, carpet or slicks, you might need to motor up a half turn.

The gearing and motor timing are close to what team guys used at the Reedy race. ESC timing is much higher than anyone team wise uses though.
Originally Posted by t8rtot View Post
I agree I would look at lap times before passing judgement
I really like Reedy products and really wanted the Mach 3 to work for me, but just felt like I took a step backwards with the lack of power. I agree that there is improved smoothness, but at the expense of punch/power? That's the impression I have.

Regarding lap times, initially I had slower laps until I played around with timing and gearing. I was able to get back to my normal lap times, but it just felt like I had to work harder to achieve those same times when using the Mach 3. The Mach 3 just feels underpowered. I am yet to speak to a person at my local track that says the Mach 3's are overpowered. To be honest, the majority have experienced what OP has where the hope is that the Mach 3 will be better all around, but find themselves wondering if the newer Mach 3 is actually an upgrade. I had high hopes for this newer generation of Reedy motors, but it seems like Reedy missed the mark a bit.

As Sean mentions, it's as if you have to motor up a half turn just to get the same power you had previously. In my opinion. it sounds as if Reedy turned down the power of the Mach 2's in exchange for added smoothness which is noticeable in the Mach 3's. Being told to motor up a half turn is almost confirmation of that theory.

At the end of the day, I really wanted the Reedy Mach 3 to be better, but just don't feel that it is the right motor for me.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

I feel for y'all guys from such a premier brand. Just for kicks and giggles I love my Viper vst Black Edition 8 dot 5
Old 02-02-2016, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

Maybe I can be some help
I went from a 17.5 M2 to a 17.5 M3 in my B5M FL with gearing at first staying the same for the first 15 packs and I definitely noticed a lack of initial punch but only from a dead stop or almost a dead stop from rounding a tight corner to hit the straight away with the gearing at 30/72
But what I really like is the entire rest of the power band being EXTREMELY smooth and easy to drive as well as my motor temps dropped 5-8 degrees Fahrenheit which IMO overall is great and well worth it

I will take that downside to the several upsides any day because I changed the gearings to a 28/72 then settled on 28/69 and my lap times were just as good if not maybe a .1 faster because of the benefit of the rest of rest of the power band being so smooth and consistent!

I believe they definitely did this on purpose with the M3 because slightly adjusting the gearing gave me the punch feel back but then I had the rest of the band smoothness that benefitted me.
I see why some of you are hesitant because originally with the same gearing I was flat out angry at first and was going to sell the motor but I am very glad that I didn't.
And this is for spec stock class so maybe someone else can chime in on experimenting with the motors timing and boost because I did not mess that that.
Doodle likes this.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for chiming in. I realize the ESC timing is high, but my reasoning is I was slow on the long straight & i didn't have a bigger pinion / smaller spur with me. Since I'm not way overgeared, I'll work on the mech timing and gear & hopefully get to where I need to be.

As for lap times, I really don't have a baseline since this is a new car, new track and I haven't raced offroad in 2 years. That's why I posted here, because I have too many variables right now, so I wanted to get some other racers opinions on the motor. Heck it could even be this Hobbywing ESC, because ive never used it before but I've heard good things.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:44 PM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I really like Reedy products and really wanted the Mach 3 to work for me, but just felt like I took a step backwards with the lack of power. I agree that there is improved smoothness, but at the expense of punch/power? That's the impression I have.

Regarding lap times, initially I had slower laps until I played around with timing and gearing. I was able to get back to my normal lap times, but it just felt like I had to work harder to achieve those same times when using the Mach 3. The Mach 3 just feels underpowered. I am yet to speak to a person at my local track that says the Mach 3's are overpowered. To be honest, the majority have experienced what OP has where the hope is that the Mach 3 will be better all around, but find themselves wondering if the newer Mach 3 is actually an upgrade. I had high hopes for this newer generation of Reedy motors, but it seems like Reedy missed the mark a bit.

As Sean mentions, it's as if you have to motor up a half turn just to get the same power you had previously. In my opinion. it sounds as if Reedy turned down the power of the Mach 2's in exchange for added smoothness which is noticeable in the Mach 3's. Being told to motor up a half turn is almost confirmation of that theory.

At the end of the day, I really wanted the Reedy Mach 3 to be better, but just don't feel that it is the right motor for me.
Where do you race and what is the surface?

Most comments I have gotten have been positive. At first there was a little adapting but a change in gearing and slightly different ESC settings and the guys were set.

They seem to think the improved throttle and brake feel far offset the small change in power. It most instances as long as you have enough power to do the biggest jump then the straight speed can be corrected by gearing or ESC adjustment.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

If you are not happy with the motor you can always send it back for Reedy to take a look. It is possible there is a problem with the motor or even that the wrong stator was installed. It would not be the first time in history.

If your 7.5 really feels like 17.5 or 21.5 as some have stated, there is likely something wrong.

Another thing to realize is that motors, like cars, need adjustments so that they suit your driving style and track conditions. Perhaps gear one tooth higher (what I do personally in off-road), or add a little end bell timing (add 5 degrees). What you may think is slow now could wake up when you make a small adjustment.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Tech Adept

Where do you race and what is the surface?

Most comments I have gotten have been positive. At first there was a little adapting but a change in gearing and slightly different ESC settings and the guys were set.

They seem to think the improved throttle and brake feel far offset the small change in power. It most instances as long as you have enough power to do the biggest jump then the straight speed can be corrected by gearing or ESC adjustment.
The track is SCVRC and it is indoor clay. I would say that the surface is medium to medium/high traction. I currently use bar flys for tires, but there are some that use slicks regularly and get good results. I race weekly and occasionally twice a week.

I am not a chassis sponsored driver and I am only one person with an opinion that I am sharing over the internet, so I hope that people reading these posts take my experience with a grain of salt and realize that I don't speak for everybody. I am just one person with an opinion.

Is the Mach 3 a bad motor? Absolutely not. It just isn't the best fit for me. The added smoothness is a welcome addition, but I would have preferred not to have sacrificed power as a side effect. In the current layout, we have a large quad that is right after a tight 180. Basically there is not a large run up and with the Mach 3, I had to take the 180 wider to have enough run up to make the quad. With the FR-1's power, I can make the quad without the run up that the Mach 3 required. Sometimes a racer forces you to take a less than optimal racing line and by having ample power, I can still make the jump with or without the run up. This is what I mean when I say that I had to work harder to run the same lap times when using the Mach 3.

As I mentioned earlier, I like Reedy products and I am only one person sharing their opinion. This post is most definitely not an attempt to sling mud at Reedy or Sean and I truly believe that Reedy/Associated has some of the best support (probably number one in my opinion) in RC.