Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fyrstormer

Tamiya XV-01 Gearing Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 01:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tamiya XV-01 Gearing Options

I'm converting my XV-01T into a FWD rally car, so I've been looking for ways to minimize torque since the front tires have limited traction. One obvious way is to use a slower motor and higher gearing. So I thought I'd pass along the highest gearing I've been able to fit in the XV-01:

37t 48p Robinson steel pinion
69t 48p Associated nylon spur w/ Tamiya XV-01 slipper-clutch kit

Larger pinions would fit with the dust cover removed, but I can't think of any good reason to risk letting sand get stuck in the gears.

The stock gearing is 25t (converted from Mod 0.6 to 48p) and 77t, or 3.08:1, so the highest gearing I've been able to fit is 1.86:1 or 66% higher than stock. Something to keep in mind when choosing gear options for this vehicle.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

The Associated spur you are talking about is this one, right?

On top of the 77t spur that comes with slipper, I'm thinking about getting 69t and 72t Asso spurs, plus 27t - 38t Yeah Racing aluminum pinion sets (I understand that I won't be able to use the 38t pinon). I already have 24t and 25t TRF pinions.

Is this a good set of gears for XV-01?

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

One more question - do you know what is the largest spur that fits XV-01 (and corresponding pinion), bot with and without slipper?

I'm asking because I've realized that I need acceleration more than top speed, which means that I should get big spur and small pinion, right?
Old 09-24-2016, 07:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by haplm
The Associated spur you are talking about is this one, right?

On top of the 77t spur that comes with slipper, I'm thinking about getting 69t and 72t Asso spurs, plus 27t - 38t Yeah Racing aluminum pinion sets (I understand that I won't be able to use the 38t pinon). I already have 24t and 25t TRF pinions.

Is this a good set of gears for XV-01?

Thanks!

Actually you CAN fit a 38T for a pinion. I am running one now with a 72T Spur.

The Associated spur you linked to is the correct one for this car's slipper clutch.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The largest spur that fits is 81t 48p. If you go with 64p you can fit an even larger spur, but ensuring a proper mesh will be much more important because 64p gear teeth are tiny.

Yes, you can fit a 38t 48p pinion. I went up to 40t which required grinding away some material on the inside of the gear cover, but 38t fits without modification.

If you stick with 48p gears, the minimum tooth count (pinion + spur) is 100 and the maximum is 113, unless you grind away some of the motor plate to get more room for adjustment.
Taper likes this.